Search results

1. gene_stl

Aerophobia!

How about 0.5 mg of alprazolam (Xanax) 15 minutes before departure and 0.25 mg every four or five hours if its an all day flight. I have a niece who is a physician and she hates flying even though her dad and uncle were both private pilots. She used to do that but doesn't need to any more...
  2. gene_stl

Celebrity RIP Thread

My favorite part of PDQ Bach is unsuspectingly listening to it on the radio thinking it is some Baroque or earlier composer and then it suddenly doing something that makes me guffaw out loud.
  3. gene_stl

Celebrity RIP Thread

Peter Schickele, aka PDQ Bach. RIP https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/17/arts/music/peter-schickele-dead.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Ok0.GUEt.y9L2Y-r9agx4&smid=url-share&fbclid=IwAR32sMF11J1bvVcp1EWhWLUOJLiCC7XaJ2_wXoS1PdsD_9ktSSTpLtc_wuQ
  4. gene_stl

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

@dualazmak performs more maintenance on his system than most of us and if he used relays for protection I am sure he would maintain their contacts. Woofers don't get blown as easily as midranges and tweeters and are rebuildable too. There are people that are rebuilding Yammie Be drivers but...
  5. gene_stl

misprinted compact discs

I couldn't stand them back in the day either. Semuta music.
  6. gene_stl

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

Protecting capacitors are there, to prevent an amplifier output device failure, from blowing the unobtanium (Be)midrange and tweeters. ( by applying a power supply rail voltage at high current availability) When properly selected which @dualazmak has done they are unlikely to be audible...
  7. gene_stl

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

I recently attempted to assist someone in the task of getting a pair of Infinity Kappas running. These were a famous and probably good sounding if properly driven large floor stander from the eighties I think. He sent me the crossover circuit diagram and they were a five way system. They...
  8. gene_stl

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

Power Amplifiers don't have need to improve very much , any more. If you have a Benchmark or a Neurochrome you are pretty well set. There isn't much point to "improvement".
  9. gene_stl

FedEx Damaged My Sub in Transit and Denied My Claim

File a claim against them in your local small claims court. Especially if you have the box and photos to show as evidence.
  10. gene_stl

The best dome tweeter design on the earth! (what would you change?!)

I don't think the double suspension makes it more linear. It probably makes it less linear. But it prevents it from gyrating. (theoretically) But it can't do anything to prevent dome breakup. @dfuller I like your signature lines.
  11. gene_stl

The best dome tweeter design on the earth! (what would you change?!)

Everybody knows that the best dome tweeters on earth are the Yamaha Beryllium domes. and perhaps some of their clones. :):rolleyes: The ATC DOES look very good. I like that it is about a three inch (which is really a midrange not a tweeter). I am sure the double suspension doesn't hurt...
  12. gene_stl

My Neurochrome Modulus-686 Build

I think it is very unfair to call raising prices dishonest. All audio gear is a luxury item. Tom has to make a living and pay his bills like all of us do. He also has to have circuit boards made and populated with parts he has to purchase. He has an amp that has a unique position and I am...
  13. gene_stl

Dutch&Dutch are looking for Ears

I think if your mini DSP or whatever has multiple presets, it might be interesting to have one that corrected your hearing loss. Probably only useful for solo listening. I think I am going to try that myself. They are only looking for 8c owners.
  14. gene_stl

Tube Preamp for Benchmark AHB2 or Class D/SS Poweramp?

It's a fairly dumb thing to do, but one thing no one has mentioned yet. Tube preamps like to drive tube power amps because they have high input impedance. Solid state power amps have much lower input impedance than tube power amps. And tube preamps have higher output impedance than solid...
  15. gene_stl

counterfeit spikkers destroyed in FL

never even heard of L - Acoustics. When people used to import Nikon cameras from Japan the legal owner of the trade mark Ehrenreich Photo Optical Industries would make customs remove the Nikon name. They didn't destroy the camera usually. Eventually they quit that shit and also Nikon got rid of...
  16. gene_stl

counterfeit spikkers destroyed in FL

https://www.wfla.com/news/hillsborough-county/high-end-audio-speakers-found-at-tampa-company-destroyed-after-judge-rules-they-are-counterfeits-made-in-china/
  17. gene_stl

Vintage JBL 44 Lancer with a Consonance A100II solid state amp

You won't hurt those speakers. Very good speakers.
  18. gene_stl

Broke my right wrist, the good arm. Any ideas how long this breakage goes on?

There are numerous treatment options for fractures like this. Usually when it is "intraarticular" they operate. They perform an "open reduction" and "internal fixation" (ORIF) as Sal and others showed us.
  19. gene_stl

Broke my right wrist, the good arm. Any ideas how long this breakage goes on?

Bone pain is one of the worst there is. Not giving you at least some Tramadol is malpractice. Of course suing a national health system is unlikely to succeed. But that is a travesty. My wife just had some oral surgery and they did the same thing. Wouldn't prescribe anything a little more...
Top Bottom