• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brits try real Texas BBQ for the first time!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the '90s, they had these cafeteria style (self-serve) BBQ-pits all over Dallas metro.
I am salivating; thinking about them.
I heard that they are now mobile BBQ trucks but without the old-style ambience.:(

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In the '90s, they had these cafeteria style (self-serve) BBQ-pits all over Dallas metro.
I remember going to visit a company in Austin 4 or 5 years ago. They bring in take out BBQ. I am thinking it is going to be just OK. Man, it was better than what we get in our BBQ restaurants! Really miss good BBQ....

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, in the early 90s, after my 18 month tdy in Dallas, we decided to do a road trip back to SoCal.
Two tourist, somewhere in the northern part of the TX Panhandle, we pull into some big ranch with a restaurant.
I've never been able replicate that taste of beef anywhere in the US.
Almost a subtle wild-ish or maybe game-ish taste. Probably unprocessed, fresh and cured/bled properly. I will probably never find out.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is definitely a reasonable apology for force feeding unsuspecting souls Popeye's...!

Being from the region I am fairly partial to Kansas City BBQ. But Memphis style is amazing as well, as is Texas BBQ. The only one (of the majors) that I don't get is Carolina.

Digby

Major Contributor
The British way to BBQ is just to burn everything to a crisp, it is really quite sad - if they do really appreciate the food, part of that is because about 80% of Brits just haven't a clue with the BBQ.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When MotoGp races in Texas all the riders talk about how they look forward to getting really great cheeseburgers. I've wondered if no one has cued them into good Texas BBQ. Although I have to say any good BBQ joint that has cheeseburgers usually has some of the best burgers too.

About Carolina sauce (mustard based), not my favorite, but I like it pretty good. The one I don't care for is the Alabama white sauce which is mayonnaise based with vinager and other spices.

dfuller

Major Contributor
After watching the above, and lacking any real BBQ joints around here, I had to get some baby back ribs to smoke tomorrow! :)
Get you some spare ribs my man. Babybacks are nothing compared to the good stuff.
Yes, watched Steven every week on PBS years ago. He had such an easy going personality. And great presentation of food and BBQ.
You may enjoy Aaron Franklin's series on PBS. BBQ With Franklin.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Get you some spare ribs my man. Babybacks are nothing compared to the good stuff.
My wife only likes Babybacks. So that is what I smoke when it comes to ribs. :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Oh, didn't know he has his TV show. Have watched his videos on youtube.
On top of that, there's always the Leroy and Lewis Patreon, and the related Chud's BBQ YouTube.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The British way to BBQ is just to burn everything to a crisp, it is really quite sad - if they do really appreciate the food, part of that is because about 80% of Brits just haven't a clue with the BBQ.
I haven't visited England in many years, but found the food just horrible (and weird). Had a couple of roommates from England over the years and they were quick converts especially when I BBQd.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I must say, the way they so appreciate this food speaks volume to their level of honesty and appreciation of what other cultures have to offer

OMG! I've just decided I'm going to Texas. That food absolutely looks incredible. :)

Top Bottom