Search results

1. Bald1

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

If this has already been cited i apologize as i would have missed it. That said it was only published 10 or so hours ago. Seems MoFi {Mobile Fidelity) has been lying about pressing vinyl direct from tape masters. How a Phoenix record store owner set the audiophile world on fire The article's...
  2. Bald1

Uncoloured phono cartridges

Honestly no. Haven't looked in a long time at what Denon has available. I'm a septuagenarian with health issues which has reduced the vinyl playing significantly in the better part of the last decade. When I can I do enjoy my vinyl though. My carts are in very good shape FWIW too. What I'm...
  3. Bald1

Uncoloured phono cartridges

Interesting. I'm fond of both my Denon DL-304 and DL-103D cartridges. I use a DIY Cinemag CMQEE-3440A StepUp transformer with my George Merrill modified The AR Turntable with Sumiko Premier MMT tonearm. Started with a DL-301 back in 1983 and have preferred Denon MCs ever since although I'll...
  4. Bald1

Amp recommendation for Maggie 3.7i, opinions welcomed

I enjoy using a pair of Odyssey Audio Stratos SE+ monoblocks with my modified Magneplanar MGIIIa's. They are augmented with a Parasound HCA1200 driving a custom 15" sub. The system really 'sings" for me. :D
  5. Bald1

Bang-for-buck amplifier for HD650

I've been using and loving a Garage1217 Project Polaris v1.1 SS headphone amp w/"Mellow" bandwidth option with my Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser HD580 (w/HD650 drivers, HD600 grills), and Philips SHP9500 w/2mm felt mod. This was designed by our own solderdude. :)
  6. Bald1

... --- ...
  7. Bald1

Vintage Receivers

Still running a Nakamichi TA-3A Stasis receiver in the master bedroom. :)
  8. Bald1

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

As have I. Great little DAC. :D
  9. Bald1

Show Us Your Headphone Stand

Philips SHP9500 on a BlueLongue Pesto headphone stand Sennheiser HD580 (modded with HD650 drivers, HD600 grills) on a walnut grained Omega style acrylic headphone stand Sennheiser HD600 also on a walnut grained Omega style acrylic headphone stand
  10. Bald1

Any impact on sound by zip-tying speaker cable together

Frantz, you beat me to it. I was going to answer that cable tying would only show improvement if placed on risers! lolololololololololololololololol
  11. Bald1

Carver TFM-xx Amplifiers

This site gives some good info and history: http://www.amstereo.org/
  12. Bald1

Carver TFM-xx Amplifiers

Never have owned a Carver amp. But like Digital Mastering System I love and still use my TX-11a tuner. Sadly the one local station that broadcast AM-Stereo decided when their equipment failed to stay with plain mono. :( The AM Stereo was remarkable on this tuner. I also own a Phase Linear...
  13. Bald1

I Dream of Maggies

T_C, Curious. What lead time did they quote you for your LRS order?
  14. Bald1

I Dream of Maggies

At my age (I'm a septuagenarian) I could care which. LOL Sorry to the Op as his thread has taken a truly unusual turn. :D
  15. Bald1

I Dream of Maggies

Red headed gals are renowned for their heightened libido. :D
  16. Bald1

A Budget DIY Rack for little DAC's, AMP's etc.

A much bigger scale rack than the OP's..... I've had this DIY flexi-rack now for almost 2 decades. First picture is from when it was first built. And yes, rubber and metal washers on both sides of all the adjustment nuts on the threaded rods. The outboard sides of the dual rack have two...
  17. Bald1

I Dream of Maggies

Appreciate the comments! My old true ribbon MGIIIa's are said to not be all that different sound-wise from the 3.3 / 3.5 / 3.6 units. Again they're in great shape with no signs of delamination and tweeters functioning fine. So the newer 1.7i and LRS use quasi-ribbon technology but not...
  18. Bald1

I Dream of Maggies

T_C, Personally I'd hate to see you not embrace some Maggies. But you have to make choices...and then live with them.
  19. Bald1

I Dream of Maggies

I keep wondering how those LRS would sound compared to my old MGIIIa's. No local dealers to audition any of the new Maggies either. While I have no plans to retire my 1986 vintage MGIIIa's I acquired in 1999, were they to become delaminated or my two decade old capacitor crossover upgrades...
  20. Bald1

What are we listening to right now..

I'm on a roll spinning old vinyl. B.W. Stephenson's 1973 My Maria album is bring back a lot of great memories. :)
Top Bottom