Search results

1. X

Any opinions on HD-25?

I have the HD-25 II and quite like them for just listening to music. Not using them professionally in any way. To compare with another product, I have the RS185 from Sennheiser also. They are very different categories obviously, but to compare the HD25s work well for me because the side of my...
  2. X

Poll: Where are you guys from?

Ecuador, South America
  3. X

2.1 Setup for Films & Music

I guess a lot of things might have been happening there, including harmonics or distortion from the sub itself within localization range, a tonal change based on being under a desk which aid your ears in locating, maybe other aspects such as vibrations from the furniture around you, including...
  4. X

Ah fair enough, I was thinking in terms of a surround signal source, and in scenarios such as streaming services where sometimes the stereo mix seems to be not ideal, or made for regular TV speakers. I wonder how reliable the stereo mix would be on popular streaming services, judging from...
  5. X

Unless your source is downmixing the LFE channel into stereo, which is usually not the case, you wouldn't be getting that channel. If it is being downmixed into stereo signal I believe you would face other issues such as reduced dynamic range. This doesn't bother most people, and possibly in...
  6. X

Sounds like a nice system. In your setup, are you losing the LFE channel from movies? Some people don't mind this, I was just wondering if you were aware and/or handling it somehow.
  7. X

Honestly I think two subs would work pretty well, to manage room modes and such. I may however start with one to first see how that works out. That at least gives me more motiviation to find the best position for one rather than jamming the quick fix first.
  8. X

The dual sub thought was to have a flatter frequency response rather than more output. Two quality small ones vs. one big. I'm moving to the UK so I was looking at BK subs. I've never tried dual subs, but I have in my house a pair of old Revox Symbol Bs, one is busted, and just to try I ran the...
  9. X

Yeah maybe I should be more open minded about the idea of no volume knob. I am leaning towards Denon though to start with, for convenience and budget also.
  10. X

What I'm wondering is how broad is the margin "around 80 hz", and if there is a paper or article citing studies I could read regarding how this number was determined. What leads me to this question is, for example, the video from Audioholics shared by @TimW which starts with the commentary on...
  11. X

Nice setup! Good to read about someone running 2.2. Regarding amp power, I wasn't too worried for AVR considering the Denon I had in mind is rated at about 105 watts (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) and it would have HPF from at least 80 Hz, maybe 100 Hz, easing the load. I could be...
  12. X

Hmm ok, another option to think about :) I know THX suggests 80 Hz crossover and there are a zillion threads about this, but just a 2019 recap, is it likely I can localize 100 Hz? 120? I guess I can just test, just that I'm in the process of moving countries and regrettably already sold my...
  13. X

Was tempted to just do room correction on subs, with 2x4HD after sub pre-out, but would really like to go up to 200 Hz at least in room correction. Would it be mad to have each sub below each bookshelf speaker and crossover at 200 Hz? I guess I am aware this would defeat some of the purpose of...
  14. X

Yes that would be a good option. I was also considering miniDSP nano that only has HDMI output (not analog) into used AVR HDMI that has the necessary pre-outs. That is, if the miniDSP can send two bass channels through rear channels via HDMI. I would then use the AVR as amp for fronts, and rear...
  15. X

Thank you both for providing some sanity
  16. X

Yeah I feared it might. Maybe best route is start with Denon and leave room for the inevitable upgradeitis.
  17. X

Or using a used good AVR that doesn't have room correction, and sending the second sub channel from miniDSP HDMI out through one of the unused surround channels, into the AVR, and through the pre-out of the AVR. However, that sounds pretty hacky.
  18. X

Whichever would measure best :D. To be honest, I was still in the theoretical stage under the assumption that there would be 4-channel pre-amp/stereo power amp combo that was under say $500 total.
  19. X

Admittedly, I haven't given much consideration into the audibility thresholds and such of measurements, just the overall tone and conclusions of reviews from this forum. I guess combining miniDSP + budget preamp + budget power amp could potentially measure worse than the single Denon AVR-X3500H...
Top Bottom