• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For Audio Engineering Society Members and Associate Members

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Pacific Northwest Section of the Audio Engineering Society has presented meetings with jj that I and many of us really like and appreciate. The Chair of that group, Dan Mortensen, is trying to be nominated to be President of the parent AES organization, and needs 100 nominations from full voting Members, or from Associate members who want to upgrade their memberships in an easy procedure, in order to reach the ballot.

I have nominated him already, and encourage any of you who are willing to do so to read the document at this link:

I really like the work Dan has done to enable remote attendance using Zoom and such. We need more of that at the upper AES level to reduce the need to fly around just to hear the technical talks.

So please vote for Dan if you are a full AES member or are willing to upgrade/join.

Thanks,

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would've rejoined years ago; if only AES had a 5th membership category for retired cheapskates like myself.:(
202404_AESRetiredMember03F.jpg

You are welcome to have Mr. Mortensen consider putting it in his mission statement.

gberchin

Thank you -- I was unaware of the Life Membership category. Turned 65 last January, 32 consecutive years an AES member.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I will probably be dead by the time I qualify.....
LoL... I don't think Retiring-while-Dead is allowed!
AES should pay for qualified but retired brain-trust, which can contribute... while they still can!
Or, at least, reduce their yearly membership by half.;)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I was a member long ago, and looked into rejoining maybe 10 years ago, at which point "they" (do not recall whom) said I could be an associate but not a full member. IIRC it was because I was not actively employed in the audio field... Hmph.

I agree it'd be nice to have a lower-cost senior option as many other societies have. I'm still paying the IEEE but only because cost was cut in half after I retired.

That said, I've considered joining just for access to the papers, now that I have a little more time to read them.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@DonH56 >> Shame on you for pouring salt in my festering wound about such professional/technical societies/orgs. (AES, IEEE, etc.).
Direct quote of Thomas Jefferson pertaining to Intellectual Property:
“That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density at any point, and like the air … incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation. Inventions then cannot, in nature, be a subject of property.
'nuff said!:(

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Off-Topic and Anecdotal:
As young ('grunt') avionics engineers, we were tasked with a precipitation-static study for the AF, which was later decided to be presented in the mid-1970s IEEE Symposium in San Diego. Of course, the presentation was given by the Chief-of-Avionics, as it was the norm in those days (w/no credit warranted for the grunts tasked).
About a dozen years later, when computers pushed aside the typewriters: I attempted to get a copy of that p-static study report that was provided to the symposium attendees, as hand-outs. IEEE wanted to charge me for that study report, which had this grunt's name on the cover sheet.
I moved on and never was able to get a copy of my own report? :(

@DonH56: See how long this 'festering wound' has been with me?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have presented a number of papers at various conferences mostly long ago. The gov't usually retained rights to my work but allowed me to keep copies and publish at will so long as it was not classified. Of course, the company for which I worked usually had their own claims, which usually precluded me openly publishing the work. Couldn't really argue since the company paid for it. But the various national professional organizations (a small number) not only retained their rights, but restricted my right to publish, usually limiting me to a copy or two for my own use. If I wanted more than that I had to pay, and if anybody wanted a copy, they had to pay. Their rationale was that they paid for the conference costs and such, though they never paid my own costs (not all even paid my entrance fee, and sometimes I got a meal, never travel costs with one exception IIRC). Local and smaller groups were looser and usually more fun to be with (some of the big conferences were mob scenes). I had friends who received nice stipends for their work, but as I was usually employed by someone else (again, with few exceptions), they expected my company to pay. I thought of joining one or two of the seminar groups that taught courses around the country, but I hate travel, and making that pay as a full-time occupation was not something I really wanted.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you imagine having to pay $100.00 to get a copy of the AES75-2023?:mad:
I wanted to review this new AES75 version, to gauge its traction, but nooo!
The recommended "M-noise" [similar to trash-metal?] test signals supposed to reflect a more accurate representation of dynamic musical content (crest factor <20log Peak/RMS)
@amirm was not fan of this newer loudspeaker measurement standard.

Top Bottom