• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR Preamp Connection Question

terfenol-D

All,

I am looking at purchasing an Anthem STR preamp to replace my NAD C658 preamp to hopefully improve room correction. I have similar sub output concerns with my NAD that is well documented in the C658 thread on here.

The Anthem has balanced outputs for both main channels and subs in both XLR and RCA connections. My current sub only has RCA inputs. I have threads here that going from balanced to RCA connection via patch cable can be problematic. I also have read that balanced has higher voltage output (gain?) than RCA which leads to difference in levels. Does anyone know if the ARC room correction/bass management corrects for the different output types? IE - do I need the preamp via all RCA or all balanced outputs to take advantage of room connection? I know you can use both at the same time just don't know how the use of both is impacted by room connection. I have a theory this question (balanced vs sub RCA output) is what causes the issue in the NAD. I don't really know how to test that theory though.

I could potentially switch subs but am size constrained in how large the sub can be. I currently have an SVS micro 3000. I can do another one but can't really go larger.

Thanks.

33AndAThird

Hey there, I have an Anthem STR Pre AND am thinking of getting an SVS Micro 3000 so you’ll have to let me know how this sounds

AFAIK the room correction corrects for the output as heard by the ARC mic, and so compensates by whatever margin to get the sound in the room to match the target curve. This should be agnostic as to which outputs you are using, which makes sense if you think the voltage differential on the output is just one of the variables that determines volume in the room (amp gain, sub amp gain, speaker sensitivity, etc). You also select whether you are using XLR or RCAs in the preamp setup, so if ARC needs to know for any reason, it has access to that information.

Switching outputs (eg from RCA to XLR) might mess up the profile, meaning you’d need to rebuild it if you did this, but assuming you keep the same equipment hooked up in the same way, ARC should work just fine hooked up to either.

Top Bottom