Search results

1. M

Netflix upping sound quality

Great news. If this trend continues I can finally cancel my DVD.com subscription. :-)
  2. M

Do I need more than a 1 watt speaker amplifier?

@Blumlein 88 I tried the pink noise test, and I could barely turn it up to 75 dB (with two speakers) before the noise was very uncomfortable. Comparing that to the voltage test, it was the same 3.3V zone. When I play music in that zone it sounds reasonably loud. If I try to go a little louder...
  3. M

@HammerSandwich I tried Pano's Voltage Test, and my results were 3.3V. If I'm reading the post correctly that means I would need 10.89 watts RMS? I wasn't sure if that number was total or per channel. Does that imply that my 8 watts per channel would be enough? I did notice that the 4V area (16...
  4. M

Thanks Blumlein, I'll run the test this evening and report back.
  5. M

Thanks Ray, this is very enlightening! Based on the information everyone has provided, it sounds like I need to upgrade to 100W/ch since my peaks are probably as high as 105 dB at 1 meter. Is there a standard issue AudioScienceReview speaker amp? It seems like there's a general consensus in the...
  6. M

That's very helpful, thanks everyone! Andreas and Ray, when I measure with my sound meter 1m away and play a few tracks at a louder than normal volume, I see a max of 83.6 dB. Does that mean I do have enough headroom?
  7. M

In my den I typically listen to the speakers at a volume of around 65 to 75 decibels on my couch about 2 meters from the speakers. I rarely, if ever, hit 80 or 85 decibels. Since my KEF LS50s have a sensitivity of 85 dB/W/m, and my listening volume is always below 79 dB at 2 meters, would I gain...
  8. M

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

Seeing some of these stories, I can't believe my luck. A few months ago, I unsubscribed from all Massdrop emails. Fast forward to now, and I requested the drop but completely forgot about my email settings. For some reason, without receiving an email, I decided to check the page for news on...
  9. M

Is THD+N audible for sensitive IEMs at quiet volumes?

Thanks @flipflop. Is the linearity graph the best one to look at for distortion levels?
  10. M

That's very helpful, thanks! On most gear I can't hear the noise floor, even with the IE 800S. One recent exception was the WHAMMY headphone amp which I built recently. The noise floor is inaudible with my Sennheiser HD 660S but very audible with the IE 800S.
  11. M

Looking at the THD+N graphs which chart THD+N percentage vs power, it seems like distortion is quite high at low volumes. Is that accurate? I often listen with the Sennheiser IE 800S, and it has a sensitivity of 125 dB SPL/V and impedance of 16 ohms. To try and estimate the mW at my typical...
  12. M

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

It would be interesting to see measurements of something like the Sabrent USB audio interface, which retails for $7.50 and is only slightly larger than a postage stamp: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1 I'm currently traveling with one...
Top Bottom