• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer Audio Demystified

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I'll demystify it:

iPhone headphone socket -> amp -> speakers

Done!:)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I read through it. While it is generally well written, it is not beyond criticism itself. Here is an example. On the issue of listeners observing higher volume with better cable Archmiago says this:

"As for the comment about lower noise floor and "perception of loudness". All I can say is - prove it. This is easily demonstrated by measuring the noise floor and showing us the difference especially if it's that obvious to be audible in such a suboptimal playback environment! Notice how none of these presenters ever provide proof of theories like this. I can say that I have never experienced such a thing over the years using a good quality DAC neither in subjective listening nor when measuring the output. "

Well, I have heard the volume difference perception many times and have reported the same. Examples include cable AB tests I have done and heard the same at shows. And the Synergistic Research stuff.

At higher level, we can't dispute listeners actually reporting higher volume with us not hearing it. Unless we can prove the listeners lying, what they think they have heard, they have.

Now, do I believe the volume has actually gone up? No. As he says the best proof of that would be using measurements and such measurements would show no such difference. Why we perceptually hear higher volume is something I have not seen explained. I can explain hearing more air, more detail, or even lower noise floor (as a result of the former). But higher volume? From two identically performing systems? Why does that occur? But occur it does. It is a powerful false positive and one that needs more thought than outright dismissal of listeners never actually experiencing it.

He also says:

"Seriously folks, it's time to stop worrying about jitter with modern USB, ethernet, and even HDMI DAC's unless there are actual objective results to go by."

That statement regarding HDMI is only justified in the one AVR (Yamaha) that he tested. I tested half a dozen a few years back and they universally output lower performance over HDMI vs S/PDIF input using a high quality USB to S/PDIF converter. I should test a more modern AVR to see if there is improvement but for now, that is suspect.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Turning the volume up was and probably still is rife over here, wasn't there a case recently Marc Waldron ? Who claimed that someone was using the same song but versions recorded progressively 'hot' for their demonstrations/
Keith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The possibility of cheating certainly exists but no positive proof has surfaced. There was a report of someone at a Nordost demo saying this but it didn't get much past that.

Love to have positive confirmation one way or the other on these.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The company I am thinking of were ingenious in that the volume knob remained untouched, but the track number changed or that was the claim.
Keith

fas42

Major Contributor
Well, I have heard the volume difference perception many times and have reported the same. Examples include cable AB tests I have done and heard the same at shows. And the Synergistic Research stuff.

At higher level, we can't dispute listeners actually reporting higher volume with us not hearing it. Unless we can prove the listeners lying, what they think they have heard, they have..
This is standard stuff. I've heard this behaviour constantly over my years of tweaking gear, and of course the actual SPLs in the air never changes - but your perception of the loudness alters, depending upon the quality of the sound, playback. As a trivial example, a cheap radio with lots of distortion will sound LOUD as soon as one bumps up the volume knob a few notches - your mind is reacting to the unpleasantness, and is saying "That's enough!". But this adjustment by the brain, an internal AGC, also occurs with nominally very good playback, depending upon what artifacts, etc, are still audible. When "convincing" sound emerges the brain laps it up, wants more of it - in this case the subjective impression is not of loudness, but intensity; adjusting the level alters the impact, "massiveness" of the experience - extremely loud settings don't sound LOUD!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes I remember that. But we didn't have camcorder recording of it.
Yep, I absolutely believe they are cooking the books so to speak. But without concrete evidence like we had with the Audioquest HDMI video, sadly you can't march em to the electric chair. LOL

Top Bottom