• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best casual headphone dB test?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If I don't have a GRAS , what's the best way for me to test if I a given listening volume is too loud with headphones?

Would, for instance, using a a smartphone dB meter app work well enough to gauge whether something is too loud for safety?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I don't have a GRAS , what's the best way for me to test if I a given listening volume is too loud with headphones?

Would, for instance, using a a smartphone dB meter app work well enough to gauge whether something is too loud for safety?
Umik microphone and REW software maybe?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I tried that just this weekend based on another thread. I truly had no clue but it measured about 75-80 dB , 85 peak when I put the bottom of the phone where my ear would be in the cup so Im going with "not too loud" - had it said 90+ I might have started thinking about ways of better measuring or calculating or just thought about turning down. To get the phone to measure that it was damn loud.

jae

Major Contributor
5f9cd8f799cd4959822673.png

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blutak a CD to the end of a handheld SPL meter or a measurement mic and then just press it against the pad to make the best seal you can.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With open back phones I just put my phone against the back of the cup whilst listening, whilst not accurate it's relatively consistent, and does not interrupt listening. You have to judge the relative distances between driver and ear and mic, and relative openness.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Umik microphone and REW software maybe?
Along those lines, how about a MiniDSP EARS?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Along those lines, how about a MiniDSP EARS?

I'm trying not to buy more gear just to find out if I'm listening too loud.

Top Bottom