• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am I mad? Judge me...and leave a recommendation.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
So I hate valve amps (erm...'toob' amps). I don't like their sound. I don't like their performance. I don't like the fact that you have to spend a relative fortune to get a half-decent-sounding one.

Now you may disagree with any or all of that, but let's leave that to one side for the moment, because you can still help me out, even if you totally disagree. Isn't that a breath of fresh air.

I also think they look fantastic. I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea, but for me they look quite wonderful.

So I want one. But I'm not going to use it, at least not to power any speakers or headphones. I just want a set of massive, juicy glowing valves on my desktop.

And I want them to cost next to nothing.

Over to you for recommendations.

Many thanks.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Buy some valves, they don't even have to work, valve holders, a nice looking box, possibly an old broken amp, some LEDs and go wild. :)

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Buy some valves, they don't even have to work, valve holders, a nice looking box, possibly an old broken amp, some LEDs and go wild. :)

Nice one.

Given that I’m buying it for the looks, I do want a strong element of ‘classy, finished’ look to it.

Ruhled

I've come to a point in my tube journey where I lately use tubes in the output stage only. It took me about 20 years to end up here but I'm glad I did. Do the opposite of what everyone else says is necessary for good sound because it's frankly all stories. Solid state rectifiers, opamp/fet front end, and moderate to heavy negative feedback. Gave up nothing and finally have absolutely no 60z hum, no 120hz hum, and no hiss on 100db+ horns in a smallish room.

It's possible to get a noise free system with a tube front end, but it's a lot harder to get there, and its not likely to stay that way for long if you do imho.

ErVikingo

I love my "tobos" but I also have a "lamplifier" which sounds like what you are looking for!

61f1a2e39808e1d9d0f96cf21fbfd011fb63eef5_2_666x500.jpeg

egellings

Major Contributor
So I hate valve amps (erm...'toob' amps). I don't like their sound. I don't like their performance. I don't like the fact that you have to spend a relative fortune to get a half-decent-sounding one.

Now you may disagree with any or all of that, but let's leave that to one side for the moment, because you can still help me out, even if you totally disagree. Isn't that a breath of fresh air.

I also think they look fantastic. I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea, but for me they look quite wonderful.

So I want one. But I'm not going to use it, at least not to power any speakers or headphones. I just want a set of massive, juicy glowing valves on my desktop.

And I want them to cost next to nothing.

Over to you for recommendations.

Many thanks.
Buy a chassis, some cheap large tubes & sockets for them and a filament transformer and go nutz with it.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 5 is a 2 upside down, FYI. I have one and it starts many a conversation, with its Russian tubes from the early 60s.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just buy a tube amp and enjoy it.

A proper HiFi enthusiast should have the following things or they are not serious:

At least 4 pairs of speakers
Several integrated amplifiers.
A few pre/power pairs.
Two broken cassette decks and one mostly working.
Random mixtapes.
A 10" NAB reel of tape with some obscure master of an artist nobody's heard of.
3 CD players- one with a jammed CD inside.
A decent turntable or three.
Two pairs of headphones.
And
At least one Tube Amp!

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just buy a tube amp and enjoy it.

A proper HiFi enthusiats should have the following things or they are not serious:

At least 4 pairs of speakers
Several integrated amplifiers.
A few pre/power pairs.
Two broken cassette decks and one mostly working.
Random mixtapes.
A 10" NAB reel of tape with some obscure master of an artist nobody's heard of.
3 CD players- one with a jammed CD inside.
A decent turntable or three.
Two pairs of headphones.
And
At least one Tube Amp!
Wow I'm doing pretty good but no mix tapes or or reel to reel. :facepalm:

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just be sure you keep them glistening with your Gun Oil for best effect.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want opinions: You might be the most sane of all. You're looking for a tube amp strictly for what it's best at - looking cool.

If I were you I'd look for broken amps that still power on and glow and whatnot. "Powers on, no sound" could be an alert on your phone. :)

Top Bottom