• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ACTIVE STUDIO MONITOR REPAIR FACILITY

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
I have a pair of (active ) Focal CMS 50s with the subwoofer which have served me well at the office - until one suddenly died. Purchase date was 2011 from Sweetwater. I am learning that old active monitors which cost less than $1000.00 each have a defined service life. I cannot find a repair facility anywhere. The CMS 50 speaker amp specs include: HF amplifier stage: 50W RMS, class AB, LF amplifier stage: 80W RMS, class AB. Any suggestions re: an independent repair facility? Thx for any suggestions.

OP
Confused_by_tech

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
I did. Sweetwater was my first inquiry. No joy. If the speaker model is not "current" (e.g. not currently or recently stocked by Sweetwater) they cannot/do not offer support.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Any reasonably competent audio electronics repairperson should be able to fix it with a schematic.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yelp in USA, your area. Search Audio Electronics Repair

Jaxjax

I assume you contacted Focal .? They might have that plate amp pack. If not maybe try to get the schematic from them .

EERecordist

It would be ideal to have a schematic and board layout. Maybe Focal can provide. Also ask and search on audio forums.

But without a schematic, a competent tech with your good one and your failed one side by side should be able to solve it.

The ony place trouble arrises is when a manufacturer does not provide a schematic+parts list, and they deliberately erase the part number markings in manufacturing. If all else fails, you can use REW or the like to sweep the input frequency and measure the signal to each driver. Then you can recreate the filter with a DSP and use any amps.

This is solvable, good luck!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd ask Focal. Wouldn't expect a lot for an older speaker, tho.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the entire monitor (as opposed to a single driver) died, I'm wondering if a fuse may be blown. That would be an easy fix.

My apologies if you've already considered the possibility.

OP
Confused_by_tech

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
A lot of irons in the fire on this. I will report back when / if I can offer something of value. Sadly the units power up (so unlikely to be a fuse from my research). Thanks for the responses to date. On a positive note unrelated to this thread, I just replaced an old SMSL M300 MKII DAC with the Topping DP70 Pro Sabre / A 70 Pro combo and could not be happier. It has a lot of features, some which I am not qualified to judge, but when things are kept simple it's a joy.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any reasonably competent audio electronics repairperson should be able to fix it with a schematic.
Go try and find the OP a schematic and see what happens.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue is that the real experienced good ones are retired or dead...

Mikig

I also have a problem with my Meridian M33 active monitors, which I use for TV. one of the two has less volume and is a little more muddy... I would be ready to open it but then what to do?? There are fewer and fewer repairers here, the rule now applies: it would cost too much, get them new!!!!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Contact your local representative and demand proper schematics and service literature from manufacturers!

dfuller

Major Contributor

EERecordist

I also have a problem with my Meridian M33 active monitors, which I use for TV. one of the two has less volume and is a little more muddy... I would be ready to open it but then what to do?? There are fewer and fewer repairers here, the rule now applies: it would cost too much, get them new!!!!
There is a Meridian discussion board for schematics. I'd start by just reseating the inputs. If that doesn't improve it you may be in for a capacitor replacement. Some people just do them all, and others change them selectively. It would make sense to do both speakers. Someone could also put them side by side on the bench and go through the signal path with a signal source and a spectrum analyzer.

EERecordist

Contact your local representative and demand proper schematics and service literature from manufacturers!
Yes, and software that can be maintained too, though maintaining toolchains is a challenge.

Working on another project, we encouraged code repositories. You absolutely need it if the maker goes out of business or kills the product.

There are right-to-repair regulations popping up across the world. That might help for future products.

Mikig

There is a Meridian discussion board for schematics. I'd start by just reseating the inputs. If that doesn't improve it you may be in for a capacitor replacement. Some people just do them all, and others change them selectively. It would make sense to do both speakers. Someone could also put them side by side on the bench and go through the signal path with a signal source and a spectrum analyzer.
Thanks for your suggestions!! surely if they have to be repaired I will ask to work on both, they are still over 20 years old!!

Top Bottom