• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 648 94.3%

• Total voters

dfuller

Major Contributor

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20240407_222548_Facebook.jpg

This post confused me

G|force

Forum Donor
8341A and 8351B share the same amplifier specs, so it makes sense to me that the factory would ship 8351's with rev. D boards that have 8341 printed on them since they are more recent.
Of course the 8361 has the same HF and MF amplification, but the LF amplifier has more than double the power. Very odd.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
8341A and 8351B share the same amplifier specs, so it makes sense to me that the factory would ship 8351's with rev. D boards that have 8341 printed on them since they are more recent.
Of course the 8361 has the same HF and MF amplification, but the LF amplifier has more than double the power. Very odd.
It's a bummer there's no photo of it anywhere

Sam Ash

7.17.8.4 Subwoofer Group ID

Subwoofer Group ID is a very powerful method of enabling the compensation of multiple
subwoofers sharing the same set of input channels of audio. The Subwoofer Group ID is assigned
by the user on the GLM Group Definition page pop-up for each subwoofer. Once this is done, run
GLM AutoCal and the Subwoofer Groups will take effect. The Subwoofer Group concept supports
up to six subwoofers working together on one audio channel set, and this makes daisy-chaining of
subwoofers to increase the low frequency output capacity easily and quickly.

This is interesting information, thank you for highlighting it.

Sam Ash

Is one able to control the individual levels and phase of each individual sub in a group within GLM and if not then can these be set manually on each individual sub?

Sieniek

There is the possibility of using third party subs but the fact that Genelec gear can be daisy chained and controlled from GLM is attractive.
How it can be done ? I have Rythmik subwoofers and Dirac live with bass management on windows. How to use them together with Genelecs 8361 properly ? Do I need any specific dac, etc ?

Sam Ash

How it can be done ? I have Rythmik subwoofers and Dirac live with bass management on windows. How to use them together with Genelecs 8361 properly ? Do I need any specific dac, etc ?
What I meant is that if one has Genelec speakers and Genelec subs, it is then recognised by GLM for central control and setup. I am assuming you have 2 subs, I think the best approach in your setup would be invest in a miniDSP 2x4HD, it will enable you to setup the crossovers and give you the benefit of EQ.

Ricku

Hi Everyone,

I've just ordered a pair of 8361a's in white to sit on my desk (yes, I know how crazy that sounds - but it's a short term location; next year they'll be moved in to a bigger room) and I've been told they'll arrive some time in July so I've got a little bit of time to think about how to best position them. As I'm moving out in a few months (it's a rental), I do not want to be drilling in to the wall to mount them above the monitors - although I would be open to doing this in the next space if necessary.

Sitting on the Iso-Pods the tweeter is about 20 cm below my ears. I think I've got two options:

1 - Tilt the speakers back and direct the tweeters at my ears.
2 - Try to raise the speakers to get them more aligned with my ears.

I contacted Genelec and they said that option 1 would be ok .

All things considered - what would you do and why?

(pic of my desk attached for reference)

Attachments

• g73oost21ki61.png
    g73oost21ki61.png
    2 MB · Views: 126

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try with the Iso-Pods and then a couple of books under them and see if you can hear a difference. With the coaxial design you probably wont, but as this is temporary anyways you can just keep the books there for a couple of months if needed.

CMB

Try with the Iso-Pods and then a couple of books under them and see if you can hear a difference. With the coaxial design you probably wont, but as this is temporary anyways you can just keep the books there for a couple of months if needed.
Given the size, the weight and the cost of these, I would rather not experiment with books. Would seem way to shaky for me. Better to have a very solid underground.

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I've just ordered a pair of 8361a's in white to sit on my desk (yes, I know how crazy that sounds - but it's a short term location; next year they'll be moved in to a bigger room) and I've been told they'll arrive some time in July so I've got a little bit of time to think about how to best position them. As I'm moving out in a few months (it's a rental), I do not want to be drilling in to the wall to mount them above the monitors - although I would be open to doing this in the next space if necessary.

Sitting on the Iso-Pods the tweeter is about 20 cm below my ears. I think I've got two options:

if you have the GLM I wouldn't tinker too much and just use 1, as the major difference is the desk bounce, where GLM could have that tackeled pretty well, and since it's coaxial, other reflection issues are easier to fix via some kind of EQ, it's not a pair of light weight like 8331A, and at reasonable distance you should still be within the focus center of the controlled directivity anyway

Zaireeka

I would use serious stands to properly set them up behind the desk. Putting my 8351s on a desk would already be out of question for me, because how heavy and massive they are...

Last edited:
Reactions: CMB

KaLam1ty

The 8361a's are huge and unwieldy for typical studio monitor. And very very heavy. They are a two person lift.

You may want to check on desk real-estate; but I would be extremely weary to even put them (let alone one) on a typical work desk without triple checking weight, size capacity, and a solid foundation.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
30kg a two person lift? Aren't we getting s bit carried away. And just checked how much my standard work desk can take, it's 120kg.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
30kg a two person lift? Aren't we getting s bit carried away. And just checked how much my standard work desk can take, it's 120kg.

It's 32kg, and there are many of us here who can lift that, but not without a trip to the chiropractor afterwards. :)

Also, in all seriousness, I believe @amirm noted in his review that it's not just the weight - it's that they're a bit awkward to try to lift and carry because of the combination of size, weight, and shape.

nagster

Hi Everyone,

I sometimes use the 8260A (almost the same size), so I think I know the size, but it seems difficult to put it on a desk without removing the displays on both sides.
If your ears do not move back and forth, I think both 1 and 2 are fine. If the acoustic axis is horizontal at ear height, I think some back and forth is acceptable. (I would choose 2 as much as possible, even if it is just a temporary placement.)
If you are not worried about it falling over, you can use books or something instead. After all, it does not require any additional costs.
Even if you are making a speaker stand yourself, I think you can find the right height by adding or removing books in advance. If you can actually try it out instead of just calculating, it is better to do so.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looking at your pic, the 8361 tweeter will already be higher than the Ls50 tweeter just sitting the isopods on the desktop. Top of the 8361’s will be even with the top of your screens.

KaLam1ty

Well, they're a round and slippery object larger than your torso and without a good area to grip. There is a strap handle, but it's very unwieldy. Probably the most annoying thing I've had to lug down a flight of stairs, since I really did not want to damage the drivers.

And loading a desk of half its capacity just for some speakers still seems quite excessive to me. I'd be nervous with leaning on it or bumping it.

Top Bottom