Search results

1. Murray A

Rogers LS3/5a (BBC) Speaker Review

After 20 years of service the white belly effect crept up on me. The peaking in the ~1kHz region became distracting during comparison with modern speakers.... The perceived influence of subjective air and detail became obvious compaired to modern speakers that have overall flatter response...
  2. Murray A

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

I would love to comment on this issue but as an old guy, the threat of litigation is something that could wipe out my retirement fund...!
  3. Murray A

Audio Precision APx516B Review

As an APX555 owner I'm curious about the performance of the "B" version. Amir, is your 555 a "B"version? What version of software are you running? Being retired from the industry for the past few years, I'm seeing that equipment technical performance appears to be loosing relevence.
  4. Murray A

PrimaLuna Dialogue Seven Tube Amp Review

Almost every device pictured here, I've seen, evaluated and pondered the development of a product to emulate it in the current marketplace. In my not so humble opinion, audio technology has passed by this stuff big time!! The casual observer, myself included, experienced a warm feeling for a few...
  5. Murray A

A 2006 photo of a Rogers 15 ohm LS3/5A internals. Manufactured March 1984. Both units sported the white belly and a pronounced peak in the 1K region when this pic was taken 22 years later, that wasn't noticeable when they were new.
  6. Murray A

As a very early convert to the LS3/5A speaker I was immediately drawn to the thorough measurements utilizing the Klippel system. In the late 70's through early 80's the buzz within the industry at the time, was very favorable to the sonic characteristics of this dimunative monitor. Group...
  7. Murray A

No, thats a nubie's introduction into the audiophile fantasy world.... TubesR4 Nubes
  8. Murray A

After trolling through 12 pages of comments in this thread, and many other threads throughout ASR's relentless other threads it appears to me that there is no reliable consensus of opinion for any products vying for supremacy! As someone having deep involvement in the high end scene for more...
  9. Murray A

Sonic Frontiers SFS-80 Review (Vintage Tube Amplifier)

Check out the Paul McGowan interview of Bascom King on You Tube. The revelation appears at about 8:35 in.
  10. Murray A

8 x 6LQ6. The performance of the Mac could be world class with DC on the filaments in the driver stage, lowering of the power transformers high leakage current into the signal ground and a mod to fully balance the input stage. The rather poor SNR is actually the amplfier's leakage current...
  11. Murray A

For grins, here is the performance of the Mac MC3500 at 10 watts with some signal averaging... and at 350 watts, no averaging.
  12. Murray A

This AP System One + DSP was used during development of the SFS-80. It was later relegated to final test position for tube selection and final adjustment of all Sonic power amps, after purchase of an AP System Two.
  13. Murray A

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

Did this involve use of Xantrex power supplies to power downhole sensors over transformer coupled isolated connextions?
  14. Murray A

Paul says you must lift speaker cables of the floor for better sound quality...

Please don't imply that I was endorsing Paul's Videos in any way. My comment was to point out that consumers of audio gear shoud educate themselves about how audio technology really works. ASR is a resonable source of information, but the SNR suffers due to the "pile on" effect of some members...
  15. Murray A

Amplifier Bakeoff: Purifi Eval1, McIntosh MA252 & Benchmark AHB2

The objective measurements expressed here and opinions of, including flawed listening tests, have not revealed anything new. Most of this was well understood at least 30 years ago. The basic issue remains of human perception within dubious controlled listening tests. There is a need to get back...
  16. Murray A

Do tubes do anything well in circuits?

At owners request!
  17. Murray A

I'd like to see one of these amplifiers driving a vibration exciter at full power 24 hours a day o_O A 60 ohm negative temperature coefficient thermistor, in series with the two series connected input caps. Prevents hammering of the power transformer upon turn on.
  18. Murray A

The double circuit breaker incorporates two coils for sensing current in the output tube screen and cathode circuits. Will quickly shut down the amplifier if an output tube fails. Industrial apps: vibration exciters, variable ac source to drive syncro/gyro devices for aircraft/missle guidance...
  19. Murray A

The amp has a handy bias meter and switching to measure the individual output tubes. The amp is very stable and rarely requires adjusment. Unlike most power amplifiers of the period, these amps could and were run at full rated output continuously in industrial applications.
  20. Murray A

Here's the patent for the MC-3500. The best descripton of circuit operation I've seen.
Top Bottom