Search results

1. bargainguy

Bricasti M1SE Stereo DAC Review

OK, school me here. Why is Bricasti using a decade-old Analog Devices chip in this DAC? A decade ago, it was their top of the line if memory serves. These days, stiff competition from the likes of ESS, AKM, Crystal, etc. Did they buy a snarfload of them initially and now they're stuck with them?
  2. bargainguy

Ohm Walsh Speakers

I have a pair of Walsh 4's toward one end of a 10 x 15' living room. At various points, I've tried replacing the Walsh 4's with other speakers, yet I keep coming back to them. HF energy seems to be less fatiguing for me than direct radiating speaker designs. Long listening sessions don't...
  3. bargainguy

Share your best “bargain of my life” story.

A decade ago, I was in a thrift store when I spotted a pair of black Ohm Walsh 4 speakers. I had a pair of Ohm G's with Walsh drivers in my youth, so I was familiar with the brand. Each speaker had a price tag of $45. When it came to check out, the employee couldn't figure out whether the $45...
  4. bargainguy

Benchmark AHB2 mono-blocks > Sell one and buy Bicycle?

Right now, the bicycle market is oversaturated with supply from pandemic whiplash. Three years ago, bicycles were like toilet paper, the next thing you couldn't get. Today, the situation is completely reversed. Bike shops have years of unsold inventory. This pushes the new and used markets...
  5. bargainguy

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

@mc.god: I'll fess up to improperly routing the cables, but surely a forum member like yourself understands polarity, right? By inverting both sides, I was listening in correct polarity, as stated above. Your implication that I couldn't have heard nuances because polarity was inverted is...
  6. bargainguy

@Sebby - good catch, thanks. No instructions in the box makes for interesting assembly.
  7. bargainguy

Got mine this morning. Ordered for $16.99 all in from Linsoul, took three weeks to get here from the far east. Initial impressions are excellent. Hearing nuances I normally hear on reference headphones. My solution to the L/R identification dilemma is to paint a white stripe around one base...
  8. bargainguy

Listening SACD with DMP6 eversolo

You can't use a CD drive to rip SACD. You'll need a functioning BluRay disc player, a properly formatted flash drive with AutoScript installed, and the latest version of SACDExtractGui on your computer, on top of an already cumbersome process. Here's a tutorial from PS Audio...
  9. bargainguy

Just wanted to say thanks for the review! I ordered directly from Linsoul. They have a promotion where in exchange for your email address, they give a certain amount off in a spinning wheel. My spinning wheel was $8 off, so total was $16.99 USD, with shipping.
  10. bargainguy

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

@al2002: According to the A6 manual, top of p.17, CD Playback and Ripping: By connecting with a USB CD-ROM, the device can both play music from CD and rip music files from CD. http://music.eversolo.com/dmp/instruction/EVERSOLO-DMP-A6-User-Manual-v1.0.pdf
  11. bargainguy

Help with Streamer/Media Player and DAC

Welcome. I have the Eversolo DMP-A6, and according to Amir's tests, I'm getting ~115dB SINAD from the RCA outs. It's a smidge better via the XLR outs. It will run a NAS system, and is also internal SSD storage capable up to 4TB, which is the way I run it. Everything is controlled via the...
  12. bargainguy

Purpose of pre out ports labelled "zone 2" and "zone 3"

In the X4800H manual, Assign Mode describes how to use the various power amps available. In 5.1ch + ZONE 2/3 Assign Mode, you control the Zone 2 & 3 power amps separately from the main amp. In Playback in ZONE 2/3 > Connecting ZONE > Connection 2, Connection using a speaker output terminal...
  13. bargainguy

Eversolo DMP-A8 Announced

@Oski1928: I purchased my A6 from Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago. When the A6 first came out, I was asking the same question: Where do I buy one? Someone here went to audition the first A6 that store received and posted their experience. Thinking they might have more, I called them...
  14. bargainguy

Soundstage, Imaging and Seperation, which is better? (Polk R700 vs Klipsch RP8000 II)

Here's the thing about soundstage: It has to be in the original signal. If it isn't, doesn't matter what speakers you have, because you won't get it. So your question is really: Within the context of my current system - can I expect better subjective results with the Polks? We don't know...
  15. bargainguy

iPod Touch Gen4 DAC retention question...

Yes. I can't ascribe any characteristics to either one. Even listening to MP3s on the ipod vs FLAC on the Eversolo - I can't tell the difference. If there is one, it's beyond me.
  16. bargainguy

iPod Touch Gen4 DAC retention question...

@Sam Ash, I have the same ipod touch 4. It runs MP3s along with my ipod nano and thumb drives for on-the-go. I have the Eversolo DMP-A6 media player running FLAC in my primary home setup as well as a bunch of other media players running FLAC. I know what you mean about the ipod touch 4's...
  17. bargainguy

Salesman Talk

Find another salesman. If that's not possible, a different retail establishment. Bad recordings sound bad on their own. They don't need any help from "revealing" electronics to sound worse, which is the implication. "See how bad that sounds? I told you it would sound worse than it did on...
  18. bargainguy

Eversolo DMP-A6 or WIIM Pro + separate smsl DO300EX DAC

I've spent a few months with my A6. I would not characterize the sound as "warm and lively." If I had to assign a modifier, it would be "neutral." When it comes to system matching, one must account for what one already has. If your current system leans toward "clinical," you're not going to...
  19. bargainguy

Looking for a ‘dumb’ DAP

I bought a used Astell & Kern AK70 mk. II (2017) DAP last year. Nice sounding unit with Cirrus Logic dual DACs. First thing I did was install a 400GB micro SD to augment 64GB internal storage. Have ~650 CD's stored as FLAC. This works well for me. I can stream to anything, and use my...
  20. bargainguy

Want to buy a Marantz CD6007, advice on the DAC situation?

I'm not stalking you or anyone. I researched the answer to your question and your What Hi Fi? post was one of the first. Are you not taking responsibility for everything you post? So gauging by your last response and that post, it seems like you have something against Marantz. So at the...
Top Bottom