Search results

1. GrimSurfer

Why is audio objectivism so frequently focused on all the wrong things?

Now I'm out of here for good, @Thomas savage, since you've made it abundantly clear that you place sarcasm ahead of serious audio discussion. @amirm: You need a new mod, mate. One that can administer even handedly and without bias. Otherwise, the technical discussions here will continue to...
  2. GrimSurfer

Because people like you enjoy baiting. You know enough to have an objective and facts based discussion but your ego gets in the way. You use your time to add noise and distortion to the audio domain. You talk of two posts, like everything you've ever said on ASR is contained in this thread...
  3. GrimSurfer

I am speaking seriously. You raised some simple questions. I replied in kind. You appear to know what constitutes room noise. It's almost always very low frequency stuff, unless you live in a bus station. So you're first post wasn't simple or innocent, just misleading to anyone who doesn't...
  4. GrimSurfer

Oh, you mean on my dumb Radio Shack noise meter that averages all frequencies between 20-20 kHz? Or do you mean the records I stopped listening to in the early 80s? You know the era... when Kiss left the stage.
  5. GrimSurfer

Yet another uninformed view. Go here: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-spl.htm Calculate what SINAD would be required by three devices (amp, preamp, DAC) to sum to -96 dB. It's -101 SINAD per device. But wait, there's more... Over 102 dB resolution can be achieved by dithering. Now...
  6. GrimSurfer

Review and Measurements of NAD T758 V3 AVR

Please explain how DIRAC actually removes noise and distortion from the signal path. (It doesn't, BTW.) Whenever I see outrageous statements questioning the value of measurements that have been competently obtained, it is frequently followed by a rationalization of a low price point. n=1? :p
  7. GrimSurfer

Understanding isn't furthered by cramming or Cliff notes. The shallowness it creates simply gives rise to endless questioning and backbiting on missed fundamentals. See @Blumlein 88's earlier post (snippet below).
  8. GrimSurfer

Amir Buys a New Audio Precision Analyzer (APx555)!!!

Have you considered that he's testing against the manufacturer's specification, since 1 kHz measurements are often quoted on the spec sheet? Are you aware that 1 kHz corresponds to the point where human hearing acuity crosses the 0 dB point? I would like to see more data, but there are good...
  9. GrimSurfer

ASR == Anti-Science Review

The discussion moved here :rolleyes: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-is-audio-objectivism-so-frequently-focused-on-all-the-wrong-things.9588/
  10. GrimSurfer

Yamaha A-1 Vintage Amplifier Review

The specs suggest low noise (-98 dB) but high distortion (-63 dB) but I haven't seen any independent measurements to confirm any of this.
  11. GrimSurfer

Glad to hear that you're playing the long game, @amirm. Burning bridges never pays in the long run and many of us here wouldn't wish to see you put yourself (or others) in jeopardy for something as insignificant as this.
  12. GrimSurfer

There is also training value in this. If all reasonable testing concludes that a DAC and amp are transparent to the limit of human hearing, then you can be confident that over time your ear will adjust... and you'll develop an appreciation for objectively better sound. This is the inverse of...
  13. GrimSurfer

I didn't say that it wouldn't lead to empirical results. I only said it would be subjective, influenced by many variables that make each response uniquely accurate. Clustering these reduces ambiguity but the results are not objective. They are just an averaged result of a variety of...
  14. GrimSurfer

First of all, a DBT can only result in subjective results. This is because human sensory responses are predominantly subjective. They are definitely not calibrated. They are inconsistent. Their accuracy varies. Even after listener training. Second, the methodology behind a DBT seeks only...
  15. GrimSurfer

Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather stick with the factory specs for the actual model than use measurements for another model. :cool: I do, however, agree that an independent test of the actual model would be best. TBH, I don't have high hopes for any consumer amps, integrated in this price...
  16. GrimSurfer

But I used Yamaha specs from my calculations for the A-S800. So do you have reason to believe that Yamaha's specs are incorrect?
  17. GrimSurfer

Not to answer for Amir but measurement at 1 kHz has become accepted practice. It is, therefore, likely that manufacturers would do anything they can to minimize THD+N at this frequency. This might be seen as "gaming the system" but it has a practical dimension because 1 kHz is where human...
Top Bottom