Search results

1. Icewater_7

Fun with vinyl measurements

Here are a couple of links that might be if interest on the usage of modern digital EQs: https://www.production-expert.com/production-expert-1/eq-phase-and-spill-mix-tips https://www.production-expert.com/production-expert-1/are-you-spending-too-much-time-choosing-an-eq-watch-this-video
  2. Icewater_7

There are two kinds of digital EQs that are offered by product developers, linear phase EQs and minimal phase EQs. For your measurement example, you might want to find a minimal phase variety. Digital EQs have improved a lot from the first ones when workflows were migrating from analog to...
  3. Icewater_7

Davey’s post talked about that.
  4. Icewater_7

This is the first I have seen anyone suggesting the use of a band pass filter to roll off both above and bellow the 1K test signals. I will go back and remeasure my final azimuth alignment test with an additional brick wall LP filter above 1K and see what happens to the results. I was also...
  5. Icewater_7

https://www.wallyanalog.com/product-page/wallyfulcrum
  6. Icewater_7

That is a pretty tight response and crosstalk achievement throughout the whole sweep. Very well done!
  7. Icewater_7

I used to adjust VTA by ear, but have come to accept that I just don’t trust that anymore and want to try measurement methods. From what I have read, when a lacquer is cut with both channels at identical levels and are in perfect phase with each other the stylus motion is purely horizontal, not...
  8. Icewater_7

Yes, many difficult tasks require figuring out how to get them done easier. I do get satisfaction from learning experiences when something doesn’t work but I find a better way to do it with success. its possible that this might be my last owned cartridge.
  9. Icewater_7

I spent most of my yesterday continuing to finish my cartridge azimuth alignment. It was quite difficult to get convergence and it took me from right after lunch up to about 8:30 PM to complete. I initially used the 1KHz azimuth tracks on the Ortofon Test LP but had an awful time getting to a...
  10. Icewater_7

Yes, I see why you flagged the Tacet in your chart. Will try my new Ortofon 1kHz L and R tracks with 400Hz brick wall filters and see where I am currently at with azimuth for both crosstalk match and spectrum plot of harmonic orders for both channels. It’s unfortunate that I can’t defeat the...
  11. Icewater_7

Thanks so much for your kind response. I will check that post. I’m not likely to look into other software for computation and plotting as most don’t run on MacOs, and “the scripts” sweep plots, as impressive as they appear, seem to require a fair amount of effort to set up. (such as finding and...
  12. Icewater_7

Is that the Tacet test record with multiple recorded azimuth angles or a different one? Was unaware that the lathes can deliberately set azimuth angle steps off 90 with that kind of range and accuracy. I do have the ability to measure phase very accurately with Pro Tools Ultimate or iZotope...
  13. Icewater_7

Have been trying to make sense of these plots on later posts but still not sure what is the test stimulus (my best guess: static frequency, static volume level, time-variant phase between L and R?). What software is generating these plots from your digital recordings of that stimulus?
  14. Icewater_7

How does the Denon compare to the Ortofon (per azimuth), which is on its way to me right now. I have seen negative comments written about the Ortofon claiming that some of the bands are modulated at levels one will never encounter on commercial LPs. If Azimuth test bands are at standard 0dB...
  15. Icewater_7

In my opinion, the SME is always the most beautiful of tone arms ever designed. I know there are other arms engineered to do things more, different, or better, but they appear to scream “look at me I’m high end!!”
  16. Icewater_7

Thanks for presenting this, I have never really checked my own arm for that and just did. Appears to have the pivot location very close to the vinyl surface.
  17. Icewater_7

I would think that warps might affect some designs of unipivot arms in a similar way. If they rotate slightly even more with azimuth modulation.
  18. Icewater_7

Well, both, I think. Perhaps zenith more, but even if azimuth is still mechanically accurate with an overhang offset there will be a phase differences between the L/R stylus tracing of the groove walls on pure horizontal modulation. With a mixture of both horizontal and vertical modulation in...
  19. Icewater_7

I do believe it has to change azimuth just by going into what I think is a logical argument. On pivoted arms, if one raises or lowers thr arm height at its pivot, the stylus will move frontward or backward. That makes it no longer tangent and therefore off azimuth. Lucky for me my arm was...
  20. Icewater_7

I know it has been a decent amount of time elapsed to remember exactly, but my consciousness is telling me that you were one of the earliest designers to see the inherent advantages of a balanced signal path from input to output. Must have been both so much fun and highly satisfying to develop...
Top Bottom