• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi ZA3 TPA3255 Mono/Stereo Switchable Amplifier, and vs Aiyima A07 Max

JimBean

id assume its same sxit as V3 in measurements. For me personally I only like it for its 12V input trigger. I dont see any other benefit to this ZA3 over V3.
I suppose he could run tests on the xlr inputs and compare to the rca. Or if he got two, he could compare performance as monoblocks vs single stereo amp. But yeah, it's pretty much the same spec-wise.

cyclo

id assume its same sxit as V3 in measurements. For me personally I only like it for its 12V input trigger. I dont see any other benefit to this ZA3 over V3.

I have a couple of Fosi V3s which I am very happy with in my setup and I doubt I would be getting one of these ZA3s anytime soon. However, the ideal Fosi Class D amp for me would be a V3 (V4?) with a trigger and an on/off toggle switch instead of an on/off switch integrated with the volume knob. Same size as the V3 with no additional balanced inputs nor bridge mode option... Just keep it simple like the v3.

G-Can

I have a couple of Fosi V3s which I am very happy with in my setup and I doubt I would be getting one of these ZA3s anytime soon. However, the ideal Fosi Class D amp for me would be a V3 (V4?) with a trigger and an on/off toggle switch instead of an on/off switch integrated with the volume knob. Same size as the V3 with no additional balanced inputs nor bridge mode option... Just keep it simple like the v3.
I agree on the on/off, currently it's stupid you loose volume level everytime.
So I just keep it on 24/7 :D

cyclo

I agree on the on/off, currently it's stupid you loose volume level everytime.
So I just keep it on 24/7 :D
I use my V3s as power amps hooked up to my Marantz Pre Pro... I calibrated the levels so everything is set with the V3s at max levels... Still it is a pain to switch them all on (3 x Fosi v3s) then turn the volume to max. A simple toggle switch like on the Aiyima A07 to switch these things on or off would have been a lot better.

G-Can

I use my V3s as power amps hooked up to my Marantz Pre Pro... I calibrated the levels so everything is set with the V3s at max levels... Still it is a pain to switch them all on (3 x Fosi v3s) then turn the volume to max. A simple toggle switch like on the Aiyima A07 to switch these things on or off would have been a lot better.
There is better solution to that, use a power bar with active plugs that come on only when specific plug draws power.

There's a name for that power bar, I just can't remember it now.

There are even smart bars you could set up with google/Alexa as well to come on when you make an activity

OldTimer

IMG_0930.jpeg

Like this power strip app?

OldTimer

Theres so many, yes, in that style
I have everything setup through google home and Logitech Harmony,
where I just say Hey google, let's watch a movie and it will turn on my projector, AVR, smart plug, switch inputs, etc.
but please watch out the security vulnerabilities. I connect them when I want to control/set up.

SanojS

Question:
I haven't seen anyone mention or test this, but I assume if you have one sub and you use them in mono mode, you need to run sub-out from each ZA3 unit to left/right RCA on subwoofer and let the subwoofer merge the channels.
Otherwise if you run only one sub-out, you only get low freq from one channel.

Has someone tested this?

grogi.giant

Security?

I was perplexed for a minute, but then realized that in different languages the same word (exp. Sicherheit in German, bezpieczeństwo in Polish, sicurezza in Italian etc.) has much broader meaning.

I think safety would fit better here. Turned on amplifier might post fire hazard.

grogi.giant

Question:
I haven't seen anyone mention or test this, but I assume if you have one sub and you use them in mono mode, you need to run sub-out from each ZA3 unit to left/right RCA on subwoofer and let the subwoofer merge the channels.
Otherwise if you run only one sub-out, you only get low freq from one channel.

Has someone tested this?

Yes. However even in stereo music, the low frequencies are almost always mixed together and fed to both channels.

G-Can

I was perplexed for a minute, but then realized that in different languages the same word (exp. Sicherheit in German, bezpieczeństwo in Polish, sicurezza in Italian etc.) has much broader meaning.

I think safety would fit better here. Turned on amplifier might post fire hazard.
I think he was refering go to internet security, of these smart bars and general devices accessing your wifi network, which have a proven record of sending data back to their servers, etc. especially cheap Chinese products that shouldn't be that cheap to start with but this is how they get to sell data

And for Safety, I agree, that why I already asked how are these power bars with complying to US/Cad standards

doug s.

I don’t like sub woofer. I never find any subs on a music concert.
If you like subs then it means you don’t like any song you hear.
wow... i bought my 1st pair of subs 30 years ago, when my main speakers - thiel 3.5's - were 2db down at 20hz. the improvement in the low end, and to the thiels as well, as they were actively crossed over at 80hz so they and the amp driving them didn't have to deal with low frequencies, was exceptional. i won't ever listen to my audio playback system without subwoofers. it's because i like every song i choose to listen to, and i want to hear it done right. and, it's also why many major speaker mfr's actually provide subwoofer towers as part of their speaker systems.

sorry, old timer, you've been missing out all these years. ;)

my present set-up, actively quad-amped. it's flat from 20hz-20khz, just from manipulating the volume controls on the active 24db/octave x-overs; no dsp. yes, it's true, if there's no low frequency content in a recording, your subs won't be doing anything. so what?
oris horn system in living room.jpg

enjoy your less-than full-range listening, old timer.

doug s.

OldTimer

wow... i bought my 1st pair of subs 30 years ago, when my main speakers - thiel 3.5's - were 2db down at 20hz. the improvement in the low end, and to the thiels as well, as they were actively crossed over at 80hz so they and the amp driving them didn't have to deal with low frequencies, was exceptional. i won't ever listen to my audio playback system without subwoofers. it's because i like every song i choose to listen to, and i want to hear it done right. and, it's also why many major speaker mfr's actually provide subwoofer towers as part of their speaker systems.

my present set-up, actively quad-amped. it's flat from 20hz-20khz, just from manipulating the volume controls on the active 24db/octave x-overs; no dsp. yes, it's true, if there's no low frequency content in a recording, your subs won't be doing anything. so what?
View attachment 341304

doug s.
No no no. I won’t be using any subs on my music system but for the home theater is okay, no problem.

It will be destroy the guitar in a song from “Jeffrey Martin - Paper Crown”.

doug s.

No no no. I won’t be using any subs on my music system but for the home theater is okay, no problem.

It will be destroy the guitar in a song from “Jeffrey Martin - Paper Crown”.
i don't even own a tv, let alone h/t. and i guarantee you that, if set up properly, the song you mention will sound at least as good, and likely a bit better on a setup with subwoofers. properly crossing over to, and hi-passing your main speakers, will improve them thru the midrange, as well as improve the bass, if it's on the recording.

i listen to a lot of acoustic music, with guitars, fiddles, upright bass, etc... the instruments sound like they're in the room. check out the album "skip hop wobble", by russ barenberg, jerry douglas and edgar meyer...

but if you haven't experienced it, how would you know?

doug s.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

View attachment 341304

doug s.
Please tell me that your blinds move in time with the music, graphic equalizer style. :)

1705085137903.gif

doug s.

Please tell me that your blinds move in time with the music, graphic equalizer style. :)

View attachment 341466
my blinds move in time with the music, graphic equalizer style. happy? :D (actually, their movement is more in line w/plant growth) ;)

(and here's pics of when i was using my spectrum analyzer and pink noise generator to eq the system, but the eq was actually moving a bit more like the pic you posted):
audio system being measured.png

spectrum analyzer - flat measurement.png

doug s.

Top Bottom