• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Chromecast HDMI 4K with Google TV 16-bit or 24-bit Res throught optical TV out PCM to a DAC 192Khz ?

nfranq

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if the Chromecast HDMI 4K with Google TV can stream 24-bit audio, especially with Qobuz ?

In other words, is it capable of decoding FLAC Lossless and at what maximum depth? 24-bit or 16-bit? And at what maximum frequency 48 or 96kHz ?

If it doesn't decode FLAC, what format does it support when I stream Qobuz from my phone throught TV and then with an optical TV/Out cable in a 192khz DAC to loudspeakers ? PCM resampled to 24bit/48khz or 16bit/48khz ?

I read in different places that TV, even with optical output, can only produce resampled 16-bit/48khz sound maximum due to various limitations...

This question to know if it is worth investing in the old Chromecast AUDIO in order to obtain real Hi-Res 24bits-96Khz sound in my Hi-Fi amplifier, despite the fact it has become unaffordable second-hand in Europe given that Google has stopped its marketing.

Many thanks for replys,

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know is the simple answer but suspect the bigger issue is what your tv will do to it before the optical out.

Even if the chromecast device can pass through HDMI bit perfect I suspect most tv will downsample to a standard but depth and sample rate and I would be amazed if that was 24/192.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @nfranq! Welcome to ASR.

Which Chromecast 4K are you referring to?
51M+qQwzrdL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg Chromecast-Ultra-from-Stadia-Premiere-Edition-bundle.jpg

I have the black one (Chromecast Ultra), as well as the CCA, and could test the resolution via Chromecast->LG OLED E7->Toslink out.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Wikipedia says S/PDIF is 32, 44.1 or 48kHz at 20-bits, or 24 bits with the "pro" AES3 version.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Wikipedia says S/PDIF is 32, 44.1 or 48kHz at 20-bits, or 24 bits with the "pro" AES3 version.
That is a bit too pessimistic.
S/PDIF is a 32 bit word with a 8 bit preamble and a 24 bit payload (the audio).
Toslink is formally capped at 24 / 96 (but modern implementations do much better) and the coax is 24/192.

Top Bottom