• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACS Have they gone about as far as they can go?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
To quote from 'Oklahoma,' have dacs reached the end of their development , vanishingly low distortion, huge dynamic range , it appears that manufacturers bring out flavours rather than genuine improvements?
Keith.

Opus111

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yet those with the most impressive measurements don't satisfy discerning listeners, in general.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Yet those with the most impressive measurements don't satisfy discerning listeners, in general.
"Listeners" who go stone deaf without peeking, fondling, knowing, etc, etc.

Unless of course you can cite reliable listening tests where the "discerning" were able to tell? No?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ten years ago, differences between some dacs were obvious, for example there were poor USB implementations,
but when I compared unsighted the first Weiss DAC ( dac2 with FireWire) to our extremely expensive DAC I couldn't tell them apart.
Now I tend to advise customers to purchase on facilities , some dacs still have IMO questionable design, no galvanic isolation, extremely high output etc but most 'properly engineered' dacs appear to sound pretty similar .
Keith.

Opus111

Ten years ago, differences between some dacs were obvious, for example there were poor USB implementations,
but when I compared unsighted the first Weiss DAC ( dac2 with FireWire) to our extremely expensive DAC I couldn't tell them apart.

I don't find 'telling apart' a particularly sensitive way to evaluate the different qualities of DACs. IOW, side-by-side listening isn't particularly revealing. Living with the box over a length of time is required. Poor USB implementations still exist incidentally, where 'poor' means lack of isolation (particularly at ultrasonic frequencies) between noisy PCs and audio equipment. Galvanic isolation only ensures isolation at LF (DC in particular).

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I don't find 'telling apart' a particularly sensitive way to evaluate the different qualities of DACs. IOW, side-by-side listening isn't particularly revealing.
Nonsense. That is by far the most revealing of real audio differences and why it is used scientifically. Aural memory is far more reliable short term. This is supposed to be a science forum if you recall.

Living with the box over a length of time is required.
For purely subjective satisfaction, sure. Yes, time is often needed for audiophile psychogenic melodrama to manifest (So called "Long term viewing"), so I don't disagree with you there. But in terms of actual sound, no.

cheers,

AJ

Opus111

Nonsense.That is by far the most revealing of real audio differences and why it is used scientifically.

Certainly that's a claim. But is there any support that its 'by far the most revealing' ? What does 'real' mean here btw?

Aural memory is far more reliable short term.

Well there's short term aural memory and I would agree that degrades very quickly over a few seconds. But short term aural memory isn't what I use to evaluate DACs, so your claim is irrelevant.

This is supposed to be a science forum if you recall.

Its not 'supposed to be' - it even has science in the name. No surprises though that it attracts some more at home with claiming and asserting in absence of evidence than explaining and testing falsifiable hypotheses.

Any explanation on offer for what 'psychogenic melodrama' means in practice?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Step one for me is to determine if there is any difference whatsoever between two components , unsighted and level matched.
If there is a clear and repeatably selected difference then I can think about why there is a difference and finally which is my subjective preference.
Keith.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Certainly that's a claim.
Not to the scientifically literate https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.1116/en

What does 'real' mean here btw?
Not due to your vision, beliefs, etc, etc.

But short term aural memory isn't what I use to evaluate DACs.
Right, you stare at it, fondle it, etc, "long term". Using a 12w TDA home brew amp and Chinese cone 'n dome ported box speakers. IOW, zero science.

Any explanation on offer for what 'psychogenic melodrama' means in practice?
The various things that crop up during your long term viewing, touching, conjuring, etc of the DUT.
Best left for your imaginative description.:)

cheers,

AJ

Mivera

Major Contributor
If we look at the top DAC's out there available today, I think it's safe to say that what really needs the most attention is the ADC's that the mainstream studio's use. This is the biggest bottleneck in the chain. So much talent is being wasted by using crap gear to convert the mic feeds into digital.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If we look at the top DAC's out there available today, I think it's safe to say that what really needs the most attention is the ADC's that the mainstream studio's use. This is the biggest bottleneck in the chain. So much talent is being wasted by using crap gear to convert the mic feeds into digital.
Biggest bottleneck is poor mastering followed by speakers. ADCs are mostly a solved problem.

fas42

Major Contributor
To quote from 'Oklahoma,' have dacs reached the end of their development , vanishingly low distortion, huge dynamic range , it appears that manufacturers bring out flavours rather than genuine improvements?
Keith.
It's easy to build a DAC from parts that measure conventionally to have sufficient performance. However, the reality is that the assembled unit is usually not engineered well enough to yield competent performance under all circumstances - a combination of the same basic parts will behave subjectively very differently from one design to the next - CH Precision is an example of a manufacturer who uses extremely conventional audio design, but then applies OTT engineering to the actual product - result is a unit that easily outperforms the garden variety components.

The downside is that such audio gear is very expensive, for all the usual reasons. It requires a higher level of competence in the engineering yet again to get equivalent capability just by using low cost solutions; meaning that competence can be bought for ordinary money.

fas42

Major Contributor
This is totally, totally wrong. All the recordings that currently exist are good enough in their raw state to produce an extremely satisfying experience on playback - why this doesn't happen is that defects of the replay chain, combined with those "failings" of the recording itself, equals unlistenable, or unpleasant sound. Simple solution: remove those playback chain defects ... Result: convincing recreation of the musical event.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I use a DAC designed by the guys at CH Precision , it is included in my Illusonic IAP processor and it does sound good , I agree that the design and implementation is absolutely key.
I also believe that it is often difficult for non technical listener to pick a really good design from the mediocre.
Keith.

Mivera

Major Contributor
This is totally, totally wrong. All the recordings that currently exist are good enough in their raw state to produce an extremely satisfying experience on playback - why this doesn't happen is that defects of the replay chain, combined with those "failings" of the recording itself, equals unlistenable, or unpleasant sound. Simple solution: remove those playback chain defects ... Result: convincing recreation of the musical event.

Well when you talk to the top studio engineers who produce the best sounding recordings available today, their opinion is different. So I think I'll just take their advice on this manner. However if I ever open up a studio one day and gain the same level of experience as them, I will offer a valid opinion based on my personal experience.

Last edited:

Mivera

Major Contributor
I use a DAC designed by the guys at CH Precision , it is included in my Illusonic IAP processor and it does sound good , I agree that the design and implementation is absolutely key.
I also believe that it is often difficult for non technical listener to pick a really good design from the mediocre.
Keith.

You have to be careful Keith and not forget that you sell expensive DAC's as well. Make sure to keep your opinion in line with the gear you sell. Otherwise it could affect your credibility.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What does credibility mean, I really believe there isn't a huge difference between well engineered oversampling designs .
I believe that far greater gains in sound quality can be found from loudspeakers and your room.
Keith.
Although having said that Bruno's and Sonny's dacs are the best in the world and everyone should buy one!

Mivera

Major Contributor
What does credibility mean, I really believe there isn't a huge difference between well engineered oversampling designs .
I believe that far greater gains in sound quality can be found from loudspeakers and your room.
Keith.
Although having said that Bruno's and Sonny's dacs are the best in the world and everyone should buy one!

Yes but speakers don't sound that great without any electronics connected to them. My thought's are that DAC's have been the limiting factor in my system in the past. I had speakers figured out years ago.

You tried Sonny's DAC already?

Top Bottom