• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harman acquires Roon

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
You can use a raspberry pi as a room end point, or similar devices, it will output via USB to any DAC. If you want one box add a decent DAC to the pi.
run roon on any basic pc or nas, store your files on a hard drive or nas or file server and use raspberry pi's as endpoints. the only thing you actually have to buy from roon is the software.

I want something that is not a pi. Just a plug-and-play device. I bet the majority of consumers don't even know what raspberry pi is.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I send BBC ‘sounds’ to my streamer appears to work flawlessly, I am a big fan of Roon, ymz multi-room and really sophisticated EQ is extremely useful, and it has been by far the most solid playback software.
LMS was that something to do with Slim Devices?
Keith
Do you have access to BBC Sounds including live rewind, listen-again and podcasts through Roon, or only live radio?

S

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want something that is not a pi. Just a plug-and-play device. I bet the majority of consumers don't even know what raspberry pi is.
You said you wanted something without roon built in. There are plenty of ready made cheap ends points for roon, it's in roon's interest for them to exist.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
You said you wanted something without roon built in. There are plenty of ready made cheap ends points for roon, it's in roon's interest for them to exist.
I want something with Roon (or BluOS) built in, but I don't want to have it packaged with a DAC or Integrated component. That's the problem.

Maybe it's the only way for the companies licensing Roon certification to make it worth their while.

What if Roon made their own streaming-only endpoint that then connected to your own components. They could sell it for $100 and sell the software subscription. Is there anything you can buy like that right now, besides Raspberry Pi?

The benefits would be:
- not having to replace an existing DAC or Integrated
- or being able to choose the DAC you like

My assumption is now that they are part of Harman, the hardware component design capability is there. But instead, they went for the $3,600 Nucleus.

Zgrado1970

I want something with Roon (or BluOS) built in, but I don't want to have it packaged with a DAC or Integrated component. That's the problem.

Maybe it's the only way for the companies licensing Roon certification to make it worth their while.

What if Roon made their own streaming-only endpoint that then connected to your own components. They could sell it for $100 and sell the software subscription. Is there anything you can buy like that right now, besides Raspberry Pi?

The benefits would be:
- not having to replace an existing DAC or Integrated
- or being able to choose the DAC you like

My assumption is now that they are part of Harman, the hardware component design capability is there. But instead, they went for the $3,600 Nucleus.

Any iOS device can be a Roon endpoint.

jhenderson0107

Not a problem. A suitably-programmed raspberry pi can act as Roon, Logitech music server, Spotify, DLNA and Airplay endpoints (one at-a-time), costs < $100 and can feed most USB downstream devices (such as DACs, etc). I use many this way on my home network.

brucedgoose

I want something with Roon (or BluOS) built in, but I don't want to have it packaged with a DAC or Integrated component…now that they are part of Harman, the hardware component design capability is there. But instead, they went for the $3,600 Nucleus.
The Nucleus is undoubtedly a purely Roon product. The acquisition only just took place. I suspect It’ll be a year or so before you can expect to see Roon (or whatever Harman decides to call it) integrated into new hardware.

For those with subscriptions, I think the name Roon (and the stand-alone business entity) will disappear in favor of something more functionally descriptive since it will be simply one hardware feature. This also has the advantage (from Harman’s POV), that those pesky little subscriptions go away. Sorry!

brucedgoose

If we are now to speculate, it might be that they withdraw subscription access to the software completely and only offer it on gadgets that they themselves manufacture and sell. The lifetime customers, who bought a lifetime license, get to keep their software, but ROON stops developing it for this customer…
Exactly!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
huh? if it's tagged then it's identified, that makes no sense.
not an issue I've run into in years of using roon with lots of files that are not in roon's database and are only IDed from tags . . . shoot I have a bunch of unreleased things in my library, only possible way is with tags there.
I just followed a link from the previously posted link, taking me to https://community.roonlabs.com/t/do-regular-daily-restarts-of-roon-have-a-negative-impact/260629/10 from a Roon rep, and read follow-ups from people experiencing problems. I'm going by what was reported there - maybe they're wrong, or there are other factors involved.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Yes. But you need the signal receiver and software in the Roon endpoint device.
I thought they had added full support for squeezebox endpoints? That would include anything that can run squeezelite, like a Pi Zero W with piCorePlayer.

CapMan

Major Contributor
The company have already stated their subscription program is not changing, specifically for lifetime subscribers.

That said, anything CAN change over time.
I remember the user backlash when Sonos said they would withdraw support for their first generation players and that their new app would only work with second generation speakers. They ended up doing a massive U turn and creating the S1 app.

A little different I know in terms of scale, user volumes and the amount of money people invested in Sonos speakers vs Roon. But I hope there is a lesson there Harman!

CapMan

Major Contributor
Not a problem. A suitably-programmed raspberry pi can act as Roon, Logitech music server, Spotify, DLNA and Airplay endpoints (one at-a-time), costs < $100 and can feed most USB downstream devices (such as DACs, etc). I use many this way on my home network.
I use a couple of RPi / RoPieee based devices - one is a Roon end point with digital output into my AVR, the other has its own little amp board / DAC (HiFi Berry) to run our outdoor speakers.

Work great and cost hardly anything

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
not aware of anything LMS can do that roon can't at this point actually- agreed on LMS requiring more effort.
It may have changed since I looked at things important to a relative pre-covid. Back then Roon had fewer source options (BBC handling being the important one for them), couldn't stream to UPnP endpoints, and didn't handle aspects of classical and jazz metadata as well as some wanted. The open source aspect means people have written a host of plugins for niche purposes, and included integrations in other things. Generally speaking, if you want to bend LMS to your way of working you probably can, given the skills. With Roon you got what you were given.

AdrianusG

i wouldn't mind the looks if i didn't have random crashes on multiple versions and multiple rigs (all demo's, a paid version plus a few cracked ones)...they're not getting my money any time soon
Okay,

That is strange, i'm using JRiver version 31 currently , basically since it came out, (and before that 27) but didn't have a single crash (so far).

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It may have changed since I looked at things important to a relative pre-covid. Back then Roon had fewer source options (BBC handling being the important one for them), couldn't stream to UPnP endpoints, and didn't handle aspects of classical and jazz metadata as well as some wanted. The open source aspect means people have written a host of plugins for niche purposes, and included integrations in other things. Generally speaking, if you want to bend LMS to your way of working you probably can, given the skills. With Roon you got what you were given.
I use Minimserver which I believe is very good for indexing classical music...Free too.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes. But you need the signal receiver and software in the Roon endpoint device.
Depends. If you use a physical connection, anything with a digital input (S/PDIF, USB) willl work.
Also, as Zgrado1970 said: Any iOS device can be a Roon endpoint.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
Depends. If you use a physical connection, anything with a digital input (S/PDIF, USB) willl work.
Also, as Zgrado1970 said: Any iOS device can be a Roon endpoint.

I meant to specify a wireless connection. I was not clear about that.

I feel like I have made a number of ranting posts which may have taken this thread off track. I apologize for that.

What I will summarize with is that I wish there were a major streaming software - be it Roon, BluOs, or any competitors - that came in a pure streaming device. All the current consumer devices are built into DACs or integrated components. Go look at any NAD, BluSound, or Sonos device - they are all over $500, because they make you purchase another full device. (Not to mention whether those devices are themselves desirable as DACs.)

There should be a simple box that handles Roon, communicates wirelessly with your UI (phone, desktop computer), and distributes the content to the DAC of your choice. It should cost $100 - $200. You should not have to tinker with a Pi or set up a laptop next to your DAC. There should be no signal processing. I think Harman could make a killing with that, because they could then sell the Roon software to everyone who buys the device.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant to specify a wireless connection. I was not clear about that.

I feel like I have made a number of ranting posts which may have taken this thread off track. I apologize for that.

What I will summarize with is that I wish there were a major streaming software - be it Roon, BluOs, or any competitors - that came in a pure streaming device. All the current consumer devices are built into DACs or integrated components. Go look at any NAD, BluSound, or Sonos device - they are all over $500, because they make you purchase another full device. (Not to mention whether those devices are themselves desirable as DACs.)

There should be a simple box that handles Roon, communicates wirelessly with your UI (phone, desktop computer), and distributes the content to the DAC of your choice. It should cost $100 - $200. You should not have to tinker with a Pi or set up a laptop next to your DAC. There should be no signal processing. I think Harman could make a killing with that, because they could then sell the Roon software to everyone who buys the device.
It exists Roon ready and has a good measuring DAC $150 but you can waste money on different DAC

Top Bottom