Search results

1. C

JD Labs PH01 Phono

Hmm interesting, to be honest I've never had a phono that had adjustable gain/load/capacitance. Perhaps I should just stick to the phono in my AVR (Denon 2800XH), seems like the ones in Denon AVRs aren't too bad, and save up for something nicer over time, looks like the cambridge audio were...
  2. C

JD Labs PH01 Phono

Hi guys, Considering getting one of these but can't find much info on it anywhere, but all their products seem to get pretty happy golfy panthers so I assume it would be good. Anyone tried or measured one of these? Thanks
  3. C

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

Does anyone know whether a 1600/1700/2600/2700 perform similarly or whether there are fundamental differences between the lower models and these (besides having fewer channels/features?)
  4. C

I guess that would depend how good a dac you are using outside the CCA. I am using a Marantz SR4003 AVR and I don't know it's measurements re the DAC but end up using it anyway since the analogue input causes clipping (well, at least the clipping light comes on for some reason). Me personally...
  5. C

Not entirely true. The CCA has a DAC in it and he/she can choose to either connect the CCA to the AVR using the optical cable (at which point it used the DAC in the AVR) or using analogue cable (3.5mm to RCA) at which point it is using the DAC in the CCA. I ended up using optical from the CCA...
  6. C

ARX RS-1 XLR AB Switcher Review

I'm pretty sure what you're trying to do can be achieved by simply using RCA splitter cable and just switch off the powered monitors and or the headphone amp depending on what you want to use. EDIT: oops, I said RCA, but meant XLR if it is balanced.
  7. C

Choosing between Denon X8500H, X4700H and X3700H AVRs

I would love to see how the lower models, or even the slimline Marantz models perform/compare. I am seriously considering one instead of getting a integrated stereo amp for stereo listening but with the option for surround speakers for my PC.
  8. C

Pro-ject Pre Box DS2 DAC & Pre-amp Review

Hahaha. What I meant was in its "ranking", in that the DAC was in the top tiers and the phono was worse than an Art DJ Pre II or the Klipsch Powergate...
  9. C

Pro-ject Pre Box DS2 DAC & Pre-amp Review

I am a little disappointed in the phono stage given that I've alsways thought of Pro-Ject as a turntable company manufacturer. Kinda ironic that the DAC would outperform the phono. (edit: i mean relatively outperform... in that the DAC is upper percentile compared to competitors and the phono is...
  10. C

Denon AVR-X3500H AVR Review

(EDIT): That's a voltage ratio, so I assume you meant I would get 0.1V and not -0.1V, or in other words -20dB output is 0.1V if 0dB is 1V. If 0dB is 2V then -20dB is 0.2V? Thanks! Side question... does 0 equate to 80? I thought 0 equated to 100 (i.e. max volume before internal clipping). I...
  11. C

Thanks, I reread Amir's note and I understand it better now. This won't for example affect a 2.0 source coming from HDMI into the AVR if you have 7 speakers connected. Or to be more specific if I have a source device (e.g. nvidia shield or even TV's ARC) going to the AVR playing a 2 channel...
  12. C

To a layperson... under which use case would the problem occur? Why would it affect 2 channel listening for example and not when using 5 or more?
  13. C

Is there a way of knowing the voltage of the pre-outs (I mean aside from using a voltmeter)? As in -20db = 1.2V or something akin to that?
  14. C

ARX RS-1 XLR AB Switcher Review

Looks nice. Does anyone have any recommendations for an automatic one though? Again not laziness but needs to be "rest-of-the-family" proof. (edit: RCA input output to be specific).
  15. C

Is it just me or am I missing something in saying that these specific AVRs look like a really good alternative to most integrated or power amp combos? Measurements aren't super high tier, but for the price they seem to outperform (or should that be outmeasure) comparative integrated amps and...
  16. C

Fiio A5 Portable Headphone Amp Review

Ah, thannk you for clarifying, it does not. Once plugged in via USD then the volume controls on the device just control the windows volume. You can install the drivers but all they do is adjust the gain etc. in windows, so I just did the same using equaliser APO.
  17. C

New paper on high resolution audio perception without music

I should have been more specific, I meant this forum is doing the peer review :) i.e. my comment was meant to be a compliment to the forum, not an insult to any who may or may not have reviewed the paper. I have edited my comment to be a bit more explanatory.
  18. C

I was referring to my Sound Blaster E3 which has a built in DAC for use from a PC through USB.
  19. C

New paper on high resolution audio perception without music

Peer review at its best :) EDIT: By that I mean that this forum is the peer review, not a comment about the paper itself, i.e. I was complementing the forumites who have been reading and commenting on the paper.
  20. C

I'd love to see how this compares to my Sound Blaster E3 (which I'd send to @amirm but I'm about a continent or two away). E3 is more featured (bluetooth, dac, microphone) but would love to compare performance wise (noise/distortion/repsonse etc.) Power wise the E3 is "only" 2Vrms but I just...
Top Bottom