• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closefield, not Near Field

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to talk about a bit of history.

I invented the term Closefield back in early-90s when we introduced the worlds fist Closefield Monitor Silver5L.

5L_In_Studio.jpg

I believed that the small area where the listener and the speaker are placed near to each other, like on a desk, should not be called Near Field because the term is already defined in acoustic engineering for something else.

Near Sound Field: that part of a sound field, usually within about two wavelengths of a noise source, where there is no simple relationship between sound level and distance, where the sound pressure does not obey the Inverse Square Law and the Particle Velocity is not in phase with the Sound Pressure.
http://www.acoustic-glossary.co.uk/sound-fields.htm

Obviously as the sound in a room does decay at 6 dB for a doubling of the distance from the speaker, the listener and the speaker are not in a near-field. Hence, all those small speakers on the market that are advertised as Near Field are using the wrong term.

Here is how I explained the concept back in 1993, when "near field" was not yet a thing. We had t-shirts made with "Closefield, not Near Field" written on, which we distributed at trade shows

Unfortunately, like most thing in marketing the term near field became the de-facto but totally wrong name for small monitors that can be mounted at a desk. As a small company with limited marketing budget the term "closefield" lost.

Last edited:

SSS

I want to talk about a bit of history.

I invented the term Closefield back in early-90s when we introduced the worlds fist Closefield Monitor Silver5L.

5L_In_Studio.jpg

I believed that the small area where the listener and the speaker are placed near to each other, like on a desk, should not be called Near Field because the term is already defined in acoustic engineering for something else.

http://www.acoustic-glossary.co.uk/sound-fields.htm

Obviously as the sound in a room does decay at 6 dB for a doubling of the distance from the speaker, the listener and the speaker are not in a near-field. Hence, all those small speakers on the market that are advertised as Near Field are using the wrong term.

Here is how I explained the concept back in 1993, when "near field" was not yet a thing. We had t-shirts made with "Closefield, not Near Field" written on, which we distributed at trade shows

Unfortunately, like most thing in marketing the term near field became the de-facto but totally wrong name for small monitors that can be mounted at a desk. As a small company with limited marketing budget the term "closefield" lost.
Closefield, nearfield. All is just a question of definition which can vary. How close is close and how near is near?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Closefield, nearfield. All is just a question of definition which can vary. How close is close and how near is near?
You are missing my point. Nearfield is a defined acoustic term, which is used for another phenomenon. Will it be normal if your optician tells you, you need close-field glasses?

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
You are missing my point. Nearfield is a defined acoustic term, which is used for another phenomenon. Will it be normal if your optician tells you, you need close-field glasses?
I actually appreciate this overlooked post. There is a difference between the two, and it follows suit with many of my own posts tackling issues where there seemingly is a consensus to believe inaccurate or even wrong statements as facts. I am actually planning a video called something like Nuance or Nuisance, where I go through some of these topics.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Near-Field™ Monitoring​

Ed invented Near-Field™ Monitoring. This monitoring technique was developed and detailed by Ed through the 70’s and by 1979 the technique was used by professional recording engineers all over the world. It is now used at some stage in the production of almost every recording made.

Top Bottom