• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A26 DAC & Streamer Review

Rate this DAC and Streamer

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 40.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 127 54.3%

• Total voters

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Yes I own the A26. As a Roon End point it does a great job. I like Roon for its DSP functions if needed and connection to my 2 music services I primarily use. (Qobuz and Tidal). I also own the Node 2i and was connected to my DAC but I moved the Node2i to another system. So using the A26 as another way to access music is beneficial to me. Anyway…. happy listening.

You wouldn't know how fast the Lan connection of the A26 is? In another forum someone mentioned (well the creator of HQPLAYER) that a 1Gb connection would be better and someone else calculated that 100mbit wouldn't be enough for DSD512 through HQPlayer.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
DSD512 is about 43 Mbps without overhead. That should still be okay on 100 Mbps LAN.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
DSD512 is about 43 Mbps without overhead. That should still be okay on 100 Mbps LAN.
So this is not the case:?

It’s about bandwidth. Old 100Mbps FE uses 25MHz x 4 pairs of twisted copper if I don’t remember wrong.

25MHz can only carry stereo DSD256 signal. This is the calculation:

44100 x 256fs x 2ch = 22.5792MHz just barely less than FE’s bandwidth.

If >= DSD512 you definitely need GbE which has higher bandwidth (CAT6 has 250MHz over each pair of twisted copper).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So this is not the case:?
It’s 100 Mbps, you need 43, so it fits: case closed. The only thing needed it for the device to actually support it. According to the specs it does…

Zaurux

No problem, i use the A26 with DSD256.
For DSD512, the problem is my server.. too light to upscale.

RDSChicago

Who is authorized dealer for Gustard in the USA? I checked Apos and they don’t have this model. Wanted to make sure I buy from a dealer in the USA who will honor the warranty. Thanks.

RDSChicago

Who is authorized dealer for Gustard in the USA? I checked Apos and they don’t have this model. Wanted to make sure I buy from a dealer in the USA who will honor the warranty. Thanks.
Anyone? Also how is the A26 preamp section? Does the R26 also have a streamer/renderer?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who
The overall design is professional looking and fits better in a home stereo rack than many desktop products do.

FYI, for those who just want a DAC, rumor has it that there is a X26Pro replacement in a similar case work, to be released end of the year. My expectation would be dual ESS chips. I personally don't like having a streamer because don't want to depend on the manufacturer on the streaming firmware and the firmware support lifecycle sometimes are short (for those who don't upgrade gear often).

terlino

Good morning
I made a very serious mistake.
I installed the R version firmware on the Gustard A26 version.
I tried to reinstall the right version by doing the upgrade procedure but the DAC is no longer detected by Windows.
Of course the ethernet connection doesn't work and I don't know if connected via USB it will work. I'm afraid not.
Can I do something to fix it? Other than cursing me?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
A belated response to the middle question copied from a discussion elsewhere:
After a a few A-B back-and-forth trials feeding my CJ 350 power amp with and without a separate preamp over the weekend. I preferred it with the preamp.
I'm cannot be sure if it is what the 3-box Naim NAC282 preamp brings to the party, or if it is what the Gustard A26 looses when turning off DSD Direct, but to my ears it was no contest between these two with my digital source. Edit: It is probably the DAC that looses its mojo when using direct. I just tried turning off DSD Direct on the DAC when playing through the Naim preamp (i.e. enabling the DAC's volume control). It's not as good.
The sound seems faster, more open/breaths more with the premp in the mix. Conversely, slower and more shut-in using the DAC's built in pre/volume control... (to my ears). I would have been happy if the sound was better without the pre (more money in the bank, one less rack, etc.), but for now the pre stays (at least until another pre comes my way).

Well, one of the wow things: either the 282 MUST sound better because it is expensive, or it performs some impedance matching so that the output stage of the DAC works better.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Or it's just the result of listening without proper, accurate, level matching ?
And not blind ?

Also. This is all included in the "since the 282 is very expensive it MUST sound better".

netfoo

Added U18 and Gustarender USB 2.0 Devices Disappeared?

Hello. New here, so not sure if I am in the right place.

On Monday (4 days ago) I added a brand new Gustard R26 to my system. Exceptionally happy so far, but giving it some burn in time before becoming
too judge mental. I have been running it in LAN mode; and streaming Tidal and networked music through Roon to my speakers with no problem. It worked in USB mode as well.

So my SP 4 days ago was: EverSolo DMP A6 ME>Gustard R26>B&W Formation Duos.

Today I added the Gustard U18 (DDC). It's pushing (isolating) USB inputs to I2S into my DAC. I have the DAC set to IIS. Everything (haven't tested network shares yet) is working fine. Sounds OUTSTANDING. When I now go into Roon settings; under Audio; the Gustarender USB 2.0 device is missing now? When I look at the Roon SP; there is no sign of the Gustard R26. To prove that I was still using the R26 DAC (as the EverSolo has a DAC too); I pulled the network cable on the R26. Everything stayed connected and streaming just fine. I am just slight puzzled why I can't see the Gustard in Roon, as I did before I added the Gustard U18 DDC. More troubleshooting to understand. It's awesome that it's working profoundly! I really wish I had creds to the R26, but they're not supplied. I might have to run some BF PW attacks on it.

Current SP: EverSolo DMP A6 ME> Gustard U18>Gustard R26> Formation Duos. If anyone has a similar setup and can enlighten me; that would be very much appreciated.

Ciao
netfoo

Greenman

Well this is the A26 thread not the R26 thread, but in this case both should work in a similar way, however for a query like this you would be better off on the head-fi.org forum, they have a very active R26 thread with plenty of people using the U18 and Roon.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well this is the A26 thread not the R26 thread, but in this case both should work in a similar way, however for a query like this you would be better off on the head-fi.org forum, they have a very active R26 thread with plenty of people using the U18 and Roon.
Not to mention, they believe in burn in and will feed you what you want to hear on that topic.

Greenman

The A26 but how much RAM does it have?
Well this applies to the r26 but I assume a26 is the same as it appears to have the same streamer implementation etc. this info from the headfi board so I can’t guarantee accuracy…

the R26 streamer is not a supercomputer as it only has 128MB of RAM.
Despite the manufacturer's savings, it can play over LAN 24/192 without interruption and then consumes only 30MB RAM, CPU about 10%.”

Trhu1_1

Don't buy this at its $1500 msrp. I was able to get one for $950 on Amazon seller "HifiCollage" , product was used-like new condition. I think it is a good product at this price.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't buy this at its $1500 msrp. I was able to get one for $950 on Amazon seller "HifiCollage" , product was used-like new condition. I think it is a good product at this price.
So there will be always “used” ones on stock on Amazon ?!!

Top Bottom