• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music: Atmos Stereo Downmix?

ClearHearing

I just have a regular stereo system. In Apple Music, is there a consensus about whether to play the lossless, often high-res stereo mixes or the stereo downmixes of the Dolby Atmos mixes? I realize I could look up the DRs for some albums, but I just want advice on what I should listen to by default.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This new blog post discusses my question at some length.

Nice to see some data (though I am not a fan of crest factor DR). It does match with my subjective experience. One thing I have noticed on my AirPod Pros is that the opposite-ish conversion often sounds better. Many songs recorded in stereo sound better upmixed to spatial. Often they sound better than than Atmos versions in spatial. I have no idea how to measure to see if there is something behind this or if it is in my head.

Top Bottom