• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF KC92 and Kube MIE subwoofers

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The question is at wich Disposition? The kf92 has an limiter to make shure it stars at low distortion
They were both tested at their highest output setting.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Good thing I will never be interested in subs with my like 20 apartment neighbors in a 10 meter radius. :p
The :p is on you, if you can’t play music at higher volume.

Leon7791

They were both tested at their highest output setting.
Sorry i mean Distortion. The kf92 has realy low Distortion. Also the svs are not good subwoofer for music as i read in many reviews. they are not realy fast.

juliangst

Sorry i mean Distortion. The kf92 has realy low Distortion. Also the svs are not good subwoofer for music as i read in many reviews. they are not realy fast.
Anecdotal claims like 'not being good for music' or not being 'fast' are as unscientific as it gets.
The only thing that could be related to 'speed' is the group delay which is higher on the SVS but should still be inaudible.
The Arendal 1961 1s is a lot better in that regard and still half the price of the KEF.
The room, placement and room correction will have a significantly higher impact on sound than having a few milliseconds less group delay or a few percent less distortion.

I'm a KEF fanboy but from a consumer perspective I don't really see the point in getting any of those overpriced micro subs when you can get better performance and more features for significantly less money (and the same box size in the case of the SB1000).

The MIE subs looks interesting though if they can deliver similar performance to the competition.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no such thing as “fast bass” it’s usually “no bass” room and sub go together in a way that you can’t separate them so listening to a sub is actually hard to do and eq is always necessary then you have “fast bass” when the droning room modes are somewhat mitigated :) subs that go really deep can provoke more room problems and appear “slow” but it’s usually the room .

SVS has a processing delay due to its functions ( PEQ etc ) your bass managing possibly need to accommodate that .
It’s quite possible to fail at setting up these .

That said I I've ordered two KC92 when the logical choice would have been two closed arendahl :)
I wanted closed box subs for the application .

I have the KEF LS60 active speakers and wanted to use their internal bass management who is somewhat lacking , but it worked fine with KEF’s own subs ( with ready made presets ) and I could try in the store with one KF92. I don’t think any sub with processing delay are always ok with LS60’s own integration you have to try first and arendahl is an ID brand ( hassle to return )
The plan is to use PEQ in my WiiM streamer to fix the final niggles ( if that does not work I’ll order an Mini DSP and try that ).

I’ve got a package deal with the speakers and the dual subs together :) these are simply to expensive otherwise.

the size works with my placement options for two of them ( my previous rhythmic FV15HP could only be in one corner and nowhere else ).

This is a music only system . The KC92 would not cut it as a HT sub not even two ? It will work in my medium sized room for music with my typical listening levels.

I really like the look with the charcoal black LS60 and Piano black KC92 and the rest of the room decor .
Subs usually looks horrible and can be showed into a corner in your HT room but not much else .

It does not have to make sense :) I simply liked those KC92 .

If I ordered passive speakers I go with dual arendahl and mini DSP SHD . ( but I liked the LS60 to much ).

I’ll eat my words when the subs arrive, maybe it does not work ?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Anecdotal claims like 'not being good for music' or not being 'fast' are as unscientific as it gets.
The only thing that could be related to 'speed' is the group delay which is higher on the SVS but should still be inaudible.
The Arendal 1961 1s is a lot better in that regard and still half the price of the KEF.
The room, placement and room correction will have a significantly higher impact on sound than having a few milliseconds less group delay or a few percent less distortion.

I'm a KEF fanboy but from a consumer perspective I don't really see the point in getting any of those overpriced micro subs when you can get better performance and more features for significantly less money (and the same box size in the case of the SB1000).

The MIE subs looks interesting though if they can deliver similar performance to the competition.
Considering that KEF has very, very competent speakers for large areas (think of the in-walls), I'm quite surprised they do not make larger duals.

Price aside, they have the engineering and know how to create something like the Arendal 1723 duals and chances are, the market to sell them.

lossendae

I do understand though:
- In european most markets where people live in appartments, and have limited space, the KC62 is already way too powerful (granted it's only with the pre-requesite of wanting cordial relation with your neighbours).
- Microsubs are prettier and take less space than more powerful options.

I had both the SVS1000 and SVS2000. Both were uglier and the 2000 was underwhelming, but I suspect the latter was broken (It was a loan from a store).

Esthetics and usage in context should not be ignored for a pure consumer perspective. That's why Kef made those subs, and why the KC62 is a success despite its price.
As far as pure performance for the bucks is not a concern, those are pretty much the only option who combine small footprint, decent performance and nice look. I would add the 3000 from SVS as well, but it's not as pretty as the Kef subs.

Willem

Major Contributor
I do understand though:
- In european most markets where people live in appartments, and have limited space, the KC62 is already way too powerful (granted it's only with the pre-requesite of wanting cordial relation with your neighbours).
- Microsubs are prettier and take less space than more powerful options.

I had both the SVS1000 and SVS2000. Both were uglier and the 2000 was underwhelming, but I suspect the latter was broken (It was a loan from a store).

Esthetics and usage in context should not be ignored for a pure consumer perspective. That's why Kef made those subs, and why the KC62 is a success despite its price.
As far as pure performance for the bucks is not a concern, those are pretty much the only option who combine small footprint, decent performance and nice look. I would add the 3000 from SVS as well, but it's not as pretty as the Kef subs.
Not everyone in Europe lives in a small apartment. Many people in the Netherlands don't, with an average space of some 60 sqm per person. But to come back to the rationale for the KC62 and the KC92, they combine small size with pretty good performance, and very good performance for their size. If you live in a US mansion that does not matter, but if space costs a lot, it is worthwhile to spend more on having the same performance in a smaller size, with good looks in the bargain. It is for the same reason that in cites like Paris or Rome with very high housing prices you find furniture shops with expensive and very clever space saving furniture. Finally, the dual opposed construction of these subs transmits far fewer vibrations to the building's structure, which is quite an advantage in an apartment building, but again, at a price. In my case, I am contemplating a KC62 as a fourth sub in my 70 sqm listening space, because that fourth sub can only be placed in a largish inbuilt book case.
For those with more space KEF have the excellent Kube series. Those subs are quite a bit larger, therefore don't need as powerful an amplifier, and can be a lot cheaper for their output/extension and still look far more stylish than SVS alternatives. I use a Kube 8b on the opposite side wall of the bookcase, a pretty ugly SVS SB2000 classic in the front corner, hidden by one of my large main speakers, and a good looking PV1d in the back, in front of a window.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We actually have a house . Living room with the subs and LS60 is aprox 5.5m*3m 17 sqm ( 2.4 meters in heigth ), but with large openings to other areas of the house which is fairly open and some walls and roof construction is a bit lossy I sit 2.7 meters from the speakers who are 2.4 meters apart .
This is medium sized living room in sweden :) probably a shoe closet in the US ?

Oddball

I have quite a bit of subs, "large" towers playing subs, albeit in a a big loft, but still intrigued with the KC92. Small factor, push-pull no vibe design. I can place this one on top of the Arendal 1723 2V that is inches behind the MLP and call it a day. SPL at 15 inches away would be well, destructive. I don't see pricing being competitive, on the contrary, but understand that this design is unique and does have it's place with the crowd that could afford it. I do mind that there is no XLR. For this price level XLR is pretty much a must. People run long cables to the subs and it does make a difference.

Willem

Major Contributor
You would be better off not stacking the subs, but distributing them in the room in uncorrelated positions.

Oddball

You would be better off not stacking the subs, but distributing them in the room in uncorrelated positions.
My 4 subs are already distributed, and 6 towers distributed even more, all playing LFE to their abilities. The idea behind the KEF is final nail right behind the…head.

juliangst

For multisub setups passive subwoofers might also be a good option because you dont need to run power everywhere and don't need long RCAs that could pick up noise.
The B&W SW10, SW12 and SW15 look like decent options.

ban25

I have quite a bit of subs, "large" towers playing subs, albeit in a a big loft, but still intrigued with the KC92. Small factor, push-pull no vibe design. I can place this one on top of the Arendal 1723 2V that is inches behind the MLP and call it a day. SPL at 15 inches away would be well, destructive. I don't see pricing being competitive, on the contrary, but understand that this design is unique and does have it's place with the crowd that could afford it. I do mind that there is no XLR. For this price level XLR is pretty much a must. People run long cables to the subs and it does make a difference.
Yes this is far and away the biggest issue with KEF subwoofers. If you want XLR, your only option is the Reference 8b. I have already done a very long and complex run of RCA for my KF92, so I won't be swapping out to XLR anytime soon. However, I will have a bit more space in the front stage once my Blades are in place, so there will be an opportunity to add a KC92 up front.

juliangst

Looks like KEF is now going the REL route:

1713561162500.png

juliangst

It's interesting that KEF promotes this stack in a setup with the KEF Blade Meta. I would rather expect seeing their Reference Subs next to the Blades but maybe I'm just interpreting too much into that CGI picture.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
It's interesting that KEF promotes this stack in a setup with the KEF Blade Meta. I would rather expect seeing their Reference Subs next to the Blades but maybe I'm just interpreting too much into that CGI picture.
Well, the 8b was never a good sale subwoofer, makes sense to promote the new baby
Because of the low hz, stackikg them should give a lot of output in the lower bass

Top Bottom