• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Horror movies

North_Sky

Major Contributor
There are four of them (franchise), the original first one is the best ...

Great spot to go on vacation during a pandemic ... NOT
* I didn't watch it all, I had to quit because it was simply way too horrific ... in a very bad way where you can end up having nightmares for few weeks. .... NOT

It's a cool fun horrific flick to watch with all the family (all grown up of course).
This is no Disney Cinderella story movie...with the prince charming riding a white unicorn horse coming to kiss the princess on her bed. It's a bit different. ... VERY

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Jordan Peele (Get Out) ... Us

I still prefer Get Out, but there are some cool scenes in Us.

✒ Horror movies they come in all flavors...twisted to the max (The Cabin in the Woods), to classic (The Exorcist, The Thing), to extremely funny and extremely out of this world
Some use aliens, other monsters, some chainsaws, butcher knives, and we can see some CGI effects with ketchup, guts, mustard and raising hairs.

To me horror movies are comedies, because the real horror in life is real ... COVID-19 and everything else attached to it.

That's my opinion...and I like all type of flicks...comedies, dramas, romances, westerns, wars, sci-fi, based on real stories, film noir, classics, musicals, thrillers, black & white (a lot), masterpieces (too many to mentioned), sandals, adventures, actions and Charlie Chaplin (silent).

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think most of these are technically thrillers but haven't seen a great 'jump scare' horror film yet..

Possession (Zulawski, 1981)
The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)
A New Life (Grandrieux, 2002)
Videodrome (Cronenberg, 1983)
Cure (Kurosawa, 1997)
A Page of Madness (Kinugasa, 1926)
Evolution (Hadzihalilovic, 2015)
Woman in the Dunes (Teshigahara, 1964)
Onibaba (Shindo, 1964)
Kwaidan (Kobayashi, 1964)

TimF

Forum Donor
Once i picked up a dvd or vhs of the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in color and in Spanish. It is the one with Jessica Biel. I thought it would be funny in Spanish. It isn't. It is brutal and horrific (I can't say I wasn't warned), and it wouldn't even be funny in Yiddish. The movie House of Wax isn't bad and it has a brief part in it featuring Paris Hilton who soon enough gets a pipe through her head. Mod edit , political content removed . If you want dark but maybe not horrific you can't beat the Russian movie 4 (numeric title. It is a Russian dark comedy. Russians do dark comedy like no one else. Very dark.

Last edited by a moderator:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
The Night of the Hunter - Robert Mitchum is simply amazing - LOVE him and HATE him, only film ever directed by the great Charles Laughton
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - original from 1956, they keep you in suspense right to the very end
Psycho - Hitchcock at his most suspenseful, which is saying a lot!
Cape Fear - Mitchum again in the 1962 original - he was just a great badass without really trying, one of my favorite actors
Rosemary's Baby - what a cast - way cool ending, not Hollywood at all
The Exorcist - and her head spins all the way around...
The Omen - the kid, the dogs, the inventive way people keep dying, great cast too
Jaws - come on now, how much swimming did you do in the ocean that year...Robert Shaw was superb as Quint
Alien - the first one was the most suspenseful but the second Aliens is really a better movie
The Thing - 1982 version with Kurt Russell and a cast of great character actors. Truly some WTF special effects...
Carrie - even the nice people die horribly - thanks Mom!
The Fly - 1986 remake with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis - weird, funny, tragic, romantic and horrifying make for a nice night in
The Silence of the Lambs - you never catch Anthony Hopkins or Jodie Foster acting - they just are. amazingly great movie
The Terminator - the original from 1984 with Arnold as the truly badass cyborg from our future, great supporting cast
World War Z - the only great zombie movie. The scenes in Israel are simply terrifying, so fast, so overwhelming

have to admit that I have not seen many of the newer horror films but I did enjoy A Quiet Place...so appropriate too for this website

Psycho is a weak movie imo. It was revolutionary at the time, but I don't watch movies with this in mind.
Rosemary's Baby on the other hand is fantastic.
have to watch the other 2 classics you mentioned

pluplog

The recent Netflix rendition of Ju-on was pretty dark. After the show, I'm not sure which is scarier, the ghost or the humans.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a big fan of horror movies but some of my favorites have already been listed.

Alien
The Exorcist
Scream
The Grudge
The Conjuring

I do not like slasher films at all but if I must watch one it has to be Dead Alive. It is sooo over the top it’s hilarious, especially the lawn mower scene.

Martin

fred_64538

I'm not sure horror starts and stops but here are some I liked

The Exorcist
Silence of the lambs
Mulholland Drive
Midsummer
Heredity
Brahm Stoker's Dracula
Texas chainsaw massacre
The House That Jack Built

and a few off the radar films I like:
Eyes of my mother
House of the devil
The audition
The love witch
Nosferatu
Kontroll
Troll Hunter
Climax - That's odd. An error message says I can't link the film's wikipedia page without moderator approval. It won an award at the 2018 Cannes. But it's a Gaspar Noé film. Go figure.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked The Mothman Prophecies. Was based around the collapse of The Silver Bridge in West Virginia in the late 1960's which killed over 100 people when sent numiterous cars into the Ohio River outside Point Pleasant, W.VA.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow-- is that the monster from "It Conquered The World"? I have had an image of that in my head for twenty years because of the tune. It actually looks better than I imagined!
I remember seeing the publicity stills of Zontar, his name, posing with Beverly Garland in his lap.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of horror movies, right now I'm watching my weekly fix of Svengoolie. Tonights flix is The Mummy's Curse.
If you're not up on this show, each week a guy named Rick Koz does a Elviora type spoof of a different grade B horror flix.
This shows been around on and off since the early 70s in Chicago. Now broadcast weekly on the MeTV cable channel it's great campy fun.
Check it out some Sat night at 8:00 PM Eastern time.
https://www.newsday.com/entertainme...re-than-just-a-b-horror-movie-host-1.14429412
image.jpeg
When I was a kid growing up in Cleveland, Ohio in the early '60s we had a guy named Ghoulardi who did that. His real name was Ernie Anderson and he went to Hollywood and got rich doing voiceover work.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
When I was a kid growing up in Cleveland, Ohio in the early '60s we had a guy named Ghoulardi who did that. His real name was Ernie Anderson and he went to Hollywood and got rich doing voiceover work.

Ron Sweed took over as The Ghoul, one night he appeared in a Nixon mask and I almost passed out laughing. BTW that was Lee Van Cleef with Zontar.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
40 Days of Night. What happens when a bunch of Russian Vampires walk across the frozen Arctic Ocean and invade the Northernmost Town in the United States (Barrow, Alaska) just as it starts its 40 days in darkness.

Top Bottom