• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3-Channel Amp Recommendation?

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I currently have a Pass Labs X5 and two PS Audio Trio A100's which utilize the B&O Ice Power 200ASC modules in a dual mono config. If I wanted to try something more transparent than these for the front three channels of my Home Theater and L/R of my stereo setup what would some good options be under $2k?

Expecting people to say the Audiophonics and Buckeye branded PuriFi ET400 based 3-channel units, is there anything else I should be considering? I don't like the reliability of the Topping amps at all and probably won't consider them. The Pass Labs amp, despite having an undeniable tube like 3D quality when warmed up is also a little noisy, despite a full recap. The massive toroidal transformer itself can be heard from a couple of feet away, and it drives my OCD brain nuts. The PS Audio units are quiet but uninspiring, couldn't really say why. They sound good for movies but don't do anything for me musically.

What say you?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Radar

Forum Donor
I have a Audiophonics HPA-S400ET and a HPA-T400ET. They are both very good amplifiers. However I have a restart problem with the HPA-T400ET. Basically if you restart too soon when it is warm it trips out. You just have to wait a bit before restarting. I have worked out the reason for this. Unlike the HPA-S400ET it doesn't use the Amplifier ON signal from the power supply, which provides a second delay for the buffer amplifiers to stabilize before the Purifi modules turn on. In the HPA-T400ET the Purifi modules turn on when power is supplied, meaning any DC offset in the Buffer trips the Purifi module and then the supply.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I have a Audiophonics HPA-S400ET and a HPA-T400ET. They are both very good amplifiers. However I have a restart problem with the HPA-T400ET. Basically if you restart too soon when it is warm it trips out. You just have to wait a bit before restarting. I have worked out the reason for this. Unlike the HPA-S400ET it doesn't use the Amplifier ON signal from the power supply, which provides a second delay for the buffer amplifiers to stabilize before the Purifi modules turn on. In the HPA-T400ET the Purifi modules turn on when power is supplied, meaning any DC offset in the Buffer trips the Purifi module and then the supply.
That sounds like an annoying problem that would potentially drive me crazy. With my ICE powered amps I just leave them on 24/7 because they’re class D and never get hot..

Is that not the case with Hypex amps? Or not advisable?

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Why is Apollon significantly more money for the same products that Nord sells? Austrian assembly that much better than British?

Radar

Forum Donor
Usually I would not turn my Amp off and then on, but I was having problems with my Denon and was using the trigger feature when I found out about the Amp trip problem. If you don't restart it, or just wait a bit before restart there is no problem. It only happens after it warms up, but once tripped you have to wait 1 minute for the supply time out to be removed.

DoesNotExist

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor

Radar

Forum Donor
The Audiophonics HPA-T400ET is a Purufi based Amp. I haven't got a Hypex amp, but the HPA-T400ET uses a Hypex SMPS1200 power supply.

DoesNotExist

Isn’t the NCx500 a better performer than the NC500? I was browsing those today. Any commentary on the quality differences between PuriFi 400 and NCx500?
Ncx500 Is the evolution version of nc500. I personally doubt that a audible difference could be observed. It depends on you if the 250 GBP price difference is worth

Same for Purifi ET400 / Hypex NCx500. For me, both are more or less in the same league

Top Bottom