• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How best (which) to DSP for 2.1 setup with SMSL DAC/preamp into Audiophonics poweramp.

Svensson

Currently my SMSL SU-10 DAC is also the preamp for my Audiophonics HPA S400ET poweramp via balanced connection. Powered sub is KEF KC62, fed by unbalanced output from SMSL.
My room has a floor to ceiling glass wall & patio doors to entire left side. WAF precludes most acoustic treatment. Looking at DSP./ REW/Dirac Live. Have zero experience of these to date.

Any recommendations and experienced advice on options? Happy to spend up to £1000.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You could put a miniDSP Flex Digital between your source device and the SU-10, or replace the SU-10 entirely with a Flex. It's got a fantastic built-in DAC.
The Flex comes in five different versions (Flex/Flex Bal/Flex Digital/Flex 8/Flex HT), so there should be one that meets your needs.

Then add a miniDSP UMIK-1 to measure your room (use Moving Microphone Method, not sweeps), and you have a great setup.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Go unbalanced with MiniDSP Flex (as DAC and preamp - nothing else) and get a measuring microphone like UMIK-1 if you already don't have one with correction file compatible to REW. You don't really need Dirac Live (but it's option). Set REW with external dB meter (or internal one with which you want to match it in PC use case with other reproduction software like JRiver for example).
Use multiple sweeps disregarding of method (sometimes it deliberately disregards smaller peaks in first one).

OP
S

Svensson

@staticV3 and @ZolaIII thank you for the pointer. It seems a simpler path with the Flex. If I can sell the SMSL without too much loss it could he way to go for me. I've been unable to find a DSP option that does what the Flex does without having to sell the SMSL.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you can use a PC as a source, Foobar2000 with MathAudio's RoomEQ is free and super simple... Just need a UMIK-1.

OP
S

Svensson

That'd be the Flex Digital. Or a Raspi running CamillaDSP (Guide)
@staticV3 as a simple option, the Flex Digital looks very promising. Getting hold of RPi in UK is a bit delayed.

My chain would look like:
RPi4 running PiCoreplayer --> Flex Digital --> SMSL DAC --> Poweramp --> 2x Speakers

Would the 1x sub recieve it's signal via the Flex digital or via the DAC?
Wondering about volume control.

The end appears to be in sight

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
@staticV3 as a simple option, the Flex Digital looks very promising. Getting hold of RPi in UK is a bit delayed.

My chain would look like:
RPi4 running PiCoreplayer --> Flex Digital --> SMSL DAC --> Poweramp --> 2x Speakers

Would the 1x sub recieve it's signal via the Flex digital or via the DAC?
Wondering about volume control.

The end appears to be in sight
Or sell the SMSL and get the Flex with analogue outputs for the same price as the digital IO version.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The KEF KC-62 has the provision to high pass filter the signals to the main speakers for proper bass management. OP can run room EQ DSP on the RPi4 (see the CamillaDSP tutorial thread). To try out room EQ, all OP needs is the minimal investment of a UMIK-1 (or equivalent). OP can then decide if further investment in hardware is needed.
Signal chain: RPi4 --> DAC --> KC-62 --> Power Amp --> Main speakers

kc62-1.png

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The KEF KC-62 has the provision to high pass filter the signals to the main speakers for proper bass management. OP can run room EQ DSP on the RPi4 (see the CamillaDSP tutorial thread). To try out room EQ, all OP needs is the minimal investment of a UMIK-1 (or equivalent). OP can then decide if further investment in hardware is needed.
Signal chain: RPi4 --> DAC --> KC-62 --> Power Amp --> Main speakers

View attachment 281033
Nice implementation of HPF too. HPF switching:
06.jpg

So he can use what he already have with pointed unbalanced path. All he needs (other than measuring mic) is Pi software that supports PEQ (and he will need to enter them manually probably).

Top Bottom