• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to manage the mental somersaults, avoiding brain damage and brain rewiring from reading news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Read less news, more literature. Long form writing should be better for the brain.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
but do we limit it to genocide, or include apartheid?

I think most people can easily agree that apartheid inside a country is wrong.

Recently several Australian states sanctioned public display of Nazi regalia

I see no problem with having historical items displayed in a museum type setting as long as accurate historical information is also present. I would be against any "museum" display that actually promoted Nazi items as something to be admired. It should also include information about their evil actions with the Holocaust.

Museums have displays of medieval torture devices without advocating for torture.

But we can also over-react to expression of legitimate positions: sanctions and penalties against protest in general. Defining legitimate vs extreme vs actively harmful to others isn't unproblematic.

Actual peaceful protests should be allowed in general, but not in places that interfere with others. Anyone blocking public roads, entrances to buildings, etc. should be arrested instantly and jailed. The same goes for idiots damaging paintings or any other public or private property. Violent protests that include riots, burning, looting, etc. should not be allowed in a civil society and all who participate in the already illegal acts should be arrested and jailed.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I think most people can easily agree that apartheid inside a country is wrong.

I don't mean the practice, but rather the advocacy of same.

I see no problem with having historical items displayed in a museum type setting as long as accurate historical information is also present. I would be against any "museum" display that actually promoted Nazi items as something to be admired. It should also include information about their evil actions with the Holocaust.

Yes, public display wasn't the right term, I referred to prohibition preventing eg swastika armbands or flags in a public march or event venue, not historical displays.

Actual peaceful protests should be allowed in general, but not in places that interfere with others. Anyone blocking public roads, entrances to buildings, etc. should be arrested instantly and jailed. The same goes for idiots damaging paintings or any other public or private property. Violent protests that include riots, burning, looting, etc. should not be allowed in a civil society and all who participate in the already illegal acts should be arrested and jailed.

Here we diverge. Civil disobedience and other forms of protest may legitimately incur inconvenience. Picket lines shouldn't automatically lead to jail terms, for example. Significantly escalating penalties for protest activities well beyond the normal penalties for that activity (in any non-protest context) is anti-democratic. Usually serviceable penalties exist and statutory escalations are performative/punitive/over-reach. But we probably go beyond the scope of permitted debate on this forum if we get into that, so I'll stop there.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here we diverge. Civil disobedience and other forms of protest may legitimately incur inconvenience. Picket lines shouldn't automatically lead to jail terms, for example. Significantly escalating penalties for protest activities well beyond the normal penalties for that activity (in any non-protest context) is anti-democratic. Usually serviceable penalties exist and statutory escalations are performative/punitive/over-reach. But we probably go beyond the scope of permitted debate on this forum if we get into that, so I'll stop there.

I'm not sure about picket lines.

I was referring to the jerks blocking traffic on public roads keeping innocent people from getting to work, appointments, hospitals, etc. That is completely wrong and those idiots should be removed from the roads and arrested.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure about picket lines.

I was referring to the jerks blocking traffic on public roads keeping innocent people from getting to work, appointments, hospitals, etc. That is completely wrong and those idiots should be removed from the roads and arrested.
Add me to this frustration as well. I dislike that too. We seem to very similar @Brian Hall. It's comforting for me...LoL. :D

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1709951884984.png

1709951935719.png

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this thread has morphed and maybe it has become a bit political in the terms of that which the MODs dislike? Maybe I'm wrong and I have noticed in the past that what I consider good healthy commentary can sometimes be deemed by others that have deeper insight and more ideas about stuff than I. I hope the MODs don't kill the thread. I am sorry for the mess @ the MODs. I received a immediate and touching outpouring of support and strength upon posting the thread. I needed that and upon asking I received that and me being a atheist without a formal religion to draw from and not a person that studies psychology or mental health skills I acknowledge that I sometimes have weak management skills in matters of my own mental health and some important life skills. I really enjoyed the prayer that was posted here in this thread and it helped majorly which surprised me a lot. :D Thanks again and it goes to show that we all can benefit from each other in many different ways and means. Today I used my Guerilla-Get-in-and Out-Fast tactic of reading the news very quickly, skimming and scanning and avoiding the draw and addictive allure of the post news commentary. I completed the read of all the articles in several minutes and I avoided the usual repetitive messages that suck the life out of people as if they are a resource to be depleted like a vampire at the jugular does. Somedays I wish that I could move to Alaska even though I am from Canada. I watch a lot of YouTube camping, bush craft, snowmobiling, whitewater kayaking and trucking stuff that provides me with a wholesome source of energy and some of that comes from Alaska. It's a very nice place with a lot of tasty wild food resources that I would love to be able to participate in harvesting and enjoying. But that's a fantasy...LoL. :D Anyway carry on peeps and do try to keep the thread clear of stuff that the MODs will be frustrated about. :D

Robin L

Master Contributor
My father crossed that bridge. Not this particular march - the one that immediately followed, the one that wasn't blocked by the powers that be. I suppose this is an example of the dividing line between ideology and political action. The kind that ends in results. Make of that what you will. Sorry if this oversteps the intended boundary of this discussion, but sometimes that's where the discussion leads.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I think this thread has morphed and maybe it has become a bit political in the terms of that which the MODs dislike? Maybe I'm wrong and I have noticed in the past that what I consider good healthy commentary can sometimes be deemed by others that have deeper insight and more ideas about stuff than I. I hope the MODs don't kill the thread. I am sorry for the mess @ the MODs. I received a immediate and touching outpouring of support and strength upon posting the thread. I needed that and upon asking I received that and me being a atheist without a formal religion to draw from and not a person that studies psychology or mental health skills I acknowledge that I sometimes have weak management skills in matters of my own mental health and some important life skills. I really enjoyed the prayer that was posted here in this thread and it helped majorly which surprised me a lot. :D Thanks again and it goes to show that we all can benefit from each other in many different ways and means. Today I used my Guerilla-Get-in-and Out-Fast tactic of reading the news very quickly, skimming and scanning and avoiding the draw and addictive allure of the post news commentary. I completed the read of all the articles in several minutes and I avoided the usual repetitive messages that suck the life out of people as if they are a resource to be depleted like a vampire at the jugular does. Somedays I wish that I could move to Alaska even though I am from Canada. I watch a lot of YouTube camping, bush craft, snowmobiling, whitewater kayaking and trucking stuff that provides me with a wholesome source of energy and some of that comes from Alaska. It's a very nice place with a lot of tasty wild food resources that I would love to be able to participate in harvesting and enjoying. But that's a fantasy...LoL. :D Anyway carry on peeps and do try to keep the thread clear of stuff that the MODs will be frustrated about. :D

We had a lot of fun doing the Chilkoot Trail in Alaska now that you mention it. Beautiful natural landscape. :)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We had a lot of fun doing the Chilkoot Trail in Alaska now that you mention it. Beautiful natural landscape. :)
Yes, Alaska has so much to offer if a person is fit and able to access everything. The snowmobiling is some of the very best I have ever seen and I have snowmobiled extensively in British Columbia mountains but that is not even close to what Alaska has available if a person can trailer the sleds to the parking lot near the glaciers and peaks and climb right to the tip tops of peaks that are like knife edges. Another place that I find is very beautiful and has a amazing abundance of a huge variety of fish and wildlife for one to harvest and eat is Florida. I watch YouTubers from both Alaska and Florida doing their activities in each state and it's a great time all around every time watching that for me. I think I am going to save up for a budget ride new Kawasaki KLR650 and go for a ride and explore a bit because I want to get out like I used to and go places. I have been up and down the West Coast of the USA multiple times, up and down the Central USA States but not the East Coast of the USA and I have been across Canada all the way to Newfoundland so I think going up the North West of Canada and into Alaska in a summer would be a great gift to myself. I must make plans... :D

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quoted post that has now been deleted removed from here also.

Really - it is time for this thread to be stopped or for political posts to be moderated out.

PEOPLE - you signed up when you joined here for a no politics and a no religion policy. It doesn't matter what your politics are - please respect that. We are now going to get a perfectly reasonable - and valuable - thread closed - in which the OP clearly set the parameters for the discussion away from politics.

Good Job! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Digital_Thor

Really - it is time for this thread to be stopped or for political posts to be moderated out.

PEOPLE - you signed up when you joined here for a no politics and a no religion policy. It doesn't matter what your politics are - please respect that. We are now going to get a perfectly reasonable - and valuable - thread closed - in which the OP clearly set the parameters for the discussion away from politics.

Good Job! :facepalm:
And I will try no to do that again - sorry. Both posts are now deleted. My writings are just my opinions, and might not change anything anyway ;)

napfkuchen

Things are going quite downwards here in Germany, especially economically (with all the consequences of that). Obvious problems simply go unaddressed because politicians prefer to exchange ad hominem arguments instead of practical solutions. On the one hand, I am (fortunately) not/little affected by it myself and, on the other hand, I can do little or nothing about the situation. This thread reminds me that I urgently need a "digital detox" again. Starting next week I will try not to consume any news for two weeks.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I will try no to do that again - sorry. Both posts are now deleted. My writings are just my opinions, and might not change anything anyway ;)
Thanks - and though I quoted your post, mine was not directed only at you.

Perhaps some of the others would like to follow your example. :)

Last edited:

Digital_Thor

Thanks - and though I quoted your post, mine was not directed only at you.

Perhaps some of the others would like to follow your example. :)
Thank you for giving me a chance too :)

I am often so eager to do something and share something, that I'm balancing the act of not fully knowing whether I am just spilling my thoughts and ideas, or actually contributing with something valuable for someone else.

This is one of those experiences, that reminds me to read through my writings before posting. I will fail or do/write something again, that won't fit smoothly every time.
But if I can admit to keep learning for the rest of my life, maybe that can show others to keep things open too - within agreed limits - as just demonstrated.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for giving me a chance too
It wasn't up to me - I'm not a mod, just a "concerned citizen"

I am often so eager to do something and share something, that I'm balancing the act of not fully knowing whether I am just spilling my thoughts and ideas, or actually contributing with something valuable for someone else.
I've been in contravention (and had posts deleted) myself in the past. Probably will again when I next get carried away in a burst of enthusiasm. Don't sweat it, it's because we care - but this (contractually?) isn't the place.

:)

LeShog

I listen very carefully to my inner child and give hime what he needs, our mental health is like a garden that needs costant attentions. Being in costant feedback of that little voice inside you can be difficult for some (it has been difficult for me), but when you reach it you'll find yourself very much connected with your whole self and in a weird way also to everything around you. I am very sensitive so I need to take care of myself, I try to make the best choices for me, but after that I don't worry too much, I live in the present. And in the present I am always very busy doing a lot of beautiful stuff :)

Keeping informed is important, so I read the newspaper, but I found one in my country that is very balanced and gives you simply the news without being overly dramatic or aggressive. It just tells you what's happening. The majority of newspaper (in my coutry, Italy) tends to be aggressive and very much sided and they make me feeld bad, very electric when I read them. Sometimes I also shake. For nothing. I guess they do their job so poorly to sell more copies, I live in the country of drama *sigh* our journalists are probably some of the worst in the world. We are good in other things :)

Martial arts also helped me a lot, I don't believe in anything religious in particular, so my dojo for a period of time did become like a church to me. That depends if you follow the big philosophical way (buddhist) or if you follow the small way (agonism). I have been a Judoka for a while and the mental discipline involved to perfect a skill and the respect for the dojo and your opponent in a religious way gave me a sharp inner calmness, living fully in the present. Now I don't practice anymore, it's been 5 years now that I am studying classical guitar and unfortunately you have to make your nails grow for that. I am thinking in specializing in baroque music so I can cut my nails short (it's a softer music that doesn't require nails) and go back to the dojo, I miss it :)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Things are going quite downwards here in Germany, especially economically (with all the consequences of that). Obvious problems simply go unaddressed because politicians prefer to exchange ad hominem arguments instead of practical solutions. On the one hand, I am (fortunately) not/little affected by it myself and, on the other hand, I can do little or nothing about the situation. This thread reminds me that I urgently need a "digital detox" again. Starting next week I will try not to consume any news for two weeks.
I chatted 2 days ago with a chat friend of ~22 years in Germany about this stuff and as she said to me this issue is everywhere. It's not just you and me. She is close to her family, has many long term and local close friends and a wonderful cat to rely on and draw energy from and so she manages very well. :D

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for giving me a chance too :)

This is one of those experiences, that reminds me to read through my writings before posting. I will fail or do/write something again, that won't fit smoothly every time.
But if I can admit to keep learning for the rest of my life, maybe that can show others to keep things open too - within agreed limits - as just demonstrated.
I see that you care about this and that's very cool to me that you can communicate that in clear terms and commit to actual terms and thoughts. :D You are definitely not a psychopathic personality...LoL... Those sorts of people avoid yes/no answers and committing to terms of operation. I think we all learned something from this thread about the stuff that the original thread post was intended to be about before it became a bit derailed at times as well we gathered a few extra tidbits of information that managed to ride along in the thread. We can all benefit by reading our comments multiple times before posting and I am up to ~5+ or more times to check for grammatical errors and rambling sentences etc. I cut out a lot of stuff/text that you peeps never see because I know I like to go deeper than is actually required sometimes. I also think the MODs have been much more than fair if not exceedingly tolerant of this thread and if I may hazard a guess it's because it's a deep subject that needs to be recognized and explored more and people are actually getting sick from the stuff that this thread was intended to be about? So keep carrying on and keep steadily marching knowing that at some point in time you will arrive at your destination even if you had to cross some broken bridges and some other challenges. :D I will now go watch my favorite YouTube outdoor and adventure channel to get some escape/manage stress. This adventure guy is from Alaska, is always driving somewhere/anywhere in The USA and Canada, has many challenges along the way that he overcomes through sheer persistence and pain tolerance and he goes to the tip top peaks of huge Alaska mountains on either his very powerful snow machines, kayaks class 5 regularly, flies a cool fabric wing down mountainsides/glaciers, snowboards and skis and has some great parties with all the many different friends that he made along the way over the decades that he has been a adventurer and a down to Earth great guy. I would love it if peeps would experiment with and get relief from his videos and get to know him because it's wholesome and good stuff. >@^_*@< Cheers.
Truck House Life - This is the newest video of the now 569 videos that he made for people to view.
My second favorite adventure channel is Outdoor Boys which is really cool too. There are 418 videos in the collection at this time.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was fine until I started investing months and months into seeing what is happening and deciding what I am about and who is about me and my interests and needs where I live locally and nationally. I'm seeing things very clearly now about my decisions and what I am supporting and not supporting. Before I was heavily invested in ASR stuff and then I became diverted and went off on the news information tangent. So I guess all roads lead back to Rome in this case and I'm back! LoL. :D I will still need to deal with the shock and awe of the stuff that I read about and subsequently could not stop imaging about and thinking about. Hence the brain damage.
I noticed I wasn't seeing you post anymore and wondered if you were ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom