• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Get Back

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Michael Lindsay-Hogg looks a bit and sounds a bit like Orson Welles He also appears clueless.
Clueless really? He was only 29 at the time the Beatles were several years younger, still all young very young man. People should think back what they were doing in their 20s? I think what he did was amazing it was a brilliant job just to cover so many different angles and get so much information on raw film. All the crazy brainstorming was just what it was trying to figure out something, trying to solve the unsolvable. They really were so fearful of doing a live concert ended up doing a concert on the roof for basically nobody. People could not watch them. They heard them from the street , but even preforming on the roof almost did not happen.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I’m surprise nobody has mentioned Glyn Johns yet. This was far from his best work. Even the album release was a mess. Phil Spector did a terrible job, and many people thought this was the Beatles worst album. Which although is still better than most peoples best albums! To really hear this album properly one should listen to the Naked version. I think it’s a great album personally and stripping away all the crap that Spector did really lets it shine.

Just another thought also. When are we lucky enough to see such brilliantly creative people creating? Just to watch them write a song come up with a lyric from nothing, “pomegranate” was amazing to me. What about the fact that anybody could just sit down at the piano?

Think about how much music they generated over such a short time. Other than Bob Marley, IMO there are not many others.

Last edited:
OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Clueless really? He was only 29 at the time the Beatles were several years younger, still all young very young man. People should think back what they were doing in their 20s? I think what he did was amazing it was a brilliant job just to cover so many different angles and get so much information on raw film. All the crazy brainstorming was just what it was trying to figure out something, trying to solve the unsolvable. They really were so fearful of doing a live concert ended up doing a concert on the roof for basically nobody. People could not watch them. They heard them from the street , but even preforming on the roof almost did not happen.
Obviously, you're the target audience, and there's no snark at all in me saying that. I know a number of people who are really excited by this project and a number who have been driven crazy by it. I am a fan of what went into this.

That said, I am an Orson Welles obsessive, so I recognize a bit of what is going on between the Fabs and [maybe?] Orson's son.

The Beatles did not agree to any of Michael Lindsay-Hogg ideas for staging "Get Back", the live concert for TV, which never did happen, did it? It's a fluke that John said "f--- it, let's do it" for the Rooftop performance, it was up in the air until that moment. Paul was interested in getting something happening, having a Beatles project to throw into the world---in that moment he identified as a Beatle and was more invested in that "Brand" than any of the other three.

Still is, you know.

One can detect that in the group's interactions, how George is tired of being bossed, how John is lost in his world. Ringo's still committed to the brand.

Still is, you know.

In many ways, the group considered all those cameras and microphones an imposition on their creative process, and they further tied their hands creatively by deciding they were not to have any overdubs with this project. So, Lindsay-Hogg had his dreams of cinematic grandeur and the Band mostly wanted it to be over and get on with the songs that required overdubs, and the steady hand of George Martin.

That said, Peter Jackson did a remarkable job of cleaning up an awful mess and making something out of it. It is rare to have fly-on-the-wall documentation of any band at work, that much more amazing that it would be this group and that there would be so much useful and interesting stuff recorded in the process. The degree which I find Michael Lindsay-Hogg clueless can also be witnessed in the dreary, ugly-looking film he finally came up with.

It's a fluke that this process resulted in such a powerful document, but I guess Lindsay-Hogg should be given credit for documenting so much.

Last edited:
OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I’m surprise nobody has mentioned Glyn Johns yet. This was far from his best work. Even the album release was a mess. Phil Spector did a terrible job, and many people thought this was the Beatles worst album. Which although is still better than most peoples best albums! To really hear this album properly one should listen to the Naked version. I think it’s a great album personally and stripping away all the crap that Spector did really lets it shine.

Just another thought also. When are we lucky enough to see such brilliantly creative people creating? Just to watch them write a song come up with a lyric from nothing, “pomegranate” was amazing to me. What about the fact that anybody could just sit down at the piano?

Think about how much music they generated over such a short time. Other than Bob Marley, IMO there are not many others.
It was fly-on the wall stuff, and the choice of wonky vocal microphones [members of the band asked for u67s but got these strange AKG microphones because they wouldn't cover up as much of their faces for the cameras] didn't help. Again, it's amazing anything releasable came out considering the conditions in which the band was forced to create and perform.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Obviously, you're the target audience, and there's no snark at all in me saying that. I know a number of people who are really excited by this project and a number who have been driven crazy by it. I am a fan of what went into this.

That said, I am an Orson Welles obsessive, so I recognize a bit of what is going on between the Fabs and [maybe?] Orson's son.

The Beatles did not agree to any of Michael Lindsay-Hogg ideas for staging "Get Back", the live concert for TV, which never did happen, did it? It's a fluke that John said "f--- it, let's do it' for the Rooftop performance, it was up in the air until that moment. Paul was interested in getting something happening, having a Beatles project to throw into the world---in that moment he identified as a Beatle and was more invested in that "Brand" than any of the other three.

Still is, you know.

One can detect that in the group's interactions, how George is tired of being bossed, how John is lost in his world. Ringo's still committed to the brand.

Still is, you know.

In many ways, the group considered all those cameras and microphones an imposition on their creative process, and they further tied their hands creatively by deciding they were not to have any overdubs with this project. So, Lindsay-Hogg had his dreams of cinematic grandeur and the Band mostly wanted it to be over and get on with the songs that required overdubs, and the steady hand of George Martin.

That said, Peter Jackson did a remarkable job of cleaning up an awful mess and making something out of it. It is rare to have fly-on-the-wall documentation of any band at work, that much more amazing that it would be this group and that there would be so much useful and interesting stuff recorded in the process. The degree which I find Michael Lindsay-Hogg clueless can also be witnessed in the dreary, ugly-looking film he finally came up with.

It's a fluke that this process resulted in such a powerful document, but I guess Lindsay-Hogg should be given credit for documenting so much.
I agree with you really Hogg is definitely no Fellini! And they really did not want him there. But the fact that he hid microphones and they faked cameras recording made it all the more spontaneous. They were kind of lost at that time. Epstein really was steering the ship, they were young guys who need that guidance. On their own they were not the same, they were used to having somebody take care of everything for them. Talents are often not the best business people.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I agree with you really Hogg is definitely no Fellini! And they really did not want him there. But the fact that he hid microphones and they faked cameras recording made it all the more spontaneous. They were kind of lost at that time. Epstein really was steering the ship, they were young guys who need that guidance. On their own they were not the same, they were used to having somebody take care of everything for them. Talents are often not the best business people.
You don't say?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
It was fly-on the wall stuff, and the choice of wonky vocal microphones [members of the band asked for u67s but got these strange AKG microphones because they wouldn't cover up as much of their faces for the cameras] didn't help. Again, it's amazing anything releasable came out considering the conditions in which the band was forced to create and perform.
Good points also. There is so much going on and so many little things that as you watch this you can glean from it. As someone mentioned earlier what about when Billy Preston sat down with them. It really was a boost and amazing how he could just pick up what they were doing and add so much to the groove.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The Beatles did not agree to any of Michael Lindsay-Hogg ideas for staging "Get Back", the live concert for TV, which never did happen, did it? It's a fluke that John said "f--- it, let's do it" for the Rooftop performance, it was up in the air until that moment. Paul was interested in getting something happening, having a Beatles project to throw into the world---in that moment he identified as a Beatle and was more invested in that "Brand" than any of the other three.

Still is, you know.

Still is, you know.

This is such an excellent summation of what Get Back is. Spot on in every regard.

I've been watching it. Sort of like a train wreck you can't ignore and sort of boring too. It honestly looks like every group of musicians I've recorded when they start on a new project. A bit more at stake, and more tense than some, but not always.

I will say I've been hitting it 30 minutes at a time. I both feel like that is enough, and yet it seems like a short 30 minutes.

Peter Jackson was definitely the guy to do this, and I can hardly imagine honestly how he did it considering what he was working with. The volume of the material and the condition of it and who it is, how touchy some of the subjects etc.

I also think I have a better opinion of Yoko Ono from this as strange as that may seem. I once had a relationship with a girl something like that. I'm no John Lennon of course, but I just felt better, more at ease, and more empowered if she was there with me close by. And vice versa for things she was doing. It is a situation that looks childish or weird to other people, but it made sense to us. Others often didn't understand it, and seemed hostile to us being joined at the hip so to speak.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Well... maybe Mozart? ;)
J. S. Bach---about 45 years of production, over 1000 works, averages about 22 works a year, including a whole lotta big ones.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
J. S. Bach---about 45 years of production, over 1000 works, averages about 22 works a year, including a whole lotta big ones.
Wrote a service's worth of church music for most every Sunday. What was it Garrison Keillor said about Bach?
A [something], a genius, and a Lutheran.

Big J.S. Bach fan here -- love singin' his stuff. :)

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I also think I have a better opinion of Yoko Ono from this as strange as that may seem. I once had a relationship with a girl something like that. I'm no John Lennon of course, but I just felt better, more at ease, and more empowered if she was there with me close by. And vice versa for things she was doing. It is a situation that looks childish or weird to other people, but it made sense to us. Others often didn't understand it, and seemed hostile to us being joined at the hip so to speak.
My first long-term relationship was with a very funny, gifted gal of Japanese extraction---her parents emigrated from Japan, still had Japanese accents. She was artistic and a bit odd. My family referred to the two of us as "John and Yoko". We didn't know if we liked that.

Last edited:

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am thinking of becoming a subscriber for just a month to watch the film.very curious after reading this thread even more.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am thinking of becoming a subscriber for just a month to watch the film.very curious after reading this thread even more.
I think a lot of folks did that :)
We just freeloaded off of our son & daugher-in-law. Only problem was that we only got to see one "episode". Infinitely better than seeing zero, though. ;)

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ah, rebbi
So you think there have been a lot of “indecent“ remarks?

Top Bottom