Search results

1. B

Electrostatic speakers?

I own a pair. If I have to describe them subjectively, I would say they are "focused" and "narrow beam" both horizontally and vertically.
  2. B

Break from Tekton Thread

A Jackie Chan movie is usually a good break. I just discovered this one: "Shaolin Wooden Men", from 1976, when he was at his peak, martial art performance wise. This showcases what he was capable of, before switching to his later "acrobatic-comedy" styles.
  3. B

Zen and the art of listening!

Is there a typo in the poll? Should it be "Dalai Lama"? I personally find that meditation has helped me in about everything in my life. I keep comparing it to something like brushing your teeth: you just do it everyday, it becomes a hygiene habit and you reap the benefits. In music listening...
  4. B

Which headphone to get if you don't need any headphones

This is the review that made me purchase this headphone even though I do not need one. From Amir: "If you are not into headphones but want to know what the fuss is about for no money, buy this $9 headphone and put in my EQ. If you don't fall off your chair with excitement and get your pants wet...
  5. B

HDMI to USB for Mutichannel DAC OKTO PRO

This subject of "converting" HDMI to USB has been discussed in many threads (including in the Okto DAC 8 Pro thread). I am no technical expert, but I went through the same path (and own the Okto DAC 8 Pro), and hopefully this can save you some time. My understanding is that "converting" HDMI to...
  6. B

The Case Against OLED

Me too, still holding on to my 10+ years old Panasonic 46' Plasma. The intention is to replace it with an OLED. Besides the level of black, the viewing angle is also better than LCD. There is a new "Quantum OLED" from Samsung. Not to be confused with their "QLED". Apparently it's the first OLED...
  7. B

Totem Acoustics Rainmaker Speaker Review

Went to several audio shows, and they are definitely very "eye-catching". Their speakers also are very "ear-catching", they usually have a small footprints and are quite light weight, and yet produced a sound that "turn heads". Now I know why, thanks Amirm.
  8. B

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

FWIW: I too use the Meridian HD621 in combination with the Okto. I connect the MMHR Output to the Okto XLR Input using a regular Network Cat6 cable and this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076QK6TWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 I am using 6 channels only, without any...
  9. B

Classical Music for Audiophiles (remastered)

Yes indeed. I have that SACD. Their "re-performance" is a great concept. too bad it did not become more popular. Maybe because listening to "Glenn Gould" without all his humming feels like a ghost performance?
  10. B

Classical Music for Audiophiles (remastered)

All the old legendary recordings deserve a good and accurate (non-destructive) noise reduction. Can your program clean up Glen Gould's singing during his piano playing? :p
  11. B

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

Thank you so much mdsimon2 for sharing. Most excellent work. I have a rpi4 and the Okto DAC 8 Pro, but I have not been able to output multichannel yet. I am not a technical/linux person. Do you think I can use your okto config file and just change the input channels from 2 to 8 and the...
  12. B

What is a nice tea to drink?

Asking about what tea I drink is like asking about what music I listen: it depends on my mood, the time of day, the company, etc. Here is one great tea boutique for you in Canada, run by a team of tea-passionate. Lots of information on all the different types of tea ...
  13. B

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Sorry, yes, just realized Okto put it on the picture, on the display. Congratulations for receiving your PRO. Many are still waiting delivery.
  14. B

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

It seems like there are some confusions: the 8 channels product is called "dac8 PRO", the "PRO" label is clearly imprinted on the front of the unit, next to the "dac8" label. The stereo product is called "dac8 Stereo", the front label on the unit shows only "dac8". From what I can deduce from...
  15. B

Okto Dac8 Pro alternative?

Hi ARNiTECT: do you confirm that the Meridian HD621 is able to take an HDMI multi-channel audio as input, and output the digital audio to DACs downstream? If yes, are you using the HD621's RJ45 or StarLink output?
  16. B

Electrostatic speakers?

Ah, I am so glad to read so many of you, "hardened" scientists, in this forum, recognize that "fast" characteristics of ESL. So it seems like it's not just an illusion from the look of the transparent panels. I hear that "fast" sound even in box ESL, not just open dipole. Any agreement on how...
  17. B

Electrostatic speakers?

I own a pair of Valentina Active. When I was shopping for speakers, I was "sold" to the principles (or marketing?) of ESL. I listen mainly to classical music, and definitely (subjectively) heard the very clean clear ("fast"?) strings and pianos sound on ESL. I really wanted to buy a ML (the...
  18. B

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Thank you Kal! Is the MMHR output compatible with Meridian products only? Or it works with any AES/EBU input (once converted from RJ45), such as with Okto? Meridian documents mention only Meridian products on the receiving side.
  19. B

Which Software for RPi4 to stream multichannel DSD?

I intend to use Okto DAC8 PRO. My current setup is to listen to SACDs using a universal disc player, hdmi to a Yamaha AVR that is able to take DSD in. I am one of those early adopters :facepalm: of SACD and have accumulated around a thousand of them over the years. Half of them are multichannel...
Top Bottom