• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best place to buy Digital Music now that Amazon has made it very difficult?

Destination: Moon

I like to buy and own my music collection. I have been faithfully buying all my music from Amazon. But now when you go on they do not let you play the songs you select.
There is a shuffle button there instead of a play button. The most annoying and stupid thing ever. I am gussing this is designed to try and make you buy a monthly subscription
instead of an occasional music purchase.

So? Who sells music for downloading on a usable platform??

Thanks

jhwalker

I like to buy and own my music collection. I have been faithfully buying all my music from Amazon. But now when you go on they do not let you play the songs you select.
There is a shuffle button there instead of a play button. The most annoying and stupid thing ever. I am gussing this is designed to try and make you buy a monthly subscription
instead of an occasional music purchase.

So? Who sells music for downloading on a usable platform??

Thanks
Qobuz.

JCM800

Bandcamp and Qobuz get almost all of my digital download money.

Bandcamp to support indie artists and small labels.

Qobuz for lossless hi-res downloads; no streaming account required, but if you sign up for their "Sublime" package, you get a steep discount on high-res purchases.

Qobuz purchases are downloadable as files (FLAC, ALAC, a few other options), but they're also attached to your Qobuz account*, so you can use the Qobuz mobile & desktop apps to stream them, or via a 3rd party player like Roon, Audirvana, Vox, etc., that supports Qobuz as a source.

*Qobuz account meaning email / password, not a paid streaming account

Gruesome

Forum Donor
The free tier of Youtube Music works for me, in the sense that I can search for and then play specific selected music files, without having to listen to what some entity considers to be equivalent or similar music. (Getting served 'similar' music is what happens when I try to use Amazon Music, despite having an Amazon Prime account.)

I do not know whether this is related to the fact that years ago I uploaded my music files to Google Music, where they still seem to exist in what is now my Youtube Music library.

FeelinNoPain

There’s also (probably overpriced) Prostudiomasters.com and HDTracks.com and https://www.highresaudio.com, and 7digital.

https://www.chandos.net/home and ATMA Classics and some other classical labels sell downloads direct from their websites.

Bandcamp is really very good. I’ve spent too much money there! There’s more and more available and it seems to be a much better deal for the musicians you are purchasing.

FeelinNoPain

I forgot that there’s also NativeDSD.com, if you‘re looking for classical music (they have just a smattering of jazz). Though the site is hard to navigate (their search function is quite hit and miss, it seems) and regular prices are stupid expensive, sometimes they‘ll have a sale and they often include pdf booklets. As the name suggests, they sell dsd, but not exclusively.

shuppatsu

Hmm, you might have some technical problem that can be remedied. I have never purchased digital-only tracks from Amazon, but for the CDs I have bought from Amazon, I can play them streaming from the Amazon music app for free. I only get the “shuffle” button for albums that I have not purchased.

Then again, it’s been a long time since I’ve bought a CD. Maybe the policy has changed and my digital rights are grandfathered in for those old tracks? Do your old tracks still play?

OP
D

Destination: Moon

Hmm, you might have some technical problem that can be remedied. I have never purchased digital-only tracks from Amazon, but for the CDs I have bought from Amazon, I can play them streaming from the Amazon music app for free. I only get the “shuffle” button for albums that I have not purchased.

Then again, it’s been a long time since I’ve bought a CD. Maybe the policy has changed and my digital rights are grandfathered in for those old tracks? Do your old tracks still play?
Hi,

I'm trying to buy specific new songs. You can find them but when they display in a play window the button is a shuffle button so you can't listen to make sure it's the song or version you want. Frustrating as hell

Top Bottom