Search results

1. J

Linkwitz LX521.4 - new build and impressions

On the Linkwitz Lab web page, Siegfried recommended a minimum room of 240 sq. ft. with a minimum ceiling height of 8 ft. Your room size exceeds both of these handily. I run a set of LX521 baffles with the Orion bass modules in a 237.5 sq ft. room with a 7.67 ft. ceiling height and I have no...
  2. J

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

Thanks for your response. Speakers are not a concern. I have a design heavily based on the Linkwitz LX521. I am looking for an amp to replace an old Adcom GFA535 to drive the tweeters. The remainder of the system is driven by Hypex nCore modules. I feel that the Topping PA5 ii would be...
  3. J

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

The thread has gone completely off topic. I would be interested in seeing if there is any indication that reliability has improved over the PA5 to this point in time. Therefore, any reports on problems with the PA5 ii would be useful for those of us who might be considering purchasing this amp.
  4. J

Do you care about speaker looks / appearance?

Voted #5. I have the LX521. Function over form.
  5. J

Norah Jones – Visions – first single – Running. Will it be a reference like "Come Away With Me"? (Stereo vs Dolby Atmos)

"Come Away With Me"........ There is a reason I nicknamed her "Nasal Norah" after that CD.
  6. J

Foobar setup

Can you post the links for the plug ins for this VU meters?
  7. J

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

I have always totally agreed with soundwave76 's first 2 statements. Bought the Zero:2 set from Amazon US based on Amir's review. Applied the 2 band EQ using MathAudio EQ in Foobar2000 along with using the Goodhertz CanOpener crossfeed VST (64 bit Foobar...). The performance of these IEMs is...
  8. J

The once a year POWER CABLE discussion!

That would be me. Have your credit card ready.
  9. J

if that is anyone's domestic case, a couple of wood screws through the baffle base into the woofer bridge would do the trick after you determine the amount of bafle toe in needed to optimize performance for a given room setup.
  10. J

20 years ago, Linkwitz had not even conceived of the LX521. His main speaker design at that time was the Orion. The plans for the first version of the LX521 were released in October 2012. The "weird front baffle" was an integral part of the design and necessary to achieve full range dipole...
  11. J

Why audio equipment affects music genre preference?

One thing I have discovered over the years is that "good gear" exposes bad recordings. In the many cases, "good gear" can make really bad recordings virtually unlistenable.
  12. J

USB to SPDIF?

The D10s will give you both coax AND optical SPDIF output. As a bonus you also get a really nice performing DAC with RCA output jacks. You could use this to feed a headphone amp or any other equipment with analog input to add additional versatility to your system.
  13. J

Is it normal to have multiple amps in this hobby?

I think it all depends on how your total system is configured. My 3 way active Linkwitz stereo speaker setup require 8 channels of amplification that include 4 channels for the dipole bass sections. An Adcom GFA-555 drive two passive subwoofers for my HT setup that also use the Linkwitz...
  14. J

Speakers from last century that you love

Dahlquist DQ10, modified to DSQ10a specs, (mirror imaged), added a DQ1w subwoofer at some point. These lasted until I met Siegfried Linkwitz in 2002.
  15. J

Why does so much High End audio not use balanced connections?

I would ask how you know, but I expect it is a horror story....... I also find that TOSlink 24/88.2 or 24/96 also works just fine for me with my mini computer server running Foobar
  16. J

Foobar 2000 V2.0 and Goodhertz Can Opener crossfeed VST

So to answer my own question above, I did upgrade my Foobar player setup to the 64 bit Foobar 2000 V2.0. I downloaded the latest version of the SACD input plugin from SourceForge which works for 64 bit applications. This was done to add SACD support to the base Foobar 2000 player. I also use...
  17. J

Foobar 2000 V2.0 and Goodhertz Can Opener crossfeed VST

I am looking to upgrade from Foobar 1,6,xx to the Foobar 2000 2.0 64 bit player as my computer streamer for both home and travel use. I am interested in using the Goodhertz Can Opener plug in VST with my Sennheiser HD6XX cans for crossfeed. Does anyone have any experience using the Can...
  18. J

Minidsp Flex Eight!

The miniDSP units in my system do crossover and speaker EQ for the LXmini. I have had no problem with gain structure between the miniDSP and the Hypex amp modules. I am not familiar with the SparkFun units.
  19. J

Minidsp Flex Eight!

This component combination works really well. I run the analog outputs from a miniDSP 2x4HD to a multichannel NC252MP amp from Nord for my Linkwitz LXmini system. I can see no reason why the Flex 8 would work any differently as far as RCA to XLR cables are concerned. What you will need are...
Top Bottom