• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Get Back

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If George's bald guru krishna buds can hang around I see no reason Ono shouldn't :D

I agree Hogg comes off bad. Guy seems totally lame. Frankly, I like all four of the lads fine...they all seem like pretty good-natured blokes. Lennon is funnier than I might have expected. Paul is an amazing singer...comes across very clearly throughout. 2 eps to go...I enjoyed the first although it kinda rambles around a lot but I'm a sucker for studio/rehearsal stuff. I could watch bands rehearse all day! lol...
Ha, difference is the rest make their opinion of the krishna dude their quite clear and you don't see him again after day 1. Yoko is still making like a knitting mushroom into the second week.

I actually liked the 4 guys, most of the crew etc. Wait until Billy Preston rocks up. Great stuff.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I thought one of the krishna guys was there the first day and then on a later day there was 2 of them... could be wrong though. lol. They were NOT major contributors!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought one of the krishna guys was there the first day and then on a later day there was 2 of them... could be wrong though. lol. They were NOT major contributors!
Entirely possible! They sent the flowers each day.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
If George's bald guru krishna buds can hang around I see no reason Ono shouldn't :D

I agree Hogg comes off bad. Guy seems totally lame. Frankly, I like all four of the lads fine...they all seem like pretty good-natured blokes. Lennon is funnier than I might have expected. Paul is an amazing singer...comes across very clearly throughout. 2 eps to go...I enjoyed the first although it kinda rambles around a lot but I'm a sucker for studio/rehearsal stuff. I could watch bands rehearse all day! lol...
Exactly!
It gives the impression one has when rehearsing for hours on end. Some love it, others are driven from the room.
My wife did her best to be understanding, but she was relieved when it all was over.
She was in another room, either watching something else or online, but she couldn't really get the sound of "I've Got a Feeling" out of her head. Turned into a running joke.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yes, they were there, and by the time a few days rolled along, they weren't. On the other hand, all 4 significant others and one of their children find their way into Apple Headquarters eventually. Little Heather wins the day for me.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor

His role was performed by Victor Spinelli in "A Hard Day's Night", and ol' Vic was a whole lot funnier. As the plots of the two movies are so similar, I recommend going to the Criterion Channel and checking out their splendid refurbishment of that classic comedy. In that particular cultural moment, the Beatles were regarded as the true heirs of the Marx Brothers. "Help" blew up that notion, but Victor Spinelli, again, was great: "I could rule the world, if only I could get a government grant!"

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I finally got around to watching the first episode of this series last night. I’m a huge Beatles fan and own their catalog in several different formats. I turned it off about an hour in. It is so boring it was putting me to sleep. I really wanted to like it but found nothing interesting about it. It looked like Yoko was about as interested in what was happening as I was in the documentary. It’s a snoozefest.

Martin

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I finally got around to watching the first episode of this series last night. I’m a huge Beatles fan and own their catalog in several different formats. I turned it off about an hour in. It is so boring it was putting me to sleep. I really wanted to like it but found nothing interesting about it. It looked like Yoko was about as interested in what was happening as I was in the documentary. It’s a snoozefest.

Martin
Whereas I'm not a huge fan and found it fascinating and liked them more. Go figure!

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
My reaction is a combo of Martin's and Jimbo's---I was fascinated and also found it boring. I was playing it in a room in the middle of the house. My wife could not escape the sound and found it maddening. On the other hand, I've got a friend who's in a Beatles cover band, he watched the entire series three times. I am a bit of a Beatles obsessive and many of the low-level details grabbed my attention, but it's safe to say "Get Back" isn't for anybody.

On the other hand, anybody who loves the Fab Four needs to know about the Prefab Four:

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Those of you who had the patience to sit through "Get Back" will find this long article from Sound and Vision very informative:

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Finished the last one last night.
No spoilers. How could eight hours of telly be so dull, AND compelling at the same time. I do at this moment admit to Beatle deprivation!
For these forums, didn't the gear look ancient?
What might those industrial looking monitors be? Maybe there was only Tannoy in those days.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
No spoilers. How could eight hours of telly be so dull, AND compelling at the same time. I do at this moment admit to Beatle deprivation!
What might those industrial looking monitors be? Maybe there was only Tannoy in those days.
They were Altec somethings - two pairs because the "8 track" was two linked 4-tracks that had to be monitored separately.
All the specifics concerning gear are in the [really good] Sound and Vision article at post #50: " . . . two pairs of Altec 604E monitor speakers . . ."

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well spotted Inner!
Every time I leapt up to approach our screen in order to discern a possible manufacturer, the action moved on!
(I could have paused, I guess.)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Altec Duplexes. 604E according to the S&V article; but the Abbey Road monitors in the control room were 605 (presumably 605A).
The Fab Four sound very, very good on Duplexes. :)

My Frankenaltecs started life loaded with a pair of 604E Duplexes -- and Doug Sax's MasteringLabs XOs. I only reconfigured the drivers due to the limited dispersion of the 604E's treble horn, which makes for a small "sweet spot". But, oh, what a sweet sweet spot. ;)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Altec Duplexes. 604E according to the S&V article; but the Abbey Road monitors in the control room were 605 (presumably 605A).
The Fab Four sound very, very good on Duplexes. :)

My Frankenaltecs started life loaded with a pair of 604E Duplexes -- and Doug Sax's MasteringLabs XOs. I only reconfigured the drivers due to the limited dispersion of the 604E's treble horn, which makes for a small "sweet spot". But, oh, what a sweet sweet spot. ;)

A pair of Great Plains 604e's is definitely on my list of cool speakers I would buy if I had a lot of money and a lot of space and a lot of time. Very cool.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
So far only seen the trailer - hoping to watch it with the kids in a couple of weeks.

For me though - the band members are about the same age (when that was filmed) as my kids are now. The processing makes it look like it was shot yesterday - and we get to see them as real people struggling with the process of doing their jobs, so full of life. I find it sort of heartbreaking.
This is the first decent comment on what was an amazing film on so many levels.

Still young guys, amazing talents having already done more than most do in 5 lifetimes. But they are still struggling felling they are not good enough, fearful of how they could do a live concert. Very real very honest running the gamut of emotions. There was a reason they did not want anybody to see this.

Peter Jackson did an amazing job editing and digitally enhancing raw 16 mm footage to turn it into a coherent meaningful story.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Whereas I'm not a huge fan and found it fascinating and liked them more. Go figure!
I agree it was fascinating and I am surprised that a real music fan could actually think that it was boring. One of the best pieces of film I’ve ever seen. The historical significance and the ability to see people being real in there environment is something we don’t often have a chance to see.

Top Bottom