Search results

1. C

A no-taking-sides, no judgment classification of the 4 types of Audiophile. "The audiophile bestiary".

This has been a (slightly) amusing thread. Those of us of a certain age remember when "hi fi" came along replacing 78 rpm acetate mono disks and 45 rpm single song disks. People didn't spend new-luxury-car prices or home down-payment prices for components, but those into hi fi eventually enjoyed...
  2. C

What are we listening to right now..

Linda Ronstadt, Budokan Hall, Tokyo, Japan 1979 (sadly only audio) Recording is fair, the concert is amazing. I am a fan but I've recently been extra impressed with the vocal and stylistic range that she exhibits in live concerts.
  3. C

nvidia shield - upsampling

So, a small additional contribution on upsampling. As I said above, I have 3 streaming devices: 1) 2017 version of Nvidia Shield TV; 2) 2020 Roku Ultra; 3) 2020 Amazon Fire TV 4K Stick. All three insist on upsampling 44.1 KHz CD quality audio to 48 KHz before passing it via HDMI to my AVR. I I...
  4. C

So, a correction is in order and perhaps an update. Correction is that Windows interferes with Foobar. Foobar, while playing 44.1KHz content says, "flac 44.1KHz." However, what ends up coming into the AVR via the HDMI cable is 48KHz. Once again the OS fiddles it. I didn't play with it long...
  5. C

"Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo" from Greatful Dead 08/05/1974 concert. Lists of "best concerts" have necessarily become lists of "best concert recordings." That's because some concert recordings didn't come off perhaps as well as the actual music presented to the audience. The...
  6. C

So, I have my solution. It may horrify many here. I spent a career building sophisticated electronic instruments to do state of the art electrical measurements from single nerve and muscle cells, so I'm not intimidated by building circuits. However, a raspberry pi combo at a cost close to...
  7. C

Wrongo. I assume that there can be well-done upsampling that is inaudible. I'm in my 70's and my hearing isn't like it used to be but the difference is very audible. The high end is muffled and I don't hear that far into the high end anymore. It's very clear and unacceptable. Of course the...
  8. C

The upsampling of 16/44.1 to 16/48, coming from my Nvidia Shield 2017, whether done internally in the Shield or by the transcoding done by my DLNA server, is noticebly worse than playing 16/44.1 straight into my DVR via a USB drive or via DLNA without transcoding. I have read (some time ago and...
  9. C

Sony SS-CS5 3-way Speaker Review

I thought differently about these speakers. I bought them as rear surround speakers for my AVR. I have a still quite nice pair of Speakerlab Model 3's which I customized at purchase with upgrades of the stock drivers. Using the built in room equalization system in my AVR to assist my manual...
  10. C

"Crazy"--Linda Ronstadt From "Hasten Down the Wind"
  11. C

Takes my breath away. Solace for the stay put blues.
  12. C

Best Guitarists Evah!!!

So many greats, so many genres, such a mix of entertaining, virtuoso playing and choice of tunes. My list would include Carlos Montoya and Keith Richards. B.B.King and Prince. Mark Knopfler and Jerry Garcia. Chet Atkins and Doc Watson. Jimi Hendrix and Andres Segovia. I really like Chuck Berry...
  13. C

I'm "staying put," reorganizing my DLNA server's music and listening to Ben Webster & Johnny Hodges "The Complete Sextet 1960 Jazz Cellar Session" I'm a fan of both Hodges and Webster (each was a star with Ellington) but hearing them together in this sextet, recorded in S.F.'s Jazz Cellar...
  14. C

I'm listening to The Grateful Dead's 1972-08-27 concert at "Old Renaissance Fairgrounds" in Veneta, Oregon, which was a benefit for the Springfield Creamery, still owned by members of Ken Kesey's family. This famous concert was the forerunner of the Oregon Country Fair. It was a 100+ degree day...
Top Bottom