• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[ADVICE] Dac&Amp for € 500/600

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Acc. to Beyer they are 96dB/mW and at 600 Ohm that would make it 98.2dB/V so I set it at around 100dB/V.
It also depends on how efficiency is determined.
With noise in a certain bandwidth, at 500Hz or at 1000Hz.
Then there is product variance as well as well as measurement error (calibration).
Differences of a few dB are not uncommon.

intelfx

I'll have to jump in — nobody replied to my question in the DX7Pro comments section. Let's say I have the DT990 600Ω and DX7Pro (built-in amp). According to its specs it is rated for 300Ω on the unbalanced output, and 600Ω on the balanced one. According to measurements here on ASR, its unbalanced output can deliver ~120mW @ 300Ω.

I attempted to test-drive the DAC/Amp with 250Ω and 600Ω variants of the DT990, and I think the 600Ω variant sounds worse. On the resident demo amp though, I liked the 600Ωs more. (but it was not a blind test and I'm not in any way an experienced listener, so it may be a case of confirmation bias — or confirmation bias that I have confirmation bias?)

Does that sound plausible? If yes, then will I benefit from rewiring the headphones to use a balanced connection? Or should I get a better amp? Or should I get 250Ω headphones?

Last edited:
Top Bottom