• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tropical Cyclone Irma

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
4 miles from the center of the eye... And on the wrong side of it.
Is there a good side? LOL
Polk County issued a mandatory evac for modular and mobile home parks so everyone is getting out of my community.
Got a friend up the road with a (real brick) house, going to ride it out there.
He's up north so I don't know it there is any internet access there.
May not hear from me for a bit.
I'm gone----------------

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there a good side? LOL
Polk County issued a mandatory evac for modular and mobile home parks so everyone is getting out of my community.
He's up north so I don't know it there is any internet access there.
May not hear from me for a bit.
I'm gone----------------
Hoping you survive this well Sal... Keep us posted as soon as you can.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Cat 3 right now. Might end up further west, into the water, more in line with what I first thought five days ago.

Between staying home surfing the wave and running out of gas on the highway, I would ...

Jose is a cat 4, and about to hit already destroyed islands.

Mexico had several aftershocks after the big 8.1 one. Katia is there too.

If we were living in the age of the electric car, would it be better?

The news we read from various channels; I wonder sometimes their level of objective integrity...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Brick? In Florida?

I bet it's stucco...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

"All funds collected through the One America Appeal will go into a special account at the George H. W. Bush Presidential Library Foundation, a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization, to ensure 100 cents out of every dollar donated goes to hurricane victims. All monies collected will be distributed immediately to the designated recovery funds."

Seeing a Clinton lead off, I just had to find out who was going to launder the funds.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
7pm Saturday

upload_2017-9-9_19-18-45.png

upload_2017-9-9_19-21-19.png

Seems to me it is certainly expending a lot of its energy making clouds to the north...

upload_2017-9-9_19-23-38.png

upload_2017-9-9_19-28-10.png

upload_2017-9-9_19-32-15.png

NorthSky

Major Contributor
See, she's not making a sharp turn as previously predicted. And that was the reason why I asked; how can they predict a sharp 50° turn like they did few days ago...which was supposed to happen six hours ago (today @ 2:00 pm)? @ first she was supposed to go towards Miami and cruise along the East coast. Now it's towards Tampa on the West coast. But looking @ the satellite pictures from an hour ago she is stuck North of Cuba, and if she follows her straight trajectory line she'll be moving towards Houston, Texas.

Thursday's prediction @ 2 AM ↓
index.php

Thursday @ 5 PM ↓
index.php

Yesterday, Friday @ 5 AM ↓
index.php

Friday @ 5 PM ↓
index.php

• The latest prediction→ http://google.org/crisismap/2017-irma?hl=en&llbox=35.46,11.66,-40.38,-100.41&t=TERRAIN&layers=3,1340721332252,30,1,31,32,5,49,15,11,20,12,layer9,layer8
___

* Katia is gone, she's just a rainy storm now.
** Jose, Cat 4, is moving away into deserted waters...where she'll perish into a slow death...good.
But before she'll send some strong winds and rain (few inches) on some of the smaller islands from the vicinity. It's those small islands like Barbuda and St. Martin that lost everything.

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
See, she's not making a sharp turn as previously predicted.

It's just now getting to the turn point:

upload_2017-9-9_20-28-52.png

Last Wednesday prediction. They slid it a little west since then:

upload_2017-9-9_20-33-49.png

Friday morning:

upload_2017-9-9_20-37-58.png

Weather is hardly an exact science...

I would judge their location estimate from five days ago to be pretty darn good:

upload_2017-9-9_20-41-59.png

Miss by six hours and 50 miles?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
See, she's not making a sharp turn as previously predicted. And that was the reason why I asked; how can they predict a sharp 50° turn like they did few days ago...which was supposed to happen six hours ago (today @ 2:00 pm)? @ first she was supposed to go towards Miami and cruise along the East coast. Now it's towards Tampa on the West coast. But looking @ the satellite pictures from an hour ago she is stuck North of Cuba, and if she follows her straight trajectory line she'll be moving towards Houston, Texas.

No doubt your meteorology is better than theirs, but wind systems are complex and how various fronts move in and steer it is tough to predict. The thing that will make it turn is winds coming from the west which is how most of the winds in the U.S.A. operate. A hundred miles north or south, or a few hours change in when the front to the west moves in, is a big player in where the hurricane hits. When and where, use your crystal ball, but it is not going to keep heading west forever.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
No doubt your meteorology is better than theirs, but wind systems are complex and how various fronts move in and steer it is tough to predict. The thing that will make it turn is winds coming from the west which is how most of the winds in the U.S.A. operate. A hundred miles north or south, or a few hours change in when the front to the west moves in, is a big player in where the hurricane hits. When and where, use your crystal ball, but it is not going to keep heading west forever.

Alright, I got that. And, because Irma is so big and strong she's tougher to predict on when she'll precisely change direction.

I ain't no meteor... expert Don; I was simply asking a simple question.

My very bests to people of Cuba and Florida.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My local Electric Company, although now headquartered in Halifax, Nova Scotia after selling themselves out, has a nice compact area to deal with:

upload_2017-9-10_3-5-27.png

The above outages are probably just normal fails and accidents, since the weather is dead calm here, a little wind yesterday afternoon.

The x are me and the local power plant (coal and gas), the local lines are underground.

upload_2017-9-10_3-8-7.png

If the stacks blow over, all bets are off...

Cosmik

Major Contributor
A Florida sheriff has pleaded with citizens not to shoot at Hurricane Irma, saying they “won’t turn it around”.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office warned that shooting weapons at the most dangerous Atlantic hurricane to hit the US since records began “will have very dangerous side effects”.

As many as 53,000 people said they were interested in a Facebook event called “Shoot At Hurricane Irma”, and 25,000 people said they would participate on Saturday evening.

hurricane-guns.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...y-shoot-at-storm-facebook-event-a7938741.html

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/100901.shtml?

Highlights:

Irma has made its long-awaited turn

The eye should move across the Lower
Florida Keys in the next few hours. After that, the hurricane's
track almost parallel to the west coast of Florida makes it very
difficult to pinpoint exactly where Irma will cross the Florida Gulf
coast.

Given current trends, some additional strengthening could occur
during the next several hours. However, vertical wind shear is
increasing over Irma, and the shear is expected to become strong
within 24 h. This, combined with land interaction, should cause at
least a steady weakening from 12-36 h.

The new intensity forecast
is slightly lower than that of the previous advisory at those
times, but it still calls for Irma to be a major hurricane at its
closest approach to the Tampa Bay area.

The threat of
catastrophic storm surge flooding is highest along the southwest
coast of Florida, where 10 to 15 feet of inundation above ground
level is expected. This is a life-threatening situation.

Through Monday, Irma is expected to produce rainfall amounts of 8 to
15 inches with isolated amounts of 20 inches across the Florida
peninsula

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
upload_2017-9-10_5-28-35.png

http://www.fox13news.com/weather/tr...ower-rolling-blackouts-possible-as-irma-nears

"
TAMPA (FOX 13) - Tampa Electric Company’s top executive offered a stark view of Hurricane Irma’s possible impact on power customers Saturday.

President and CEO Gordon Gillette said up to 70 percent of its customers could lose power during the storm.

Gillette said rolling blackouts may be needed prior to the storm in order for supply to meet demand. Gillette said changes in the storm’s predicted path and strength have TECO anticipating between 300,000 and 500,000 customers losing power."

"Customers who plan to use generators in the event of a power outage need to plug appliances directly into the generator using an extension cord. Gillette said connecting your generator to your home’s circuits may cause power to flow to outside lines, which could endanger the lives of repair crews."

upload_2017-9-10_5-32-36.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Pasco County Sheriff's Office warned that shooting weapons at the most dangerous Atlantic hurricane to hit the US since records began “will have very dangerous side effects”.

Saturday Night has passed.

I didn't hear any gunshots.

Then again, I don't live in Pasco County.

Top Bottom