• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding Ethernet cable to Router not to a Switch

ronorn

I have a router with 3 output sockets.
One 2.5GB
Two 1.0GB
From the router, 2.5GB output an Ethernet cable comes out to a switch from which 8 cables are coming out for home appliances ( including a Streamer ).
If additional, if I will add ethernet cable to another router outlet 1.0GB , And from there directly to a streamer (not through the switch)
Is the "new" connection better than existing?
The cable length from the switch / router 15 meters. Simple Cat 8
Thanks.

Last edited:

EdW

Audio data rates are rather undemanding on bandwidth. The streamer has probably got a substantial data buffer so even if the 2.5Gb/s link were being used for a major download by another device it is unlikely that the data to the streamer would be interrupted to the extent that the buffer is emptied. So no, both streamers should function OK with no difference in performance

OP
R

ronorn

Audio data rates are rather undemanding on bandwidth. The streamer has probably got a substantial data buffer so even if the 2.5Gb/s link were being used for a major download by another device it is unlikely that the data to the streamer would be interrupted to the extent that the buffer is emptied. So no, both streamers should function OK with no difference in performance
My mistake that I didn’t explain myself.
There is only one streamer.
Meaning: connecting to the only streamer directly instead of from a switch
Other connections with the switch remain

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So instead of the connection being:

router => switch => streamer

You want to change it to:

router => streamer

To answer your question: "Is the "new" connection better than existing? "

It won't make any difference.

My qualification to answer this question: I have worked with various networks of various sizes for 20+ years.

OP
R

ronorn

So instead of the connection being:

router => switch => streamer

You want to change it to:

router => streamer

To answer your question: "Is the "new" connection better than existing? "

It won't make any difference.

My qualification to answer this question: I have worked with various networks of various sizes for 20+ years.
Thank you very much for your reply. Very appreciated.

EdW

Thank you very much for your reply. Very appreciated.
I forgot to add that a digital connection is very much ‘go’ or ‘no go’. It will either work perfectly or there will be a break up of the data stream leading to very obvious loss of audio quality - nothing subtle. With Ethernet faulty packages are re-transmitted so there is additional protection here. As regards the ’best’ connection I’d choose the wiring which is least obtrusive - all other things being equal.

OP
R

ronorn

I forgot to add that a digital connection is very much ‘go’ or ‘no go’. It will either work perfectly or there will be a break up of the data stream leading to very obvious loss of audio quality - nothing subtle. With Ethernet faulty packages are re-transmitted so there is additional protection here. As regards the ’best’ connection I’d choose the wiring which is least obtrusive - all other things being equal.
A better Ethernet cable ? If so , Any recommendations?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Ethernet cables, switches, routers can not have any effect on sound, unless they are faulty or wrongly configured, in which case you get nothing or very, very audible dropouts.

Swap cables, routers, switches, bridges as much as you like. Chain them together however you want. The sound will be completely unchanged.

OP
R

ronorn

Ethernet cables, switches, routers can not have any effect on sound, unless they are faulty or wrongly configured, in which case you get nothing or very, very audible dropouts.

Swap cables, routers, switches, bridges as much as you like. Chain them together however you want. The sound will be completely unchanged.
Thank you !

gwing

Forum Donor

The sound should be completely unchanged - unless you count possibly adding hum to the sound system you connect that ethernet wire to.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound should be completely unchanged - unless you count possibly adding hum to the sound system you connect that ethernet wire to.
For some reason people invests in screened Ethernet variants and introduce ground loops and making things worse than they where .

You only need the screened Ethernet cables in very harsh industrial settings, any large VSD's nearby, industrial rectifiers , arc furnace ? Radar installation ?

gwing

Forum Donor
For some reason people invests in screened Ethernet variants and introduce ground loops and making things worse than they where .

You only need the screened Ethernet cables in very harsh industrial settings, any large VSD's nearby, industrial rectifiers , arc furnace ? Radar installation ?
Yes, unshielded/unscreened avoids introducing ground loops but then you should try to keep them away from your power lines to avoid induced hum or interference.

I think the best choice is probably a simple cheap Cat 6a wire which is usually U/FTP construction i.e. unshielded and thus avoiding ground loops but still with foil wrapped twisted pairs so that interference is minimised. Keep 50mm away from your power sources seems to be the recommendation for this type of wire. Cat6 is similar but without the foils so the equivalent clearance distance from cables would be 200mm not 50mm (at least according to the specs I've read :).

OP
R

ronorn

Yes, unshielded/unscreened avoids introducing ground loops but then you should try to keep them away from your power lines to avoid induced hum or interference.

I think the best choice is probably a simple cheap Cat 6a wire which is usually U/FTP construction i.e. unshielded and thus avoiding ground loops but still with foil wrapped twisted pairs so that interference is minimised. Keep 50mm away from your power sources seems to be the recommendation for this type of wire. Cat6 is similar but without the foils so the equivalent clearance distance from cables would be 200mm not 50mm (at least according to the specs I've read :).
Thank you

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
A better Ethernet cable ? If so , Any recommendations?
You might have a look at the specs of your streamer. Most of the time their Ethernet port runs at 100 Mbps.
CAT5e supports up to 1000 Mbps.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
You may get ground loops if you use screened cables, but there are no domestic reasons where screened ethernet cable is needed.

Reactions: EdW

DLS79

Forum Donor
One 2.5GB
Two 1.0GB
As a sidenote its Gb not GB. A GB is 8 times larger than a Gb.

The cable length from the switch / router 15 meters. Simple Cat 8
Don't waste you money on a Cat 8 cable. the lowest spec Cat 8 cable is rated for 25Gbps. Even for your 2.5Gb port you don't need anything more than a Cat 6a or cat 7 cable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom