• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3E Audio 260-2-29A : TPA3255 / HA3588 CoilCraft / PFFB Fully differential.

brunes

What's the reason/decision to use the additional capacitors - I ordered 2 boards for additional capacitor but didn't install them!
I read this can help with bus pumping but also understood this wasn't a topic with these SMPS and these 3e boards (required when the amplifier operates in half bridge).

CamRector

What's the reason/decision to use the additional capacitors - I ordered 2 boards for additional capacitor but didn't install them!
I read this can help with bus pumping but also understood this wasn't a topic with these SMPS and these 3e boards (required when the amplifier operates in half bridge).
Bus pumping yes and it was a simple solution to connecting 2 amps to 1 power supply.
Lastly to add some bling.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

This has been discussed here if you want some details )

280€ is the high price because I go through Audiophonics, you can save 20% through Aliexpress but I wouldn't take the risk)
That being said, at €280 you have a nice amp which should last over time with a Sinad which would place it in the top 5 ASR
Going through 3e audio's website, their link to buy goes to their Aliexpress page. Seems like as long as you're using their store, it's from the manufacturer. But you'd still recommend audiophonics over the manufacturer?
I'm also in the US so I'm a bit concerned about the shipping, but if the only way to have a warranty is through a reseller I think that's probably worth the extra money.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Going through 3e audio's website, their link to buy goes to their Aliexpress page. Seems like as long as you're using their store, it's from the manufacturer. But you'd still recommend audiophonics over the manufacturer?
I'm also in the US so I'm a bit concerned about the shipping, but if the only way to have a warranty is through a reseller I think that's probably worth the extra money.

I bought my 3E Audio stereo modules from Audiophonics and my Mono from Ali )
Both are reliable. But as far as I know no more stock for the moment.....

CamRector

I’m in the US and did Ali. No issues at all.
Out of stock tho until beginning of April I’ve been told.

I bought my 3E Audio stereo modules from Audiophonics and my Mono from Ali )
Both are reliable. But as far as I know no more stock for the moment.....
To clarify, I guess what I'm asking is what is the risk you were mentioning about buying from Ali?
I also couldn't find anything on 3E's website about a warranty, but that's not to say there isn't a manufacturer's warranty.
I'm also aware they're currently out of stock.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
To clarify, I guess what I'm asking is what is the risk you were mentioning about buying from Ali?
I also couldn't find anything on 3E's website about a warranty, but that's not to say there isn't a manufacturer's warranty.

No particular risk but the Audiophonics guarantee conditions are better in all cases)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
For those in the EU having a local reseller responsible for warranty makes some sense. I'm not sure it makes much difference for those elsewhere in the world.

Reactions: MCH
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
For those who are looking for a nice PSU @ fair price which combines a LLC circuit + Active PFC + Soft start check this :

Last edited:

jkorten

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from aliexpress with no issues. Larger items take a while to ship (2 weeks) smaller take less. My 3Es have not failed yet.

TheWalkman

I’ve had several issues with ALIEXPRESS purchases - damaged products, misleading listings, items stolen from packages- and despite talking a very big game about free returns, refunds, etc. ALIEXPRESS is useless when it comes to supporting me as a buyer and getting a refund for me. They have always take the seller‘s side in a dispute and run me through a gauntlet.

Caveat emptor.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I’ve had several issues with ALIEXPRESS purchases - damaged products, misleading listings, items stolen from packages- and despite talking a very big game about free returns, refunds, etc. ALIEXPRESS is useless when it comes to supporting me as a buyer and getting a refund for me. They have always take the seller‘s side in a dispute and run me through a gauntlet.

Caveat emptor.

This is why I am using Paypal ) Never got any issues and easy to get refunds

TheWalkman

This is why I am using Paypal ) Never got any issues and easy to get refunds
Daniboun,

Agreed. However, ALIEXPRESS is big enough that Paypal apparently defers to Alipay for problem escalation (which has never worked in my favor) and it takes an escalation to get PayPal to intervene. They do there best to get you to throw in the towel and simply give up.

I‘ve done dozens of Aliexpress transactions over the past 10 years but just want people to know that when things go wrong, Aliexpress do a very poor job of backing up the customer.

Solveit

I‘ve done dozens of Aliexpress transactions over the past 10 years but just want people to know that when things go wrong, Aliexpress do a very poor job of backing up the customer.
I also had made over hundred transactions in Aliexpress and never had any problems to get refund.
Sure they ask for pictures, videos if it's broken but never had any problem.

dpuopolo

I'm running mine on a 48 volt 5 amp supply sitting open on it's Styrofoam pad. It's been running fine for 2 months and sounds amazing paired with the "Cheap" 4" Amazon Elac speakers now on sale for 142 dollars a pair.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
For those who follow my projects, here is the APX555 test of the 3E Audio Rev B Module

Noob101

Forum Donor
View attachment 311735

Hi amigos,

I'm finally done. I made some last minute changes, using some Japanese shielded cables I had in stock for the speaker connectors. I also had to opt for smaller binding posts given the size of the enclosure. I share again the list of components below.
For those just starting out; patience will be required) It is not always easy to drill the enclosure without suitable equipment... so bring the right tools)

Here is an amplifier which will stand up to The Topping PA5/RA3 with a budget which remains controlled and displays a good Sinad of 105DB (THD+N in 4Ω / F = 1kHz, Po =5W = 0.0007%). As for its reliability, I think taking into account the feedback, we should not be worried. )

Enclosure : Click here
--------------------------------
3E Audio Module : Click here
PSU (set@42V/6A) : Click here
Neutrik XLR (Panel Mount) : Click here
Binding Post : Click here
Power Switch : Click here
220V LED : Click here
Optional (AC filter) :
Click here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 311731
View attachment 311733
There is a small pcb with a small heatsink and 4 caps,....above the psu module and right of the 3e module.
What is that piece and is it in your parts list?

Trying to replicate your build :)

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
There is a small pcb with a small heatsink and 4 caps,....above the psu module and right of the 3e module.
What is that piece and is it in your parts list?

Trying to replicate your build :)

This is a DC blocker. This is purely optional ) Just adding it because I am living in an old house -)

Take also a look here

Last edited:
Top Bottom