• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice needed for active crossover setting on Yamaha NS1000M

OP
P

petarst

Problem is that i dont have will, knowledge, time and money to play with them. I will try to sell them, because its a mess and time consuming without known achievment.

Shouldn't that be achievable with the pots on the front? And thanks for sharing your insights on this speaker. I picked up a pair last fall and have been having some fun with mine.

To the OP - if you're doing active you should be measuring frequency response. And I think part of what auricgoldfinger's saying is there's no one size fits all approach here. So chucking it all in to just get a different set of speakers might not get you any further ahead. I would think one of the benefits of going active is getting proper room response which is achieved by measuring (and a lot of trial and error). They're nice speakers, if you like the way they sound I would stick with it. Adding some protection for the drivers is a good idea unless you live in Japan, the replacements are pretty expensive.
Hi spiral scratch,
No problem, I'm happy to contribute. I bought my pair when I was 23 and now in my 30's I'm still uptmost impressed with them.

The short answer is no, the control cannot fix the response in the 300-900Hz band. The reason is the pad is a line impedance matching attenuator with two conducting tracks and wipers which keeps the crossover and load seeing the same impedance as the level is changed. As the dial is turned down it attenuates the entire pass band of the midrange like a volume control. That is to say, adjusting the level of the mid doesn't change any smaller desired band like an EQ would. Below, the plot kind of shows the elevated midrange, but I find it sounds best this way with the dials set to normal.

This measurement was taken in the middle of a room, but not in my listening room. Tons of reflections, but I use this spot because the room doesn’t get changed around.

NS-1000M response in room small.png

I used Littelfuse 251 series 500NRTIL 500mA, very fast acting fuses. They go open exponentially faster as the current is increased. At 400% overcurrent, 2A (about 28W with the driver's 7 Ohm min impedance) they open in about 20-30 milliseconds. Music has a crest factor so one can get pretty loud before they open. The measured cold resistance is 0.42 Ohms, no reactive properties detected with an LCR meter. The 630mA version are .33 Ohms and the 375mA are .54 Ohms.

Last edited:

spiral scratch

Problem is that i dont have will, knowledge, time and money to play with them. I will try to sell them, because its a mess and time consuming without known achievment.

I get that. There are more simplified options out there, but I'm far from able to make any suggestions. There are systems where you just hook everything up and point a mic from your chair and it will measure and calibrate for it all for you. Dirac comes to mind, but I'm just guessing. Maybe you can do that in combination with the dsp you already have? Depending on your desired outcome you might be better to start a thread outlining what you are hoping to accomplish in the room acoustics, home theatre or stereo and multichannel forum for that.

The short answer is no, the control cannot fix the response in the 300-900Hz band. The reason is the pad is a line impedance matching attenuator with two conducting tracks and wipers which keeps the crossover and load seeing the same impedance as the level is changed. As the dial is turned down it attenuates the entire pass band of the midrange like a volume control. That is to say, adjusting the level of the mid doesn't change any smaller desired band like an EQ would.

I thought this might be the case, too broad of a brush. I have some rudimentary EQ in my picore player, maybe I'll take a look at what's achievable with that.

OP
P

petarst

I get that. There are more simplified options out there, but I'm far from able to make any suggestions. There are systems where you just hook everything up and point a mic from your chair and it will measure and calibrate for it all for you. Dirac comes to mind, but I'm just guessing. Maybe you can do that in combination with the dsp you already have? Depending on your desired outcome you might be better to start a thread outlining what you are hoping to accomplish in the room acoustics, home theatre or stereo and multichannel forum for that.

I thought this might be the case, too broad of a brush. I have some rudimentary EQ in my picore player, maybe I'll take a look at what's achievable with that.
Thx mate, this is forgotten story I will return old crossover and i will sell them. Probably i will go for Tannoy :)

Top Bottom