• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AXPONA 2017: AIX Records, JVC, Benchmark, Oppo, Emotiva, DH Labs

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AXPONA 2017: AIX Records, JVC, Benchmark, Oppo, Emotiva, DH Labs

093A9279.jpg

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Mark Waldrep was manning this huge auditorium. He was playing multi-channel videos. Loved the sampler Blu-ray he has created for his kickstarter book on audio. The addition of video to audio made the experience more meaningful.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The benchmark amplifiers next to each speaker seemed like a clever way to power speakers. Speaking of speakers, I was disappointed in the Emotiva speakers he was using. Wish he had brought his JBL M2s.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So how do you find his surround recordings in terms of use of surround. He seems a bit polarizing. Some think his utilization for music is nice and others consider it wrong headed.

I have done a few experimental surround recordings now that I have a 5.1 setup of my own at home. I think it has much to offer music. It rather pains me the market for that is tiny and likely will remain that way with the increasing emphasis on portable/headphone music consumption. Not that marketing of my recordings is a big consideration.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't have a firm opinion today. When DVD-A/SACD came out, I did not like the mixes of the era, putting me in the middle with the guitar, horn or whatever playing behind me. It just seemed odd.

I plan to experiment again, especially in support of classical multi-channel music and concert videos.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So how do you find his surround recordings in terms of use of surround. He seems a bit polarizing. Some think his utilization for music is nice and others consider it wrong headed.
He used to offer alternative mixes so that one might select.

I don't have a firm opinion today. When DVD-A/SACD came out, I did not like the mixes of the era, putting me in the middle with the guitar, horn or whatever playing behind me. It just seemed odd.
I plan to experiment again, especially in support of classical multi-channel music and concert videos.
Most of those mixes were in the non-classical realm and, while a few classical releases are done with a more immersive mix than I think ideal, most still are.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I only have his Mark Chesnutt BR. On it he has two 5.1 mixes in Dolby TrueHD, one has the "audience" perspective, the other the "stage". Of the two I prefer to listen to the more conventional audience mix but also found the stage mix fun but like a bit of a side show. Hard to make any real criticism since our entire listening life has been with a audience mix and automatically it's going to sound wrong. Same thoughts have been expressed since the earliest days of quad and the musicians all around mixes of the day. A true situation where you'd have to say "use your ears". LOL
As to SQ I found the recordings to be very smooth, offering awesome dynamics and inner detail, very enjoyable. Just like seeing Mark Chesnutt and his band set up in a very small venue. I'm a big fan of his and this BR is a gold nugget in my collection.

BTW, most of Waltreps BR's include the two perspective 5.1 mixes, a 2 channel 24/96, and some type of fancy processed headphone mix.

JoeWhip

I have quite a few of his Blu-rays from my reviewing days. They offer exceptional recording quality. I prefer the audience mix as well. His Earnest Ranglin Order of Distinction with the great Monty Alexander is my personal favorite. I have some of his two channel downloads as well. I agree very smooth, very detailed with excellent dynamics. Very natural sounding as well.

Top Bottom