• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters

rynberg

Forum Donor
On a measurement oriented site like this one... sure.

But on a facebook group, where someone purchased an NR7100, and now fears that it won't be useable.... it is all about them being happy with their purchase. Raising theoretical issues is just petty in that case.
I don't even know what to say to this utter and complete nonsense. So ignorance is bliss? This attitude is exactly why a terrifyingly large portion of our population believes in conspiracy theories and other such ridiculousness.

It's not a theoretical issue, the power available is cut in half. Facts don't matter anymore I guess.

2therock

Almost a week with the 4800 and zero complaints or regrets, everything just works and have not ran room correction.
I will run the Audyssey with the included mic and did download the app but want to ask if I should want to try Dirac with my 7.1 speaker layout what is the minimum package I can run.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Almost a week with the 4800 and zero complaints or regrets, everything just works and have not ran room correction.
I will run the Audyssey with the included mic and did download the app but want to ask if I should want to try Dirac with my 7.1 speaker layout what is the minimum package I can run.
Minimum Dirac package would be 2.0... so no real limit for you!

(in terms of Dirac capabilities )

2therock

Another AC Infinity Aircom T10 Cooler on X4800H Report.....
Still X4800H happy, VERY!
Picked up an AC Infinity Aircom T10 cooler. Using an infrared temp gun with all day casual mixed use it would read 105-107°F at the hottest point on the cover.
With the cooler on Auto, fan speed at 3, set to come on at 90°F using the 2 degree window it hangs out at 89°F fans off most of the time.
I can't believe how it will seem to be cooler sitting on the AVR with the fans off @ 89°F than with nothing on top of it.
I tried the 4 degree window and way more fluctuation and fan on time. I think keeping it from 87°F to 90°F is not bad with minimal fan time. Sometimes it will pop to 91°F momentarily.

pogo

Major Contributor
It's time for Denon to switch to Class-D too. DLART won't do any better...

dlaloum

Major Contributor
It's time for Denon to switch to Class-D too. DLART won't do any better...
I'm running ClassD on my mains, but a good ClassAB does just as well... I don't think there is a large difference between them, my vintage Quad 606 idles at a lower consumption level than my much much newer Crown ClassD amp... not by much, but measurably lower.
And in sound quality terms, many users on here are using the ClassAB Benchmark power amp... which provides state of the art performance!

Honestly I think that the major benefit would be a move from traditional transformer based power supplies to fully regulated switch mode power supplies - with resulting lower weight and size of the equipment, and the potential for higher current output (great for low impedance speakers)....

Is there any much difference between the x3800h and x4800h in actual? though x4800h is made in japan. If i want 5.2.2 setup minimum with sony oled tv apple tv 4k device. Will x4800h drive power hungry tower speakers like from wharedale/dali etc or it will be same as x3800 would drive?

EWL5

Is there any much difference between the x3800h and x4800h in actual? though x4800h is made in japan. If i want 5.2.2 setup minimum with sony oled tv apple tv 4k device. Will x4800h drive power hungry tower speakers like from wharedale/dali etc or it will be same as x3800 would drive?
According to Amir's measurements (found on the first post of the 3800 and 4800 review threads):

4800 max power was 134W into 8 ohm, 2-channels driven (125W per the box)
3800 max power was 114W into 8 ohm, 2-channels driven (105W per the box)

They both clearly punch above their advertised spec but even more telling is the following:

4800 max power was 175W into 4 ohm, 2-channels driven
3800 max power was 168W into 4 ohm, 2-channels driven

As many of us own speakers that are nominally 4 ohm or dip into that range often, is the above enough to justify a $800 MSRP difference (street price differential might be worse as the 3800 can be found much cheaper whereas the 4800 is rarely discounted)?!!! Yes, there is a SINAD difference but as some of us believe, in this segment you won't hear the difference! If you ever want to take a dive into the Dirac line of products, both the 3800 and 4800 support the same level of Dirac capability.

Oh and don't get me started on "Made in Japan"... ;)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh and don't get me started on "Made in Japan"... ;)
Okay, then don't, but I'll do it for you, just to say that one of the best measured/rated preamp/processor, the Anthem AVM90 is made in Vietnam. That's a wise move for Anthem as that obviously allowed them to be a little more competitive with Marantz, that made the AV10 in Japan. Marantz, being Masimo, could afford higher labor cost because they have the economy of scale on their side.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Use of Dirac Live, or Audyssey could result in relatively easier to hear improvements, than a few dB higher SINAD could do. When the X3800H is on sale, it would be one very nice high value AVR to beat.

Last edited:

EWL5

Use of Dirac Live, or Audyssey could result in relatively easy to hear improvements, than a few dB higher SINAD could do. When the X3800H is on sale, it would be one very nice high value AVR to beat.
You aren't kidding! When I initially got my 3800, I was unhappy w/how Audyssey set everything up and it only got partially better when I bought the $20 app. I had come from a string of successive Pioneer Elite AVRs and was used to MCACC. After paying for DL and setting it up properly, I can say that all my prior misgivings of "downgrading" from a Pioneer Elite LX701 to a Denon 3800 evaporated! I'm 99% confident you won't hear any difference b/w the 3800 and 4800 once everything is dialed in!

dave999z

You aren't kidding! When I initially got my 3800, I was unhappy w/how Audyssey set everything up and it only got partially better when I bought the $20 app. I had come from a string of successive Pioneer Elite AVRs and was used to MCACC. After paying for DL and setting it up properly, I can say that all my prior misgivings of "downgrading" from a Pioneer Elite LX701 to a Denon 3800 evaporated! I'm 99% confident you won't hear any difference b/w the 3800 and 4800 once everything is dialed in!

The $800 for a multi sub Dirac license is painful though. Does anyone know, if you purchase the license for, say, a 3800, and then you buy a 6800, can you transfer (reassign) the Dirac license to the new receiver?

x3800h drives these low impedance towers without an issue.

PXL_20231202_181637349.jpg

EWL5

The $800 for a multi sub Dirac license is painful though. Does anyone know, if you purchase the license for, say, a 3800, and then you buy a 6800, can you transfer (reassign) the Dirac license to the new receiver?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that it is possible to pass on the license to another of the same model but not to a completely different model!

I only paid for DL Full Bandwidth on Black Friday and opted not to get DLBC. I'm satisfied w/how it sounds using DLBM only and have no plans for ART, even when it becomes available for the 3800.

dave999z

Anecdotal evidence suggests that it is possible to pass on the license to another of the same model but not to a completely different model!

I only paid for DL Full Bandwidth on Black Friday and opted not to get DLBC. I'm satisfied w/how it sounds using DLBM only and have no plans for ART, even when it becomes available for the 3800.

Do you recall what the price was for a full multi sub Dirac Bass Control license on Black Friday?

EWL5

Do you recall what the price was for a full multi sub Dirac Bass Control license on Black Friday?
I paid less than $250 last Black Friday (includes tax). I also spent another $100+ for a UMIK-1. The 30% off of DL Full Bandwidth basically paid for the mic!

Just realized you asked about the multi-sub DLBC price (I don't have DLBC). Based on the current $499 price, you would be paying $349+tax come Black Friday since the discount is normally 30% off! So if you don't have any Dirac at all, figure about $600 for DL FB + DLBC (multi-sub)!

dave999z

I paid less than $250 last Black Friday (includes tax). I also spent another $100+ for a UMIK-1. The 30% off of DL Full Bandwidth basically paid for the mic!

Just realized you asked about the multi-sub DLBC price (I don't have DLBC). Based on the current $499 price, you would be paying $349+tax come Black Friday since the discount is normally 30% off!
Thanks. Yeah, you need the full bandwidth license in order to add on DLBC. The whole thing for multi subs normally costs $800. So I guess with 30% off it would have been around $560. For someone who has not been paying attention, does Dirac typically have a Black Friday sale? Any other sales?

Top Bottom