Search results

1. tw99

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

That's a bold claim to make on ASR.
  2. tw99

Streamer connection on Genelec 8361

SHD doesn't do AES out though.
  3. tw99

Gaia Isolation anything in this?

Unnecessary, it's a complete non issue, talked up by people who want to sell you expensive stuff.
  4. tw99

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Have you reset it to factory settings ? You can do that through the Device Console software.
  5. tw99

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

Are you sure the cable you're using from the SHD Studio to the speakers, and then between the speakers are both proper 110ohm AES cables, rather than 75ohm normal XLRs ? I understand that the D&Ds are a bit picky about cables, especially as the SHD can only output at 96Khz and the D&Ds work at...
  6. tw99

Extreme Snake Oil

You only need two pairs for 100Mb/s ethernet, and it looks like the box only connects two pairs. The connected equipment will work that out, and autonegotiate to 100. It does seem to be part of audiophile folklore that 100Mb/s is "better", quite a few of the audiophile switches (I hate even...
  7. tw99

Extreme Snake Oil

You only need two pairs for 100Mb/s ethernet, and it looks like the box only connects two pairs.
  8. tw99

DIY Streamer based on Raspberry Pi 5

In my opinion, all that Ian Canada stuff, while undoubtably clever, is trying to solve problems that don't really exist. Async USB out from a PI4 or 5 into a well engineered DAC will be technically perfect, why worry about anything else ?
  9. tw99

Logitech Media Server etc...

Agreed. Overall I don't think LMS users can complain too much about how this has been handled by Logitech. Most companies would just have stopped development 10 years ago, archived the sources, shut down the cloud service, put all the staff onto something else and pretty much instantly...
  10. tw99

Power cables to connect ...

In what way is it "better" ? More expensive ? At any rate, use any power cord you like, it doesn't make a difference.
  11. tw99

Guitar industry challenges high-end audio for most absurd snake oil sales pitch

Thanks for the pointer, those videos were interesting.
  12. tw99

do linux or mac play music better than windows?

Totally agree with you. Sadly there are still many sites out there promoting imagined differences such as the "organic, natural sound" of Apple compared to "brittle, overly transparent" Windows, or whatever.
  13. tw99

Minidsp SHD ; Initial Impressions; set up etc

Personally I wouldn't want to rely on the SHD's embedded Volumio as a full-featured streaming solution. I do use it, but just as a Logitech Media Server player using the Squeezelite plugin. Even this is broken in the upgrade to Volumio 3, so I'm still running the previous version. MiniDSP...
  14. tw99

Soffit-mounting advantages?

Surely removing SBIR effects from the front wall is also a major consideration ?
  15. tw99

Rogers LS3/5a (BBC) Speaker Review

True enough, they mostly rely on witchcraft, received folklore, Youtube charlatans and excessive gullibility towards manufacturers' marketing messages. Did I miss anything ?
  16. tw99

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

There's another thread somewhere on here where this behaviour is discussed. I think the Wiim Pro doesn't reclock the optical input in any way, so eventually the clock drift between the Wiim and the source causes a Fifo to fill up or underrun, and you get what you hear.
  17. tw99

Kef LS60 wireless review by ErinsAudioCorner

If I hadn't just scored a set of used 8Cs, I'm pretty sure I'd have bought a pair of LS60s when the price was reduced. "Lifestyle" does seem to be a veiled insult, but why should good sound have to be hard to access ? People are too proud of their over-complex "stacks" "in this hobby"
  18. tw99

Extreme Snake Oil

I've seen a few of these come up for sale in the classifieds section of a UK HiFi forum (that tends to the very subjective). Or maybe it's the same one going round and round... Always advertised in glowing terms by the seller about the huge differences it made. Makes you wonder why they're...
  19. tw99

VMV D2R Stereo DAC Review

Could be a ground loop.
Top Bottom