• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Brian Eno Experts? Need Help

Curvature

Major Contributor
In the time-stamped interview below, Eno is playing a very unusual piece of music in the studio. Is it his? I haven't heard anything like it in his albums. I would appreciate help identifying it.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Just to make sure - you're referring to the brief bit before Pete Townsend starts speaking?

What a cool puzzle!! I don't have the exact answer but I have to say, it sounds a little bit like "Nerve Net". Unlikely to be an actual song from the album as I think I remember it well and it doesn't sound immediately recognizable, but it's a similar vibe. There was also a whole album with "Fractal Zoom" remixes, maybe check that out too.

bargainguy

I have an app on my phone that identifies music from short samples. This one came up "No song found." Maybe not released to the general public.

OP
Curvature

Curvature

Major Contributor
Just to make sure - you're referring to the brief bit before Pete Townsend starts speaking?
Yes, exactly.

I will try the albums you mentioned but I don't have much hope.

OP
Curvature

Curvature

Major Contributor
I have an app on my phone that identifies music from short samples. This one came up "No song found." Maybe not released to the general public.
I am hoping that's not the case. It sounds too good not to release.

bargainguy

I went back in the app and tried again. This time it identified "Thursday Afternoon" by Eno.

OP
Curvature

Curvature

Major Contributor
I went back in the app and tried again. This time it identified "Thursday Afternoon" by Eno.
That's the first song, not the song at the timestamp.

I also attached a wav file, but I don't see it. The format must not be acceptable.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
I did a little more digging! My initial hunch was in the right direction - this video was recorded on 10th of August, 1993 and "Nerve Net" was released in 1992, so there is a good chance Eno was working on material from or from around the album in this clip.

Now, I just listened through "Fractal Zoom" remixes maxi-single (this release) and the clip from the video sounds quite similar to "Fractal Zoom (Bucolic Mix)". Syncopation of the guitars (?) in the clip is different from the song though. By the way this remix is so beautiful!

Wikipedia lists several compilations of "unused" music worth checking out:

- Eno Box II: Vocal (Box set (3 CDs plus CD-package booklet) focusing on vocal tracks recorded between 1973 and 1992)
- Eno Box I: Instrumental (Box set (3 CDs plus CD-package booklet) focusing on instrumental tracks recorded between 1970 and 1988)
- Curiosities Volume 1 (compilation of unused music)
- Curiosities Volume 2 (compilation of unused music)

And finally, there's also "Ali Click" single from "Nerve Net".

I'm tracking down all of the above :)

Pe8er

Forum Donor
@Curvature sorry, I don't have good news for you so far. I dug through all the albums, singles and compilations from around 1993 I could get my hands on and nothing. Bummer! However, I did stumble upon some gems I didn't know existed:

1. I Dormienti (1999) feels like a culmination of his ambient + industrial + vocal themes. So dense and spacious.
2. Beyond Even (1992/2006) collaboration with Robert Fripp is fantastic. "Hopeful Timean" and "Cross Crisis in Lust Storm" tracks in particular caught my ear.
3. "Drift Study" from "Instrumental" compilation (1993) would feel at home as soundtrack to the original Blade Runner (with all due respect and awe and worship for Vangelis of course)

By the way, I'm not giving up. I just emailed Eno's booking agency and his gallery :p My hopes are quite slim but who knows? We may get lucky.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no answers but by goodness this man talks sense.

OP
Curvature

Curvature

Major Contributor
@Curvature sorry, I don't have good news for you so far. I dug through all the albums, singles and compilations from around 1993 I could get my hands on and nothing. Bummer! However, I did stumble upon some gems I didn't know existed:

1. I Dormienti (1999) feels like a culmination of his ambient + industrial + vocal themes. So dense and spacious.
2. Beyond Even (1992/2006) collaboration with Robert Fripp is fantastic. "Hopeful Timean" and "Cross Crisis in Lust Storm" tracks in particular caught my ear.
3. "Drift Study" from "Instrumental" compilation (1993) would feel at home as soundtrack to the original Blade Runner (with all due respect and awe and worship for Vangelis of course)

By the way, I'm not giving up. I just emailed Eno's booking agency and his gallery :p My hopes are quite slim but who knows? We may get lucky.

There's a possibility it's a collab with Adrian Sherwood but I have not heard anything that matches.

Top Bottom