• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Click/Popping sound when changing songs on Tidal connect: Topping D90SE/WiiM Pro

gallionetech

Hey all,

I am noticing when I change songs on Tidal using my WiiM Pro, this causes the bitrate to change based on the song. This causes a click/popping sound at the begging of the track when the D90SE is recognizing the new bitrate. Any ideas on how to solve this or is this expected?

Thanks in advance

staticV3

Master Contributor
have you tried enabling the EQ? just put like a 0.1dB filter somewhere if you don't want the sound to change.
chances are that enabling the EQ will result in all audio being resampled to the same, uniform sample rate and bit depth, therefore no more popping

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

have you tried enabling the EQ? just put like a 0.1dB filter somewhere if you don't want the sound to change.
chances are that enabling the EQ will result in all audio being resampled to the same, uniform sample rate and bit depth, therefore no more popping
That worked thanks!

SJB

Hey all,

I am noticing when I change songs on Tidal using my WiiM Pro, this causes the bitrate to change based on the song. This causes a click/popping sound at the begging of the track when the D90SE is recognizing the new bitrate. Any ideas on how to solve this or is this expected?

Thanks in advance
I had the same using Tidal through the WiiM interface, but no clicks when I switched to using Tidal Connect directly with the WiiM. I guess it´s a WiiM software issue, so hopefully easy fixed. WiiM works fine with Tidal Connect so no loss.

ExPerfectionist

I just found in the WIIM app > Device Settings > Audio Output > "Sample rate switch latency" setting

From the app: "Setting a sample rate switch latency helps to prevent the pop noise on certain DACs when coaxial signal switches on/off quickly."

I would recommend trying this setting instead and turning off the EQ and see if it solves the issue. That way there's no extra processing of the audio files necessary.

ErVikingo

Good suggestion but does not solve the problem on my Wiim (coax digital) to D90SE (XLR and DAC only mode).

Looking for options

raceskier

Forum Donor
I've started a couple tickets with WiiM on this issue. Apparently it is an issue with WiiM's firmware and a number of DACs. I've experienced "fixes" by WiiM that solved the issue, but then a new firmware update is released and the problem re-appears. I just switched out a SMSL SU-1 for a Schiit Modi+ and that has solved the issue, for now. We shall see if that remains with further firmware updates.

ErVikingo

I've started a couple tickets with WiiM on this issue. Apparently it is an issue with WiiM's firmware and a number of DACs. I've experienced "fixes" by WiiM that solved the issue, but then a new firmware update is released and the problem re-appears. I just switched out a SMSL SU-1 for a Schiit Modi+ and that has solved the issue, for now. We shall see if that remains with further firmware updates.
Thanks! In my case it is strange (to me) since it only manifests when I use XLR outputs no on RCA.

Top Bottom