Search results

1. Robin L

What are we listening to right now..

Ebay had a copy of this edition of Bernstein's complete Mahler Symphonies in VG+ condition for only $20 plus shipping and tax, $30 total. Sound has been refurbished, a number of performances are definitive or close to it. The sound quality of symphonies 3 and 7 is remarkable by any standard.
  2. Robin L

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

Yamaha made a dual capstan, three-headed unit I owned, had easily adjustable bias. Metal tape could be recorded at very "hot" levels without overload. Made the best sounding cassettes of the eight or so cassette decks I had at the time.
  3. Robin L

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

There were a few 5.1 recordings that were different and interesting. Bob Dylan's self-produced "Love and Theft" comes to mind. However, a lot of pop recordings would stick instrumentalists behind you in a way that could make you paranoid. And those classical releases I had didn't really convince...
  4. Robin L

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

Still have my copy of the same. I've got a SACD player, but don't have 5.1 capability anymore, no room where the stereo's set up.
  5. Robin L

One of the virtues of LPs dubbed to cassette is how clicks and pops were reduced in volume and impact. Very helpful with 78 rpm transfers.
  6. Robin L

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

Whatdayouknow, sounds like my ALAC file from the "Steely Dan, the Definitive Collection" CD - only a trifle blurrier. Of course, the You Tube presentation is some sort of data deprived MP3. Not what I would call a convincing demonstration of the glories of analog replay.
  7. Robin L

What they did have was plenty of wow and flutter, overload on peak passages and rolled off high frequencies, along with all that hiss. Of course, if the cassette was used to dub an LP you would get all the problems you cited along with somewhat improved frequency response and distortion.
  8. Robin L

I was a recording engineer for about a decade in the 1990s, exclusively recording classical repertoire. It wasn't until very recently that I was satisfied with the sound of my playback gear, which now is only from digital sources. There's a clarity and focus I'm experiencing that I wasn't...
  9. Robin L

I was charge of the Classical cassette section of Tower records, Berkeley, in the mid-eighties. Very few classical cassettes were up to the standards of LPs at the time, and the quality of LPs in the mid-eighties was nothing to write home about. There were only a few runs of commercial cassettes...
  10. Robin L

That's why I still collect CDs.
  11. Robin L

Like I said, I don't stream. The primary reason I don't stream is because of that problem with dropouts. Don't know about that. Once 78s were no longer a "thing", support from the record companies evaporated. Cassettes were popular for a brief spell before CDs appeared, then they were not. As...
  12. Robin L

Streaming might not make sense to you, it doesn't work for me, but just about everyone I know uses streaming. My wife has an old IPod in the car with MP3 files that I occasionally add files to, but she mostly she streams video at home. If I want to hear music at home, I've got a pile of CDs that...
  13. Robin L

In the age of streaming, recording makes little sense unless one is recording performances of one's group or of a group for someone else. Otherwise, streaming makes more sense.
  14. Robin L

First dac. Help me to choose.

I like my Topping E30. It's been upgraded to E30 II. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-ii-dac-review.36028/ It sells for $149, has three inputs - USB, coax and optical Toslink. It measures better than anyone can hear. My Topping E30 has an easy-to-use...
  15. Robin L

Tascam made some excellent workhorse cassette decks, radio stations liked them. Yamaha, or so I was told, had the transports of Nak decks and their own electronics. This was good, as a Dolby B cassette recorded on a Nak would not play back correctly on any other brand of deck.
  16. Robin L

Probably more expensive, considering both inflation and smaller runs of the product. What's really needed is something simple, inexpensive and designed for transfer to digital media. A playback only device would make sense - design something to transfer tapes before they fall apart. Dolby B...
  17. Robin L

Please help me choose a turntable...

Like I already said, most perfect vs. most perfect.
  18. Robin L

Unpopular Opinions in Music

This is one way Bing Crosby turns out to be a very important innovator in musical history. He was the first performer to utilize the microphone in live performance. This resulted in a sound that emphasized his lower registers, much as Frank Sinatra's performances and recordings gave his voice...
  19. Robin L

Then it probably was a language issue. You play some old music?
  20. Robin L

Because they have an appreciative audience? Because they love the music?
Top Bottom