• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harman acquires Roon

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Duplicate threads merged here. Thank you for helping us keep the office organized Sir.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Has there been an email from Roon to their subscribers yet? The most recent emails I received from Roon were about 3 months for $3…
I took the three months for $3 offer, and two days later...

The likely route is that it is on its way back to running on special hardware as I understood Sooloos did. Why would a big audio company want something that runs on generic computers?

The other point not made yet is that an audio company with apparently no licensing experience is acquiring this. That will make all those other companies with Roon Ready reevaluate that option, given that Roon has sometimes required pretty big changes to products to get there, and can lock a product out at any time, as already demonstrated.

This could also be the start of a trend. HEOS does not have a good reputation - will Masimo be tempted to pursue Audirvana or even Volumio to compete? Or even one of the lossless streaming services?

I find myself looking at this as another move like the BMI sale that could fragment audio streaming and provision. Maybe the Lenbrook acquisition of MQA falls into this picture as well.

We could wake up one day soon and find ourselves having to run multiple devices to get multiple streaming services for different catalogues, going from a much better situation than video streaming to an even worse one.

Anyway, I'm a cynic and overthinking this, but we should at least keep our eyes open.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I just had two emails from Roon, asking me to take up the offer I already did. Maybe the takeover will lead to better communication with customers, if not on day one?

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Question: I use roon to access my headless mac mini music server with Tidal through ipads and iphones. Is there anything besides roon for that? Jriver only accesses my stored music, but most of my music now is tidal.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Question: I use roon to access my headless mac mini music server with Tidal through ipads and iphones. Is there anything besides roon for that? Jriver only accesses my stored music, but most of my music now is tidal.
WiiM Pro.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Lot of glad handing and overbaked optimism in the comments for this posting. I suspect that not much will change right away, but eventually a lot will change, and based on my experiences with acquisitions like this, probably not for the good.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plex

BillG

Major Contributor

Logitech Media Server. Its current DSP plug-ins aren't as sophisticated as Roon's DSP engine, but they're sufficient for the vast majority of end users.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Question: I use roon to access my headless mac mini music server with Tidal through ipads and iphones. Is there anything besides roon for that?

Audirvana.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't think there is much to worry about... Harman will use Roon to compete with Sonos in the multi-room streaming arena.

JSmith

Galliardist

Major Contributor
In terms of applications - Audirvana. It doesn't have the DSP capabilities of Roon, you'd need plugins, and the interface isn't as detailed. I trialled Audirvana once and it had issues with DLNA connection to my old Oppo used as a DAC, that is apparently solved now.

I wouldn't quit Roon just yet though.

beeface

TBH over the last six years, Samsung hasn't been as brutal about gutting Harman as I expected them to be. Revel's home speakers for example probably make up a fraction of one percent of Samsung's overall revenue.

My immediate thought is that Harman is just buying Roon for their tech so they can start making JBL soundbars and speakers to compete with Sonos. It will be interesting to see where that leaves legacy users, though.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I don't think there is much to worry about... Harman will use Roon to compete with Sonos in the multi-room streaming arena.

JSmith
Harman will use Roon technology to compete. Do you think they really want to take on supporting a multifaceted piece of multiplatform software that currently only has a "community" support model?

Some changes, at least, are coming. Maybe the best we can hope for is a cheaper, improved Nucleus.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
“Our team is ecstatic to join HARMAN, a visionary company that has been leading the audio industry forward for decades,” said Enno Vandermeer, CEO of Roon. **Bullshit meter goes thru the roof** I suspect that the only thing this guy is estatic about is the multimilliion buyout package he's getting.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We could wake up one day soon and find ourselves having to run multiple devices to get multiple streaming services for different catalogues, going from a much better situation than video streaming to an even worse one.
Like watching "television"!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“Our team is ecstatic to join HARMAN, a visionary company that has been leading the audio industry forward for decades,” said Enno Vandermeer, CEO of Roon. **Bullshit meter goes thru the roof** I suspect that the only thing this guy is estatic about is the multimilliion buyout package he's getting.
Probably not total BS. At least to the extent that "ecstatic" can be an appropriate word for how you feel about a business acquisition. Nobody forced them to sell, plus Harman actually has advanced the industry quite a bit.

I think we are all concerned about mismanagement by Samsung, but I don't see that they've interfered too much with Harman so far, disrupting a sub-subsidiary would probably not be worth the bother.

Open Mind Audio

At least the Verge guy reporting on this (Nilay Patel) has a sense of humor: "People who can afford to pay for a high-end music service that works with their high-end music gear love change so we’ll see how this goes!"

Top Bottom