• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO KA17 filters

rexbinary

Anyone want to try to decipher the filters on the KA17? I can't find any documentation regarding them. #1 is the default.

1. MINI
2. MINI-SD
3. MINI-S
4. MINI-F
5. SLOW
6. FAST-R
7. FAST
8. FAST-A

Vladetz

Not sure, but:
1. Minimal phase
2. Minimal phase short delay
3. Minimal phase slow
4. Minimal phase fast
5. Slow linear phase
6. ?
7. Fast linear phase
8. Fast apologizing

Vladetz

1000006287.jpg
1000006288.jpg

Vladetz

Apodizing? I've not heard a filter that apologises to me... damn auto-correct huh? ;)

JSmith
Oh my bad
Of course I meant apodizing

OP
rexbinary

rexbinary

OK! This should be it I believe:

1.*MINI - Minimum phase
2. MINI-SD - Minimum phase slow roll-off low dispersion
3. MINI-S - Minimum phase slow roll-off
4. MINI-F - Minimum phase fast roll-off
5. SLOW - Linear phase slow roll-off
6. FAST-R - Linear phase fast roll-off low ripple
7. FAST - Linear phase fast roll-off
8. FAST-A - Linear phase apodizing fast roll-off

Thank you!

johny_2000

1. MINI, Minimum phase (default) - Version 2 of minimum phase fast roll-off (#4) with less ripple and more image rejection

2. MINI-SD, Minimum phase slow roll-off low dispersion - Provides a nice balance of the low latency of minimum phase filters and the low dispersion of linear phase filters. Minimal pre-ringing is added to achive the low dispersion in the audio band

3. MINI-S, Minimum phase slow roll-off - Lowest latency at the cost of image rejection

4. MINI-F, Minimum phase fast roll-off - Low latency, minimal pre ringing and low passband ripple, image rejection @0.55fs

5. SLOW, Liniear phase slow roll-off - Sabre legacy filter, optimized for lower latency, but simmetric impulse response

6. FAST-R, Linear phase fast roll-off low ripple - Sabre legacy filter, optimized for in-band ripple

7. FAST, Linear phase fast roll-off - Sabre legacy filter, optimized for image rejection @0.55fs

8. FAST-A, Linear phase apodizing fast roll-off - Full image rejection by fs/2 to avoid any aliasing, with smooth roll-off starting before 20k.

Last edited:

johny_2000

Now I'm trying to find matches between the ES9069 filter names and the ES9038Q2M filter names of my other (desktop) DAC so I can select the same one for audio comparison.
In that DAC from RME, a linear phase fast roll-off filter is set by default, "...offering the widest, most linear frequency response at lowest phase distortion".
It looks like filter #7 (FAST) in the FiiO KA17 is the same as the default filter in another DAC.
1712877733233.png

Last edited:

johny_2000

Anyone want to try to decipher the filters on the KA17? I can't find any documentation regarding them. #1 is the default.
What is your current opinion about this device?

I received it today and plugged the external power supply into the secondary USB-C power port for improved performance in "Desktop Mode" and was very impressed with the quality of the audio output. The engineering level is beyond doubt. We'll do some standard DAC measurements later to clarify the specifications.

20240412_012754.jpg

OP
rexbinary

rexbinary

What is your current opinion about this device?

I received it today and plugged the external power supply into the secondary USB-C power port for improved performance in "Desktop Mode" and was very impressed with the quality of the audio output. The engineering level is beyond doubt. We'll do some standard DAC measurements later to clarify the specifications.

View attachment 363201
I'm quite new to being an audiophile, but I can tell you to me it's a noticeable upgrade in sound from my beloved KA5.

johny_2000

Does peq allow for shelf filters?
Good question. I don't use PEQs on the device itself. Entering data from the phone interface is inconvenient and only allows you to save three user-configured profiles.

Instead, I use Equalizer APO+Peace on a Windows PC, which transfers data to this FiiO dongle. A much more convenient interface and the ability to save an endless number of presets for different headphones.

But, I will check for you the presence (or absence) of shelf filters after a while, when I connect it to the phone (the only way to edit EQs).

Last edited:

zeluxao

Good question. I don't use PEQs on the device itself. Entering data from the phone interface is inconvenient and only allows you to save three user-configured profiles.

Instead, I use Equalizer APO+Peace on a Windows PC, which transfers data to this FiiO dongle. A much more convenient interface and the ability to save an endless number of presets for different headphones.

But, I will check for you the presence (or absence) of shelf filters after a while, when I connect it to the phone (the only way to edit EQs).
Thanks. I ask for this specifically as it was one of the major flaws pointed out in the peq section of fiio's app. Plus to me they are very handy if you just want to boost a frequency section. Like more precise tone controls i guess.

OP
rexbinary

rexbinary

FiiO has posted their take on the K17 filters here: https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/906791.html

I'm posting them here reordered to match the order of them in the device menu.

MINI: Minimum phase (default) Conventional minimum phase filter. No front ringing, but very large rear ringing. MINI S D: Minimum phase slow roll-off low dispersion The relatively most natural sound. Note: Natural does not necessarily sound good, especially with poor quality recordings. MINI S: Minimum phase slow roll-off This filter is recommended if the song is at a high sample rate, e.g. ≥ 176.4kHz. MINI F: Minimum phase fast roll-off Approximates a "conventional minimum phase filter", trading ripple for faster roll-off SLOW: Linear phase slow roll-off Conventional linear phase filters with almost no filtering FAST R: Linear phase fast roll-off low ripple Conventional linear phase filters that reduce some ripple. FAST: Linear phase fast roll-off Traditional linear phase filter. Symmetrical ringing, audio DACs from 20 years ago were mainstream defaults for this filter. FAST A: Linear phase fast roll-off apodizing Linear phase filters incorporating special window functions to optimize transient response - Theoretical

Top Bottom