• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dongle, direct wired or Bluetooth ear/headphones with your phone?

How do you connect your phones/buds/IEMs to your phone for personal listening

• Direct cable with 3.5mm connector

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • USB dongle to wired phones/buds

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Bluetooth wireless connection

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Something else, please explain

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Multicore

Major Contributor
This poll is for those of you that regularly listen to audio played by the phone on your person using personal listening device such as headphones, earphones, earbuds, IEMs.

Those 3.5mm sockets seem to be on the way out and I expect I'll have to adapt to this new order at some point. I'm curious to see where y'all are at on this one.

Feel free to tell us what equipment you use, the kind of programming (e.g. music, speech...), and in what context (sports, walking dogs, public transit, cooking...). Feel free to be specific.

If you have a phone specifically chosen in part for its 3.5mm jack, what is it?

Last edited:
OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
I mostly use Bluetooth bone condition earphones for speech. I can't use IEMs owing to ear itch and I dislike losing situational awareness. For music if I want better quality personal listening away from my desk I have Koss KPH30i lightweight on-ear phones and Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee open over-ear phones. But I expect to need a dongle if I'm to use those with my next phone.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
When I bought this phone years ago having a 3,5mm jack was important to me. Since then I have bought wireless headphones, not for the wireless but other features. It is so nice not have a cable, especially if you're moving. I really don't care about sound quality in these situations, besides I'm playing MP3s anyway and I cannot hear anything wrong with it.

esowden

Bluetooth when I'm on the go. Wired when I'm not. Bedroom system is set up to play through dongle into preamp/amp combo to L-Pad attenuator, music room system is USB from phone to DAC to headphone amp. All files on my phone are FLAC. With three different brands of wired headphones - I have a nice selection to chose from depending on my mood.

markanini

Major Contributor
If I will be in a long call, and want be heard well on the other end, I use a dongle. The rest of the time it's bluetooth.

Top Bottom