• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Early reports on new Topping PA5 ii and PA5 ii Plus?

hobbyist

This may be premature because the new Topping PA5 ii and PA5 ii Plus have just started shipping. But given the earlier problems, it would be very interesting to have first impressions on sound quality (and reliability) from people who were brave enough to order.

unpluggged

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Topping won't make the same beginners mistake potting modules again. But if they f#ck up the series 2, I'll have even less sympathy for them than I already do, considering how screwed over their customers were with the last PA5.

I mean seriously, somebody had to reverse engineer the stupid 'module'. A decent manufacturer would have publicly issued a mea culpa and released the gerbers for the PCB module, the internal schematic and values, because god knows, there's no actual parts available is there? That's the difference between a real HiFi manufacturer and a clown show.

There is no coming back from that fiasco in my book. And every single time I see another breathless review of a Topping piece here, I shake my head.

JSmith

Master Contributor
There is a thread already on this;

JSmith

cptsantos

Just bought a PA5 II and have been testing it for the last 3 days.

Works fine but I’m surprised to find it runs very hot even at idle.
In fact, it runs hotter on idle than my Sonos Connect Amp (ZP120) playing at high volume.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Just bought a PA5 II and have been testing it for the last 3 days.

Works fine but I’m surprised to find it runs very hot even at idle.
In fact, it runs hotter on idle than my Sonos Connect Amp (ZP120) playing at high volume.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
The original ran rather hot as well. I raised it up a bit (almost an inch) to make sure that cooler air can come underneath it and also make sure not to have any component below it that emits any heat.

Top Bottom